maternal bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

a few of "maternal" bulls have piqued my interest lateley.  power plus, cunia 602, chill factor, any other linebred cunia or midas bulls.  want to keep PB females.  of those mentioned, powerplus has some tenderness genes, advertised as having at least 5 in some of their latest sales.  other than that,  what do these bull improve and what to be aware of.  looking for longer front to back udders, with some decent curvy veins, nice structure of rear end to carry both a large belly and calf, as well as milk late weaners.  would like a little bit smoother laid in shoulder, maintain long stifle or improve, would like decent bone, no structure issues toeing in and out. nice teat location.  some of the pannell offspring look a little close?

any comments on what type of cow to nick with, what to avoid.  power plus seems very long, wondering if there was any structural issues there in his females either in front of the hooks or behind the shoulders.

red

Personaly, one of my favorite maternal bulls is Foreplay. He just puts out good milkers that make great momma cows. It seems to pass down the line too. He's a 1/2 blood Maine.

Red

chambero

FYI - Power Plus is a PH carrier.  He's a heck of a bull in my opinion though.  Haven't seen him, but have seen enough offspring to like him.

I like the Pistol Pete-Habanero-Lifeline line.  Lifeline isn't as proven as the predecessors, but I think they are good Maine cattle.

knabe

Hi chambero, thanks,

i should have used full names,  i know BK power plus is a carrier.  i am referring to FJH power plus 502M.  i don't think he is a carrier.

he's at a brand new site

http://carlsonmaineanjou.com/

they are also interested in shorthorns.

justme

Carlson's have good cattle...I would give Rick and Rosemary a call and ask them about him.  Rosemary is very knowledgable and so is Rick and will tell you what you need to know.

DL

Favorite Maine maternal bulls
Midas (he shows high up in some of the carcass calculations in the sire directory)
Smithbilt
Magic
Pistol Pete

shortyjock89

Would you guys consider Calberta Hustler a "Maternal" bull?  I know that his daughters milk well and are excellent mothers.  That's just personal experience though.  I know that one of his sons, Hoosier Hot Shot, is siring females that can really go to work in the show ring and pasture.  I just like his daughters.  Could be wrong tho, I usually am haha!

DL

Hey SJ - IMHO there are a bunch of Calbert bulls out of Paydirt that one wouldn't automatically think of as maternal, however Hustler is out of a Reflector cow and Reflector is a Smithbilt son so there certainly is the potential. I don't know how Boogards (sire of Paydirt) was in terms of maternal traits, I know he was really big and that Paydirt was known for his freaky front end. The only Paydirt calves I had were heifer-bull twins - (also pretty framey). Impact (another Paydirt son) is not known for his maternal traits and was pretty popular as a sire of show heifers a while back, but I have an awesome Impact cow - so sometimes ya just don't know. The cards align right and the numbers are meaningless or the cards don't align at all and the nubers may still be meaningless! ;D PS would be delighted to help you with your homework - think you'll make a great vet (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

steermaker

Had a Lifeline bull calf out of a Black Impact heifer this spring.  The mother is not a great milker but she has done a good job of taking care of the calf.  This is a combination that we will use again.  Like the calf, born unassisted to a 22 month old female and the little bit of chrome that he has on his underline and tail is just fine by me.

afhm

How about Intense Plus the phaf full brother to BK Power Plus.  His daughters look very impressive and is calving ease to boot.  I saw BK Power Plus in Denver several years ago, he was very impressive.  He was one of the best there that year among some stiff competition, i.e. Irish Whiskey, Mossy Oak, and Doctor Who.  There were many bulls there that had longevity and staying power, one of the best sets I had ever seen there.

Jill

If the Paw Paw dispersal is any indication, the Intense Plus bull must be really good.  Really impressive sale catalog.

red

I agree Jill, really maternal, good looking, easy keeping cows in that sale.

Red

red

I like my Habanero cows although they can be a pain in the butt when it comes to temperment. The Black Dice line is pretty good but a little high on BW's.

Red

justme

OK here's my 2 cents for what its worth.  My all time favorites are: Popular Haven Smithbuilt, Foreplay, and Ceasar.  Ceasar was wonderful in our heard for females

knabe

justme: My all time favorites are: Popular Haven Smithbuilt, Foreplay, and Ceasar

thanks on caesar justme,  noticed he's in the background of some i've been eyeing like daine's icon who has shown up in a few tenderness genes (heterozygous for all 3) and maternal.  they supposedly have no hair, but i'm not after that.  hadn't explored that part of the pedigree.  might be one of the few that has the seemingly incompatible carcass and the maternal traits.

DL

The only problem I have with Caesar is the $80 certificate - I do like his females, but think there are other bulls just as good without paying the owner for the privilege of buying semen from his bull (that's sure to cause a ruckus!!  ;D

bluegrass

I have a DJ Caesar cow that is all that and bag of chips. Had 4 of them til some guy came along and made me an offer on my whole herd, kept the Caesar and another maternal gem sired by MCF T4B aka Rio, but he is not a purebred.

DL

Hey Bluegrass - I have 2 Rio's on the ground as we speak! How is it that a guy in KY ended up with a Rio cow? I have seen quite a few and they are good cows.

bluegrass

Dragon Lady, I bought her as an open heifer at Hardings production sale in 96. We showed her very successfully then put her to work. She would always calve back in 11 months and always had the stoutest bull calf on the farm at weaning. Her first calf was a heifer by Caesar that went with the herd when I couldn't pass up that offer. I finally got her to have another heifer in spring 06, so had the one to carry on the line and replace her this spring she got a little sore in her hip so sold her at 11 years old along with her big bull calf because I had a replacement in her daughter. Then it turns out that her daughter is a non breeder. So where can I get some Rio semen and how much is it?