Monopoly daughters for making club calf cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
will monopoly be a good bull to breed to herfXangus ...... i heard he doesn't throw a lot of thickness and was wondering if this was right

Well, he's 1/2 Angus.. typically Angus isn't injected to offer muscle. 

Jody,
      When monopoly first came out and had his first calf crop and everyone was ranting and raving about him I thought that exact same thing. Being half angus I thought his calves would grow to be too plain looking to dominate a show ring. But, now some of the absolute stoutest calves I have seen have been sired by monopoly. Obviously the right cow is needed here, but even on average cattle I have seen some freaks. Truthfully I have been impressed lately and I plan on using him heavy next spring......only on my stouter cows though lol.

kfacres

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
will monopoly be a good bull to breed to herfXangus ...... i heard he doesn't throw a lot of thickness and was wondering if this was right

Well, he's 1/2 Angus.. typically Angus isn't injected to offer muscle. 

Jody,
      When monopoly first came out and had his first calf crop and everyone was ranting and raving about him I thought that exact same thing. Being half angus I thought his calves would grow to be too plain looking to dominate a show ring. But, now some of the absolute stoutest calves I have seen have been sired by monopoly. Obviously the right cow is needed here, but even on average cattle I have seen some freaks. Truthfully I have been impressed lately and I plan on using him heavy next spring......only on my stouter cows though lol.

there you go-- only on your stouter cows...  I think Momo's mother might have something to do with him breeding them on stouter than the average half Angus bull...  My buddy Bill Nolan, claims her to be a real beast--  I'd guess and say that for the most part, most people are like you and I- and mating Mono back to the stouter end of their cowherds-- or the entire thing.. and the general public is only seeing the upper end...  Another thing, that I think makes Mona a far better than average 3 way breeding bull-- is that he is half angus to keep the predictability factor in check...

back to my original response...  "typically", was the key word...  to the OQA- Mono (nor is any bull) going to be a super cow changer.  I mean that cow needs some quality to go with that bull-- you can't take a sale barn baldy, and make a great one with him in one generation...  nor can you most any other bull (995)

YVKustomCattle

our cows are on average pretty thick for baldies... is there any  other bulls you would recommend for softer made, easy fleshing baldies

hntwhitetail

You could possibly try some walks alone.  Also seen some good texas twisters that were stoutened up out of avg angus. 

lowann

We have two Monopoly X Ms. Rogers  heifers we kept back. One is due March 5th with an I-80 calf. The other one, a full sister, will be bred this summer. Both are TH & PHA free. Have tons of hair/bone. This picture was taken  October 12th 2010. Not the best.
These heifers are full sisters to the steer in my Avatar.
We have had allot of offers to buy both of them, even from a cattle judge. Not for sale!

Attachments

• 100_0844.jpg
    100_0844.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 322

kfacres

YVKustomCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
im talking clubby though

no duh???  Ever seen a steer show in TX.. Smoke, red, grey, white...  Is about 60% of all you'll see... 

im talking about hair shows

there are hair shows in TX... I live in IL... and see more and more color at every show I attend... 

kfacres

YVKustomCattle said:
ya but wouldn't a black bull like walks alone throw better black baldies than any char

your wanting baldy's...  i thought  you were wanting muscle and thickness..

He might, depends on what kind of cow he was mated to.  I bet you don't get the total pounds of meat with him, as you would with a char or smoke..

you know, the thing about breeding with a smoke bull, and wanting black calves...  is on homo black cows, half the calves will still be black with an F1 smoke bull. 

IMO, you can't beat most completely clubby HW/ HS sons, and grandsons.. Those from clubby bred cows, or high % maines should put more thickness in than any other.

chambero

Couple of thoughts from a Texas breeder:

You can get plenty of hair using Charolais bulls on black cows.  Most of the ones that actually win down here (with hair) are out of purebred bulls on black crossbred cows - with the exception of Milk Man and Solid Gold calves.  Neither are "smokes".  I haven't seen many true smoke colored calves with good, soft hair.

I don't think Charolais bulls are good for use on Angus (never worked for me) or especially Herf x Angus cows.  The Hereford can sure have a tendency to make them too tall.  I actually don't know of anyone using Herf x Angus cows to make show steers.

Personally, I've had more super thick calves out of Monopoly and low % exotic cows than I ever have Heat Wave or any other bull for that matter except Walks Alone.  Walks Alone makes them thicker than any bull I've ever seen (Charolais included).  Monopoly calves tend to be a little more balanced in my opinion.

Frankly I'd breed Herf x Angus cows to maternal Maine bulls to get females that can then produce steers.

kfacres

chambero said:
Frankly I'd breed Herf x Angus cows to maternal Maine bulls to get females that can then produce steers.

What are you talking about... small time, club calf people don't look into the future- and they for sure don't like making females...  ;)  They want STEERS, RIGHT NOW> GREAT ONES>

lowann

Cut the BS said:
chambero said:

What are you talking about... small time, club calf people don't look into the future- and they for sure don't like making females...   ;)  They want STEERS, RIGHT NOW> GREAT ONES>

I have to disagree with you there. We aren't by any means big producers. We have raised some pretty good steers, and breeding heifers. We are always looking to the future for improvement for our herd, and quality stock to sell.

CAB

It's too early to know, but there were some nine One & Only calves around the country last fall. He should get you the white face. We don't know whether or not they'll milk well yet. He is IMO a little taller than some of the other clubbie bred bulls. I do like him, but have not used him personally yet.

Bulldaddy

I have four heifers bred to Crimson Tide for august calves.  One WMW, one Monopoly and two Walks Alone.  I think the Monopoly heifer is going to work and I hope they all do.  Time will tell.

kfacres

lowann said:
Cut the BS said:
chambero said:

What are you talking about... small time, club calf people don't look into the future- and they for sure don't like making females...   ;)  They want STEERS, RIGHT NOW> GREAT ONES>

I have to disagree with you there. We aren't by any means big producers. We have raised some pretty good steers, and breeding heifers. We are always looking to the future for improvement for our herd, and quality stock to sell.

Are you disagreeing with what I said, or the sacastic manor I said it in...

CAB

I don't want to jump Iowann's response, but I do disagree with what you said. When I get together with "club steer" producers, we spend pretty much all of the time asking about, trying to figure out, & analyzing maternal genetics that will work to produce that great "one" steer. We all know 10/20 bulls that can,do, & will work to make steers. I'm way more interested in the maternal side of the steers.

YVKustomCattle

chambero said:
Couple of thoughts from a Texas breeder:

You can get plenty of hair using Charolais bulls on black cows.  Most of the ones that actually win down here (with hair) are out of purebred bulls on black crossbred cows - with the exception of Milk Man and Solid Gold calves.  Neither are "smokes".  I haven't seen many true smoke colored calves with good, soft hair.

I don't think Charolais bulls are good for use on Angus (never worked for me) or especially Herf x Angus cows.  The Hereford can sure have a tendency to make them too tall.  I actually don't know of anyone using Herf x Angus cows to make show steers.

Personally, I've had more super thick calves out of Monopoly and low % exotic cows than I ever have Heat Wave or any other bull for that matter except Walks Alone.  Walks Alone makes them thicker than any bull I've ever seen (Charolais included).  Monopoly calves tend to be a little more balanced in my opinion.

All of our showsteers come from herfx angus and they do quite well