My 5 Worst breeding mistakes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

Bawndoh said:
Cherokee Canyon, and lots of people do not like the RA bull Cub either. 
I am not to familar with Red angus,  but a year or two ago I seen a group of bred hiefers that were cub daughters and I really liked them. 

C-CROSS

Sting hit rock bottom at our place, anything from a 30 # that died to a 130 pounder that is bucked over.

NHR

My neighbors crossbred bulls that keep jumping the fences and causing me panic in my AI operation.

bradycreek

#5-Fence Rider...the neighbors bull "out of champion stock you can be sure" Who needs a clean up bull if you got this one.... :mad:

#4- Dirty Harry...Your tame as a puppy dog clean up bull that knocks you over in the mud for the feed bucket. :(

#3- Hugh Hefner ...Your bull that can't be content in a pasture of 20 old mature cows and decides that 4 young cute yearling hefiers three fences away would be alot more fun. :-\

#4-Extractor...The low 75 lbs. B/W bull and great EPD's that you bought to use on your hefiers......then you burned up two sets of calf pullers, invented new words not fit for children, and gave yourself a hernia yanking out all those 100lb plus calves.  :eek:

#5- Extractors--Revenge....You liked the looks and EPD's of Extractor so much you bred him to your entire commercial cow herd before you knew the whole story.....so now guess what is coming next month... ???

Bonus-  Short Stuff - The nice young gentle pure bred bull "you practially stole at the local sale barn" that you thought would improve your commercial cow herd that just couldn't get the job done and 10 1/2  months lattter your still waiting on the first calf.  Then when you do get your first calf you end up calving the other 25 cows for the next 9 months... :mad:..can you say scattered out..) :mad:--

There you go these are the worst bulls in my opinion that a guy or gal could use. :)..If you have cattle for very long you have probally delt with a few of these famous sires of the bovine industy and if you haven't..... don't worry they will be around forever... :)
don

Bawndoh

Will said:
Bawndoh said:
Cherokee Canyon, and lots of people do not like the RA bull Cub either. 
I am not to familar with Red angus,  but a year or two ago I seen a group of bred hiefers that were cub daughters and I really liked them. 

Yeah I think if you have the right cross you can get some nice Cubs.  But my sister had a son of Cub, and that bulls offspring were terrible.  And I have herd some people talk him down.  But remember, even in the cattle industry, "one persons trash is another ones treasure".

afhm

The ones I just can't get along even though many of you can.  Almost FAmous- too tall, not stout enough
Ali- takes away too much bone & poor conception rates
Checks in the Mail - structure issues, if it wasn't for those darn popping pastern I truely believe he would be the king?
Air Force One - glad I only used a little
Habanero - not stout enough for steers and my females are hard breeders
Kadabra - again not sout enough and structural issues
Friday Nite Lites - should have been called houdini for the disappearing act he pulled
Big n Rich - I have only been around a small few that were any count, his brothers are better but all could be more consistent
Hired Man -  I would really be dreading calving if I had anything bred to Mr. Shoulders here

Jill

Got some Told U So semen if anyone is interested, wasn't smart enough not to buy, but smart enough not to use. :(

KYsteer

1.  I can only speak from personal experience, but I also did not have any luck with Habanero, or as we called him I-bee-narrow. 
2.  Godfather was a cripple producer for us.
3.  The Totally Tuned's were Totally unsalable.
4.  Hot Spot, I guess I really should have saw that one coming.

nysteerguy

I heard and have seen some calves out of Carnac (one's still alive anyway). He was pretty hyped and had some good calves but I have heard of a lot of dangers with using him too. Most would put him in worst 5 I think.

shorthorns r us

Jill said:
Got some Told U So semen if anyone is interested, wasn't smart enough not to buy, but smart enough not to use. :(

didn't he have to be put down just over a year old.  huge crash and burn.  another shorty, below zero.

RSC

nysteerguy said:
I heard and have seen some calves out of Carnac (one's still alive anyway). He was pretty hyped and had some good calves but I have heard of a lot of dangers with using him too. Most would put him in worst 5 I think.
There were nightmare stories on HW when he came out, but once used on the right dam he became a consistant sire.  I have seen some great ones out of Carnac and believe if he is used on the right cows he can breed close to what his sire has with a better front.  JMO, the ones I've seen were not out of Crossed up cows.  The BW might not be better than his sire.

RSC

Wiley

I dnt know what the worst are but i know the ones i dnt like im sure usaed on the right cows that they could work but  ive never seen any of them that ive liked and thats rockstar, home brew, friday night lights, captin hook, and the last of the five would probly be ive never seen any calves out of him but over heater and i know this isnt part of this post but is friction dead i havnt  messed with clubbies in around 2 years  so this may be a retarted question and if so im sorry in advance

Bert88

I saw friction last fall and he could hardly get up, i heard that they put him down a month ago and top sires has his semen at $120.

Jill

RSC said:
nysteerguy said:
There were nightmare stories on HW when he came out, but once used on the right dam he became a consistant sire.  I have seen some great ones out of Carnac and believe if he is used on the right cows he can breed close to what his sire has with a better front.  JMO, the ones I've seen were not out of Crossed up cows.  The BW might not be better than his sire.

RSC

I still have Carnac in the tank and we are still going to flush to him, just had choices I liked better, I've seen some really nice steers out of him, definitely wouldn't be on my 5 worst.

CAB

I've been watching Carnac for 2 years and he was the 1st clubbie bull that I ordered this year. He has produced some vary good calves. There's a reason that Lautner bought Cash Flow.
 I need to say this also. I don't particularly like the idea of this thread. People spend a lot of money promoting bulls for us to use and evaluate @ our own discretion. For us to bash their bulls, especially when on some of them, some of you are going on hearsay, that's not right in my opinion. Sometime if you are the promoter's side, you'll have a different perspective.

Chap

Well said CAB,
I reallly have a tough time with this, and although i have had my share of duds and dissapointments, i can't blame the bull alone for my misfortume.  Always remember the female is >50% of the equation.
I beliieve mating cattle is an art and some are better artists than others.  I really believe that until you have raised/bought/promoted one that is good enough to be discussed on boards like this, we might want to sit quietly in our glass houses.  

itk

CAB said:
I've been watching Carnac for 2 years and he was the 1st clubbie bull that I ordered this year. He has produced some vary good calves. There's a reason that Lautner bought Cash Flow.
 I need to say this also. I don't particularly like the idea of this thread. People spend a lot of money promoting bulls for us to use and evaluate @ our own discretion. For us to bash their bulls, especially when on some of them, some of you are going on hearsay, that's not right in my opinion. Sometime if you are the promoter's side, you'll have a different perspective.

Couldn't agree more. I have bulls I don't like but I'm not about to say it for the world to know. It could get really awkward running into the owner of said bull at a show and them asking me why I posted I didn't like their bull for the whole world to see. This is a negative post for a board that always tries to stay on the positive side.

SRU, I would call Reno over marketed but not the worst bull. We bought 2 shares of Reno and like the few calves we have had out of him. In fact we are going to be putting in some Reno embryos this spring. The semen was alittle pricey for a new bull and then TH came along and took all of the wind out of his sail. I think if he would have been THF people would not have such a negative view of him.