My 5 Worst breeding mistakes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bert88

I stole this from another site but i thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think the 5 worst bulls you have ever used or saw calves out of are.  If you want you can put top five best bulls also. 

DLD

Well, if this one takes off, I'd be willing to bet that some of the bulls that make the top 5 list for some will make the bottom 5 for others...

red

hated my Hostage calves. Have to think about others.

Also, what was the most hyped bulls that fell flat on their faces?

Red

Bawndoh

Cherokee Canyon, and lots of people do not like the RA bull Cub either. 

Bert88

Almost Famous and Cookie Monster had to be two that fell flat on thier faces

chambero

I didn't even get a decent feedlot calf out of Paleface on our cows.  I know he's had some good ones, but ours were pitiful.  Calves out of our absolute cheapest bulls outdid them in every way.

showsteerdlux

I heard of alot of people breeding Homebrew and had a big disappointment for alot of people. Its so strange as his 3/4 brother Golden Child is cranking the winners out and Homebrew isnt even really on the seen anymore. Guess thats genetics for you.

red

I think Almost Famous has generated some nice calves.

Blue Tool was one that fell off the radar quickly.

Red

BRdoc

I have some really nice Almost Famous calves this year. Pretty darn consistant. Maybe just got lucky, but nice all the same.

olsun

Add Hired Man to the list. He is big and ugly. sorry bout that.

BRdoc

Olson, I was going to say Hired Man too. But, I like Trausch and didn't want to be negative
Totally agree with you though. That shoulder is pretty rough.

ROAD WARRIOR

Bawndoh said:
Cherokee Canyon, and lots of people do not like the RA bull Cub either. 

More in the RA's - Heavenly and Hi Ho 916 - bought cows bred to these bulls and the calves couldn't run with the ones out of our clean up bulls. Dodged the Cherokee Canyon bullet and have seen some good Cub calves. Saw alot of terrible uddered King Rob daughters so I never used him. RW

OH Breeder

justamom said:
Grand Slam and air force one Herefords
ONe of my friends used Grand Slam last year. Three cows and not one under 135#s. Got one live heifer out of three. Maine/Angus cows. OOUCH! Needless to say he threw the remainder of that cane away. He also had no luck with Black Rhino. The calves were slick haired and long and lanky.

millican

kadabra for me, now i saw a few great ones, but mine were awful, and the same cows had decent or even great calves out of other bulls

bcosu

a few of my favorites are direct hit and who. the direct hits seem to have a great temperment and if you breed who to a sound, bigger bodied cow, then normally you get a marketable calf. also the direct hits seem to be real thick, hairy and have some bone too. all nice components.

aj

As far as genetic defects are concerned.....Warhorse is the worst. He is a carrier for th pha and monkey mouth.A triple winner.

gocanes719

Festus-Our calves out of him looked like whitetail deer.  There was a bull called Slick Star down here in Texas that was a Charolais that had some bad calves for us.