Monopoly daughters for making club calf cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

YVKustomCattle said:
chambero said:
Couple of thoughts from a Texas breeder:

You can get plenty of hair using Charolais bulls on black cows.  Most of the ones that actually win down here (with hair) are out of purebred bulls on black crossbred cows - with the exception of Milk Man and Solid Gold calves.  Neither are "smokes".  I haven't seen many true smoke colored calves with good, soft hair.

I don't think Charolais bulls are good for use on Angus (never worked for me) or especially Herf x Angus cows.  The Hereford can sure have a tendency to make them too tall.  I actually don't know of anyone using Herf x Angus cows to make show steers.

Personally, I've had more super thick calves out of Monopoly and low % exotic cows than I ever have Heat Wave or any other bull for that matter except Walks Alone.  Walks Alone makes them thicker than any bull I've ever seen (Charolais included).  Monopoly calves tend to be a little more balanced in my opinion.

Frankly I'd breed Herf x Angus cows to maternal Maine bulls to get females that can then produce steers.

All of our showsteers come from herfx angus and they do quite well
against who county fairs or big dogs.

YVKustomCattle

Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
chambero said:

You can get plenty of hair using Charolais bulls on black cows.  Most of the ones that actually win down here (with hair) are out of purebred bulls on black crossbred cows - with the exception of Milk Man and Solid Gold calves.  Neither are "smokes".  I haven't seen many true smoke colored calves with good, soft hair.

I don't think Charolais bulls are good for use on Angus (never worked for me) or especially Herf x Angus cows.  The Hereford can sure have a tendency to make them too tall.  I actually don't know of anyone using Herf x Angus cows to make show steers.

Personally, I've had more super thick calves out of Monopoly and low % exotic cows than I ever have Heat Wave or any other bull for that matter except Walks Alone.  Walks Alone makes them thicker than any bull I've ever seen (Charolais included).  Monopoly calves tend to be a little more balanced in my opinion.

Frankly I'd breed Herf x Angus cows to maternal Maine bulls to get females that can then produce steers.

Most winning steer in canada last year
highest earning steer last year in canada
highest price steer sold in 4-h in canada

kfacres

YVKustomCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
chambero said:

Isn't the club calf deal in Canada, quite comparable to the club calf deal in the outback?  Or is it more comparable to the club calf deal in a single county in TX, OK, or OH?

YVKustomCattle

Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
chambero said:

Isn't the club calf deal in Canada, quite comparable to the club calf deal in the outback?  Or is it more comparable to the club calf deal in a single county in TX, OK, or OH?

well its all genetics from the states and alot of the competitive steers come from down thier

Freerider

Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
Cut the BS said:
YVKustomCattle said:
chambero said:

Comparable to the outback?...lol. Southern Ontario is what....15000 km's from Australia.....and well.. borders the US.

Canada club calves are pretty much all Heat Wave genetics just like many US states.....we're not that far away lol

Freerider

Cut the BS said:
big words in open ended statements build self ego.

You're entertaining. 

Facts are facts, opinions don't matter. The vast majority of clubby bulls available in Canada are from the US. However, the show steer market in eastern Canada is nowhere comparable to many US states, we just don't have the numbers or the interest.

Western Canada is a bit different though, but I don't know enough to comment.

Diamond

Just had one calve tonight. calf was unassisted, up and lots of vigor. cows got a good udder and is producing alot more compared to other clubby bred females. If this is what they are like, I would not mind adding a few more to my herd like her. Cows a Lazy M I bought last year right off steerplanet!

SEA

Diamond said:
Just had one calve tonight. calf was unassisted, up and lots of vigor. cows got a good udder and is producing alot more compared to other clubby bred females. If this is what they are like, I would not mind adding a few more to my herd like her. Cows a Lazy M I bought last year right off steerplanet!

Diamond:  The above cow that you are posting about...is this a Monopoly daughter and is she a first calf heifer?  What is the calf out of that was born unassisted?

Thanks,

Diamond

SEA said:
Diamond said:

Diamond:  The above cow that you are posting about...is this a Monopoly daughter and is she a first calf heifer?  What is the calf out of that was born unassisted?

Thanks,

She is a own daughter of monopoly, as well as a first calf heifer. after a string of bad luck I only use calving ease angus and murray greys on all my heifers so im sure this affects the result I had, but she had a 64# steel color mg calf. the cow is protective but not agressive to people. Im supprised and happy with the results, so far shes been the best milking clubby I have had.