Man mauled by Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

From Fox News:
JORDAN, Minn. —  A man died after he was mauled by a bull on a farm northeast of Jordan on Monday, Scott County authorities said.

Nobody witnessed the incident, but family members found the victim and called 911 just before 4 p.m., said Sgt. Phil Nawrocki, an investigator with the Scott County sheriff's office.

"Apparently one of the bulls had pinned the individual in ... a fenced-in area, causing his death," Nawrocki said.

The victim had been doing routine chores when it happened, he said.

The responding deputies shot and killed the bull, Nawrocki said.

The victim's name was not immediately released.
*******************************************************************************************

We just had a man killed in Ohio a couple of weeks ago when the cow whose calf he was treating charged him. His grandsons were with him at the time.
Just a reminder for all those working w/ cattle to be careful!
Red

showcattlegal

Was it a dairy bull? They are the worst about killing people. There was a guy that got killed by a yearling jersey bull a couple of years ago. He was trying to get it out of the yard where his kids where playing. I was taught a long time ago never trust one even if there gentle they will turn on you first before the wild ones.
Lacey

red

showcattlegal said:
Was it a dairy bull? They are the worst about killing people. There was a guy that got killed by a yearling jersey bull a couple of years ago. He was trying to get it out of the yard where his kids where playing. I was taught a long time ago never trust one even if there gentle they will turn on you first before the wild ones.
Lacey

Not sure Lacey, but I agree on those Jersey bulls. They are the smallest but the meanest! My uncle was gored by his Jersey show bull.
Red

DL

A young dairy farmer was killed by his Holstein bull during MI mandatory TB testing. I believe 2 veterinarians were killed (in Ohio?) last year by bulls. Ag is a dangerous business - right up there in danger is the bull - he may be # 1 in terms of killing.

Last night I tripped over one of those giant frozen manure piles hidden under straw - actually it wasn't just a trip - there was flailing, cursing , flying thru the air - I am grateful that my cows are calm and the sight of a flying fruit loop is not novel to them (yeah Bessie, there goes that clod again, can't she learn to navigate? jeez) otherwise I could have been toast! Beware the bull, beware the giant frozen manure pile!

DL

red

Beware of 180# pound gates falling on you & trapping you like a stuck rat!
Red

justme

even Rams can be dangerous.  Years ago a farmer near where I grew up was feeding his flock.  The ram got hold of him and broke his back in several places.  Max survived...ram didn't soon after.  Just goes to show you, bull, ram, boar, or stallion becareful of your male breeding stock.  lol maybe that's men in general lol  JUST KIDDING GUYS!

cowz

red said:
Beware of 180# pound gates falling on you & trapping you like a stuck rat!
Red

That's not funny, Red.  Several years ago, a local man, quite a fitter and clipper, too, was hauling a big load panels in his stock trailer.  Long story, short, the panels fell on him while unloading, pinned him and he died.  So be CAREFUL when you are out doing these everyday projects by yourself!!!   

red

I know cowz because it happened to me. I was lucky though & could get one hand free for my cell phone. Called a nephew who was leaving to chop silage. He turned around & came back. Niece took me to ER. They told me in ER no broken bones except for that collarbone break which is healing. I said "What broken  collarbone?" Sore for two weeks.
Red :)))

cowz

red said:
I know cowz because it happened to me. I was lucky though & could get one hand free for my cell phone. Called a nephew who was leaving to chop silage. He turned around & came back. Niece took me to ER. They told me in ER no broken bones except for that collarbone break which is healing. I said "What broken  collarbone?" Sore for two weeks.
Red :)))

YIKES!  Did this just happen???  Thank God for cell phones!!!  We haul around panels alot in the fall when we go gather up pastures of cattle.  I never would have given it a second thought, it seems like such a normal thing to do.

red

No, it happened about a year ago. I was trying to move a gate to separate a heifer from some young bulls. Lost my balance & the gate feel on top of me. Luckily the bulls were fairly tame, all they did was look at me laying there. I guess I was trapped about a half hour. Really got yelled at too!!!
Red the klutz!

brahmergirl

A month ago we had a big ice storm here in Kansas that dumped 6 inches of ice on the roofs of buildings.  Barns were collapsing everywhere.  First day on my new job, I stopped after work at our local co-op to get a load of feed.  Was talking to my mom on my cell and told her I needed to go get my feed.  she said she had one more thing to tell me and continued to prolong me for about another two minutes.  I hung up my cell phone, sat it in the cup holder and noticed the co-op manager trying to fix a light on the roof of the building that was on the eave.  As I was walking up to the building, I got within 15 feet when the whole 6 inch slab of ice on the roof came sliding off, right in front of me!  It landed on him, bruised his whole body and broke his arm in 3 places!  It just so happens that about a 1/3 of it landed on the scales, it weighted over 10,000 pounds! 

If my mom hadn't prolonged our conversation, I really don't feel like I would be here right now.  So even something simple as walking under a barn roof or eave can be just as dangerous!  From now on, I look before I walk in a building when it has been snowing!  I'll probably never forget that lesson. 

cowz

brahmergirl said:
A month ago we had a big ice storm here in Kansas that dumped 6 inches of ice on the roofs of buildings.  Barns were collapsing everywhere.  First day on my new job, I stopped after work at our local co-op to get a load of feed.  Was talking to my mom on my cell and told her I needed to go get my feed.  she said she had one more thing to tell me and continued to prolong me for about another two minutes.  I hung up my cell phone, sat it in the cup holder and noticed the co-op manager trying to fix a light on the roof of the building that was on the eave.  As I was walking up to the building, I got within 15 feet when the whole 6 inch slab of ice on the roof came sliding off, right in front of me!  It landed on him, bruised his whole body and broke his arm in 3 places!  It just so happens that about a 1/3 of it landed on the scales, it weighted over 10,000 pounds! 

If my mom hadn't prolonged our conversation, I really don't feel like I would be here right now.  So even something simple as walking under a barn roof or eave can be just as dangerous!  From now on, I look before I walk in a building when it has been snowing!  I'll probably never forget that lesson. 

Wow!  Myself, I truly, truly believe in Devine Intervention!!  Same type of thing happened to me last year.  I was working and on the way back to my office I had a flat tire.  Changing a flat, muddy shoulder, cold windy day, GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE!  When I fixed the flat and got to my office, the street was blocked off with ambulances and fire trucks!!

A man driving past had a seizure, blacked out, hit the gas, creamed his truck into the tree in front of my office, coming to a rest inches from my door.  By a total miracle, the man survived, probably because he was unconsious when he hit.  The state trooper said if the truck had hit the tree from a different angle or by a few inches either side, he would probably driven entirely through my office.    I will never whine about a flat tire again!! :)