milch cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

hey sjcattle

would you milch cow book be The Milch Cow in England: A Plea for Constructive Breeding by cochrane?

interesting that no first editions are in america for sale.

sjcattleco

knabe said:
hey sjcattle

would you milch cow book be The Milch Cow in England: A Plea for Constructive Breeding by cochrane?

interesting that no first editions are in america for sale.
Boy are you lucky I just got my copy from Gearld today!!!!  its a photo copied reproduction of a the original book...It is by a Frenchman named F. Guenon

the title is 
Guenon on Milch Cows
'a treatise upon
THE BOVINE SPECIES IN GENERAL

translated from last ...blah blah blah

BY
Thos. J. Hand.

pub by orange judd co. New York...1913..

I will share more about the book once it start to digest it all... it  looks far out there..

knabe

ok, do you have this one?

A TREATISE ON MILCH COWS,WHEREBY THE QUALITY & QUANTITY OF MILK WHICH ANY COW WILL GIVE MAY BE ACCURATELY DETERMINED BY OBSERVING NATURAL MARKS,ETC.

also by guenon.  uh it seems like all this knowledge is somewhere.  hard to find any info on guenon other than he wrote some pretty comprehensive books and had medals on his chest

http://bakewellrepro.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BRCS&Product_Code=GOMCATOTBSIG&Category_Code=BKS

i'm picking it up today

sjcattleco

That is the same thing!!!  its a kinkos copy of the original book!!! Don't be disappointed its not real fancy and kinda hard to read but looks worth while!!!!

Hey we will both read it and then we can talk about stuff and leave everyone else scratching their heads!! :)))

sjcattleco

Hey have you gotten your copy yet????  Man its some tough reading... probably going to be one of those things that I have have to go over about 3 times before it really sinks in!!!

red

I always liked to save those kind of books for times when it was really raining hard or snowing. Not that we've gotten either for a while!

Red

knabe

yes i did get it.

here is an excerpt.

I am the son of a gardener, and i followed for a long time this trade of my forefathers.  Nature had given me an observing turn of mind: I was fond of bringing things together-of instituting comparisons between them- of deducing consequences.  at an early period i became possessed by the idea that i was destined to make some improtant discovery in the branc of industry which i followed.  was this the suggestion of mere vanity?  be it as it may, the thought took root in my mind, and became for me a fixed idea.  with a view to arriving at this wished-for discorvery,  i studied the works of the best writers on botany and agriculture;i learned geometry and the art of drawing, so far as it seemed necessary for me.  I followed up all the ramifications of the vegetable kingdom, and applied myuself to the study of the external signs by which plants and vegetable of different osrts might be distinguished, and their qualities and productiveness might be know beforehand.

when fourteenyears of age, i used, according to country custom, to drive our only cow to the grazing gorund. I was very fond of her, and could have identified her among ever so many.  one day as i was whiling away the time in cleaning and scratching my poor companion, i noticed that a sort of bran or dandruf detached itself in considerable quantities from certain spots her hind parts, formed by the meeting of the hair, as it grew in opposite directions' which spots i have since called ears, from the resemblance they often bear to the bearded ears of heads of wheat rye.    this fact attracted my attention, and i recollected having heard one of my grandfathers say that it was probable there were external marks on cows, whereby their good qualities or their defects might be known,.....

all this however, was as yet but mere speculation-= a brilliant theory, which experience might belie: it was necessary to interrogate nature.  the cow shich i tended was a good milker.  I have already said that i knew her perfectly.  i examined other cows within my reach to see if i should find the same signs in them.  i sought for the bearded ears and scratched those spots in quest of dandruf; the abundance or the scarcity of this being what first engaged my attention. every new cow was comnpared with my own as a standard, and her superiority, equality or inferiority dtermined in my own mind.

from this moment i spared nothing to follow up my observations: no fatique was too great for me;  i have often traveled several leagues in order to examine a single cow. (it was at this point i wondered to myself if this guy ever had any kids)

HIGH COW......first order
Cows of this class are known by their having a delicate udder, covered with a fine, downy hair growing upward from between the for teats.  this downy growth extends upward, over the hinder part of the uddeer and the region above it, blending itself with a similar growth (of hair pointing upward) which, beginning on the legs, a little above the hock joint, covers the inner surface of the thighs, encroaching upon the outer surface to the points AA., and then contractin as it extends upward to the points BBon each side of the vulva, and about 4 inches distant from it.  they generally have, above the hind teats, two small oval marks, ofrmed by hair growing downward, each of which is about two incheas wide by three inches long.  these marks are distinguisable aslo by their color, which is paler than that of the surrounding upward-growing hair.

in the first order of this class, the skin of the inner surface of the thighs and adjacent parts, up to the vulva, is of a yellowish color, with here and there a black spot.  a sort of bran or dandruf detaches from it.  all cows whose escutcheon corresponds, in its.......... (at this point i had to get up and get a wash cloth to bath my boiling forehead, so toiled was i after gleaning with osmosis every bit of knowledge my small brain could handle, i notice flakes coming off my eyebrows, as i sat in shock as i grew an udder and scurs, knowing i would forever be a milch cow)

some interesting topics in the book are spaying of cows (this is 1860).  also comments on why calves look like mike tyson at the punching bag getting that last,BEST drop of milk as it is secreted directly, undiluted from the glans.

i purchased several other books from a guy who specializes in collections purged from the university berkeley libraries and other institutional collections.  lots of flyfishing stuff, zane grey and other non-novel material from novelists who were amateur naturalists,  just really too much stuff, pamphlets, totally eclectic.  he even had a copy of the book i used to learn fishing from by col. joe bates, which i still have, and he had at least 3 copies of his saltwater flytying book about 700 pages.  talk about having a semen tank of old genetics.

also, in may, it rains in indianapolis, and the race was boring till ashley jumped over the railing, found it interesting her beau "earned" the victory as he moved up 14 spots alluding to the other drivers didn't earn anything.  That lady has got to know she is so hot, i mean, low cleavage, silky dress in the rain.  in later years they will probalby make a movie just to show that scene, except the race will have been 500 MILES, and he'll only have 3 wheels.............still miss the days when their were different chassis, different engines including turbine, can still see vividly andy granatelli's face as his turbine car floundered with 1 or 2 laps left and aj foyt won i think his first of 4 races.  kinda tainted it for me.

sorry, how off topic was that?

sjcattleco

I think you book is a bit different than mine!! but it very similar... Mine is not so flamboyant in its style...This stuff is really far out there but if it helps me keep heifers that are just 10% better i will be happy!