Merial "Long Range" wormer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Till-Hill

Did all calves and most the cows last year. Had one pinkeye is all on a p*SS poor doer calf. Most years a few. Really changed our hard doing cows I feel. Won't use cydectin again for worming and fly control. For sure will use long range but it is expensive but I feel it was worth it. Sold biggest calves ever this year too on mostly first calf heifers.  Biggest benefit I seen was fly control as we used fly tags in calves and nothing else in some rough country. Also ran set calves with buddy his had no long range and he had 15% pinkeye on calves and 5% on cows. Same mineral turned in same day. His calves were younger and mine had long range.

creativecattle

I've heard a lot of good things about it, and we'll be using it this year. Our vet gave us the heads up that the price is going up (April I think) so we are buying ours next week.

shortyjock89

We used it last year on all of our Cows. Noticed a big difference on the number of Hereford cows not getting pink eye. Calves weaned off big, and everyone seemed more comfortable out in the pastures.

bart

We have been using it since it was on the market and I think it works great!
They also have the best commercials! I have to chuckle every time I see one!
And knowing what it has done for my cows I was doing that little dance last Tuesday  <party>

drl

Do you guys have any trouble with knots on the neck in calves?

BTDT

If it is used on growing cattle (yearling heifers, yearling bulls, calves) how is the dosage correct from when you administer versus 45 days later when the animal has grown 100 pounds or more? 
That was one thing mentioned in a meeting I went to.  Works great on mature fully grown cattle. Not so much on growing cattle.

ejoe326

I used it the first year out and again last year and will this year.  I did not see any problems using it on calves.  Matter of fact we had some that went to a different farm that didn't get Long Range.  At weaning standing side by side the difference was very noticable.  Pasture conditions were similar, genetics, other management, etc. was all similar. 

But the final answer was in the fecals.  The fecals off the calves that had Long Range, even thought they were dosed at smaller size, were still clean.  The calves without it obviously were not clean.