monkey mouth carriers

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

another take on MM is that the upper jaw, skull? doesn't elongate.  the lower jaw may be normal length.  don't know.  although on the mm's i've seen, the teeth are a little splayed and flattened a little bit and the grass slips through very easily.  others i've seen the lower jaw looks normal and the nose is shorter and they can eat ok.

justintime

DL.... I was a Shorthorn guy at the start, but I also played around with Maines, Simmentals, Chi's, Hereford, Angus and Charolais along the way. We sold our Maines when we had about 70 breeding age females around here. The Simmi's were sold in the late 80s after several years of severe drought here. The Chi's were only here for a few heart beats.... the Herefords were here for 3 years . My Horned Hereford experience started when a friend asked me to manage his herd for him. He had 18 ET full sibs from some very prominent parents. To make a long story shorter, we dumped them after we found out that the average humming bird had as much milk as some of these heifers. After July 1 st, these heifers only kept their calves company!!!. We sold our Charolais almost 5 years ago privately off the farm. We had 100 purebred cows and we were very fortunate to get the last ones sold just prior to BSE hitting Canada. We still have the Angus cows but they are now used as recips for the Shorthorn herd. So.... the Shorthorns arrived on this farm in  1903. The first registered Shorthorns arrived in 1917. Shorthorns have been here ever since, along with several other breeds of cows for varying periods of time.

Jill

justintime said:
DL.... I was a Shorthorn guy at the start, but I also played around with Maines, Simmentals, Chi's, Hereford, Angus and Charolais along the way. We sold our Maines when we had about 70 breeding age females around here. The Simmi's were sold in the late 80s after several years of severe drought here. The Chi's were only here for a few heart beats.... the Herefords were here for 3 years . My Horned Hereford experience started when a friend asked me to manage his herd for him. He had 18 ET full sibs from some very prominent parents. To make a long story shorter, we dumped them after we found out that the average humming bird had as much milk as some of these heifers. After July 1 st, these heifers only kept their calves company!!!. We sold our Charolais almost 5 years ago privately off the farm. We had 100 purebred cows and we were very fortunate to get the last ones sold just prior to BSE hitting Canada. We still have the Angus cows but they are now used as recips for the Shorthorn herd. So.... the Shorthorns arrived on this farm in  1903. The first registered Shorthorns arrived in 1917. Shorthorns have been here ever since, along with several other breeds of cows for varying periods of time.
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that is just amazing, and something to be very proud of.

red

Jill, I second that. I have always enjoyed JIT's posts. They are ones that both entertain me & also I usually learn something new.

Thanks!

Red

DL

justintime said:

JIT - I didn't mean "your beginnings" I was referring to the Maine-Anjou arrival in North America beginnings - I know your blood has run roan for at least a century! (not your specific, but family - not meaning to imply you are older than me!  ;) And as you might have seen I am venturing into the roan world (and enjoying the heck out of it!) - have you seen Violet? (actually ultra VIOLET - it's a U year)

PS - good move with the Chi's - few heartbeats is long enough :)
I understand there is a group of high milking hummingbirds at the U of Hawaii - they use a rotary parlor - I gather it is amazing  ;D
DL

Telos

Now, now DL. You know how I feel about 12% or less Chi blood.  When used on non Chi's you have only 6% Chi blood. That is not so bad. Is it?

This roan venture is looking more and more appetizing to me, too.

I love those dark ruby reds. Beautiful color.

justintime

I wonder what this business would be like if two bulls had not been imported into North America, those being Deerpark Improver and Cunia. Two defects that affect so many breeders today, may not be "the talk of the town". When I think of all the lines that carry the genetics of one or both of these bulls, it is a bit overwhelming.  Improver and Cunia have probably had as much impact in the background of as many club calf sires as any other two bulls.

I guess we would still have to deal with PHA .

knabe

what's sad, is that one of the relatively closebred cunia son's is still a MM carrier.  this is not how to do linebreeding.  with all the cunia out there, there should be a son that is not a carrier and is at least as good.  just says to me there is a lot of opportunity to excel, even though the cunia semen is dwindling. 

any chance popping in the pasterns might indicate carrier status for spastic pareisis?