Man among boys and BIM

Help Support Steer Planet:

Barry Farms

How big does a cow need to be to put Man Among Boys or BIM on her. It would be helpful if you knew a hip height instead of Frame size or a conversion rate because I do not really know how big a 3,4,5,6 etc. is. Thankyou

Barry Farms

Thanks CAB. For anyone who has seen either of these bulls what would you guess their frame score is? And if you have seen monopoly include him to.

CAB

I have seen all 3 bulls and I think they are all comparable to each other. That is having to guess on how Dakota Gold will mature out.

Gargan

From my experience, BIM will add frame despite his small looks. I used him on a larged frame chi cow thinking he would down size but not the case. The calf is huge and to leggy. I love the good BIM's im seeing sell but i think he needs to be used on smaller framed, clubby made type cows. Mab downsized a little for me and my neighbors (my best steer this year was out of mab).

CAB

I'm sorry I was having a moment. I was thinking Monopoly, MAB, & Dakota Gold not including BIM. I agree with Gargan on his statement about BIM calves.

dn91

Gargan said:
From my experience, BIM will add frame despite his small looks. I used him on a larged frame chi cow thinking he would down size but not the case. The calf is huge and to leggy. I love the good BIM's im seeing sell but i think he needs to be used on smaller framed, clubby made type cows. Mab downsized a little for me and my neighbors (my best steer this year was out of mab).

Will BIM add or subtract body, we have a short really stout cow we are flushing but she needs some more body, I was thinking of going with BIM next time but I wasn't sure if the resulting calf would have enough body.

Gargan

from what ive seen, he will not add body. He may even subtract a little.That is the difference that makes a great one for BIM calves is if they have enough body. just my experience

OH Breeder

This is the only one I have of MAB at stud. Have to see if I have any others. He is just smaller statured but thick and has plenty of bone.

Attachments

• Man among men at stud.jpg
    Man among men at stud.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5,558
  • Believe In Me Mature.JPG
    Believe In Me Mature.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,194
  • Believe in Me at Stud.png
    Believe in Me at Stud.png
    589 KB · Views: 1,419

Barry Farms

OH Breeder which bull looked better to you at stud? I bred a few cows to both and I'm anxious already.  (lol)
Which would you say was the more moderate?
Which was more powerful?
Which had the most capacity/spring of rib and middle? Seems like MAB would...

bim1986

MAB to be seems overly short in that photo.  Heck most of these new club calf bulls are built just like that.  I am BIM in guy, had good luck with him and monopoly.

BroncoFan

OH Breeder said:
This is the only one I have of MAB at stud. Have to see if I have any others. He is just smaller statured but thick and has plenty of bone.
I like MAB but I keep hearing that his calves come out looking nice but get more coarse jointed as they get older.  Does anyone have any pictures of any yearling heifers or steers out of MAB?

Diamond

I had the opposite results with BIM He really downsized ours. Nice calves, a few where borderline psyco....I'll stick to the monopolys.

AndersonCattle

All of my BIM calves were small... I bred a 1800lb Large frame Maine cow to him and the calf was real small and looney as a bat... Other BIM calves I sold before weaning because they were nutty too. They all looked good, and I think BIM himself looks cool. My MAB calves that I have seen and sold are more moderate

Barry Farms

AndersonCattle said:
All of my BIM calves were small... I bred a 1800lb Large frame Maine cow to him and the calf was real small and looney as a bat... Other BIM calves I sold before weaning because they were nutty too. They all looked good, and I think BIM himself looks cool. My MAB calves that I have seen and sold are more moderate

I hope my BIM calves aren't any thing like yours - no offense..