My 5 Worst breeding mistakes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

CAB said:
There is a post that refers to Mulberry, but RW was asking about or referring to Get'r Done.
Oh...IC.  Well if you dont mind the outragous semen price then he is a pretty decent bull.  Mulberry is rumoured to go back to Holstien bloodlines, but I dont really care.  I would probably never use him for the sole purpose that everyone else is, and because his semen is so rediculous.  He is just not my favorite bull.  Rob Roy, now there was a BULL!!  You could not make an angus bull any thicker, wider, deeper, hairier, and from a good family.  There is also another Canadian bull that I am sure everyone has heard about.  Fully Loaded, from Six Mile Ranch.  We were stalled across from him all week at CWA and I really DO NOT understand what all the hype is about.  He won the RBC Beef Supreme championship with some really interesting, and OBVIOUS ringside coaching to the showman!!  It was hilarious to watch the owner signalling the person on halter.  Whatever...I dont like the bull all that much, what does everyone else think??

gocanes719

SRU said:
Jill said:
Got some Told U So semen if anyone is interested, wasn't smart enough not to buy, but smart enough not to use. :(

didn't he have to be put down just over a year old.  huge crash and burn.  another shorty, below zero.

Below Zero is in Western Oklahoma.  He is a good looking sucker with one testicle.

knabe

Bawndoh said:
  Fully Loaded, from Six Mile Ranch. 
Whatever...I dont like the bull all that much, what does everyone else think??

i'm naive about RA,
went to their website, looks like a decent bull to me, i'd like to blow him up a little in his upper fore rib, straighten out his topline just a tick, but he seems to be a wide long tracker, decently clean fronted bull, thick made bull.  i kinda like him.  would like to see carcass info, bovigen info, scan info SC, etc, but that goes for just about any bull.

ROAD WARRIOR

Bawndoh said:
CAB said:
There is a post that refers to Mulberry, but RW was asking about or referring to Get'r Done.
Oh...IC.  Well if you dont mind the outragous semen price then he is a pretty decent bull.  Mulberry is rumoured to go back to Holstien bloodlines, but I dont really care.  I would probably never use him for the sole purpose that everyone else is, and because his semen is so rediculous.  He is just not my favorite bull.  Rob Roy, now there was a BULL!!  You could not make an angus bull any thicker, wider, deeper, hairier, and from a good family.  There is also another Canadian bull that I am sure everyone has heard about.  Fully Loaded, from Six Mile Ranch.  We were stalled across from him all week at CWA and I really DO NOT understand what all the hype is about.  He won the RBC Beef Supreme championship with some really interesting, and OBVIOUS ringside coaching to the showman!!  It was hilarious to watch the owner signalling the person on halter. 
Whatever...I dont like the bull all that much, what does everyone else think??
Mulberry semen is pretty pricey but from the calves I have on the ground and the ones I've seen in the last year, he may be worth it compared to some $20 - $35 bulls that are available. Rob Roy was a nice bull, I was stalled beside him in Denver the last year they let the up north cattle acrossed the border. Lots of mass and power but kind of put togather in 3 pieces. Most of the calves that I have seen out of him follow that patern as well. I fyou need the power he is not a bad choice at all. I don't think there is Rob Roy semen available in the US at this time however, if there is it is in very limited supply and probably owned by Brylor Semen Sales. A good friend of mine from Canada who's oppinion as a breeder I respect alot told me to stay away from a bull called Sakick (SP) as well as Fully Loaded. RW

OhShOwEr

red said:
yes, what we need to remember is that not every bull will work for us. We don't see every calf out of a bull, just the few in our own corner of the world. I know a lot of breeders read these boards & I know I'd hate to see one of my cows/bulls bashed. If it's because of your breeding than that's fine but let's be careful.
I was earlier thinking of bulls that were heavily promoted but that you never heard of again or no calves seen.

let's keep it interesting, fun & try not bash any one group or person.

Off the "red" soapbox for a while.

Red

Maybe we should say what type of cow this "breeding Mistake" Happened with...such as Lifeline on a heatseeker cow? 

shorthorns r us

gocanes719 said:
SRU said:
Jill said:
Got some Told U So semen if anyone is interested, wasn't smart enough not to buy, but smart enough not to use. :(

didn't he have to be put down just over a year old.  huge crash and burn.  another shorty, below zero.

Below Zero is in Western Oklahoma.  He is a good looking sucker with one testicle.

i have the wrong name associated with another bull.  your comment made me look at the shothorn database.  below zero was not the bull i was thinking about.  can't remember the bull's name but he had to be put down because he went cripple and never froze any semen.  again, i did not mean below zero.

where is the below zero bull at here in oklahoma?

knabe

i wonder what the rejection rate for fertility of bulls in general and by breed are.

of course there are subcategories, diameter, too fat, injured, trauma, temp issue, twisted, motility, count, tailless, headless, but just the overall failure rate.

any guesses?

Bawndoh

[/quote]
Mulberry semen is pretty pricey but from the calves I have on the ground and the ones I've seen in the last year, he may be worth it compared to some $20 - $35 bulls that are available. Rob Roy was a nice bull, I was stalled beside him in Denver the last year they let the up north cattle acrossed the border. Lots of mass and power but kind of put togather in 3 pieces. Most of the calves that I have seen out of him follow that patern as well. I fyou need the power he is not a bad choice at all. I don't think there is Rob Roy semen available in the US at this time however, if there is it is in very limited supply and probably owned by Brylor Semen Sales. A good friend of mine from Canada who's oppinion as a breeder I respect alot told me to stay away from a bull called Sakick (SP) as well as Fully Loaded. RW
[/quote]

If you dont mind me asking, why did your friend tell you to stay away from these bulls??  I know the breeders quite well, but I am not going to go running to anyone telling them what you said.  I acutally work for Genex and have to sell Sakic semen.  Any little bit of info really helps me, whether positive or negative.  If you dont want to reveal info on here, then PM me please.

ROAD WARRIOR

It was his oppinion that neither of these bull would work on my cows. He really di not like the Sakic bull at all. When I pressed him for reasons, all he would say was go ahead and use him if you want to set your herd back 10 years. He really doesn't like him!

knabe

ROAD WARRIOR said:
It was his oppinion that neither of these bull would work on my cows. He really di not like the Sakic bull at all. When I pressed him for reasons, all he would say was go ahead and use him if you want to set your herd back 10 years. He really doesn't like him!

it's comments like these that encourage me to press for specifics, and if none are given, i will take one that has specifics with more weight and pursue further commentary, particularly with the breeder and specific cow types.

that's like me saying i can't stand liberals cuz it would set the country back 10 years.  SRU at least has the sense to call me on it when i'm suffering from a complete lack of sagacity and bloviating.

Bawndoh

Wow....Six Mile Ranch is definately not people who raise Angus cattle that will set your herd back 10 years!!  They have incredible looking females, easy keeping with perfect udders, and foot and leg structure second to none.  I am really not fond of Fully Loaded, but they didnt raise him.  I could bet you that 90% of the Angus herds in Canada go back to Six Mile, especially their females.  They have probably 600 or better head of purebred and commercial cattle raised in the Cypress Hills area.  It really wows me that he would have said something like that!!   Well, Im not mad, just suprised!!

ROAD WARRIOR

Bawndoh said:
Wow....Six Mile Ranch is definately not people who raise Angus cattle that will set your herd back 10 years!!  They have incredible looking females, easy keeping with perfect udders, and foot and leg structure second to none.  I am really not fond of Fully Loaded, but they didnt raise him.  I could bet you that 90% of the Angus herds in Canada go back to Six Mile, especially their females.  They have probably 600 or better head of purebred and commercial cattle raised in the Cypress Hills area.  It really wows me that he would have said something like that!!   Well, Im not mad, just suprised!!

Bawndoh - sent you a PM on Sakic. RW

Show Dad

Getting my 2 cents worth in late here but I respect RW's opinion. Not to say he would persuade me to use or not use a bull but if he says "hey" that gets my radar going. Makes me start looking and asking questions.

My opinions:
Mullberry traces back to Rambo and that's why I will use him. A good bull sires his replacement a great bull sires his replacement and his dam's replacement (in other words he sires the next generation of the herd). Rambo has done this many times over and Mulberry is in the process of doing the same. Sakic has not (but a lot of bulls regardless of breed fall into this category). Fully Loaded is worth watching but I do plan on using him on a few cows to see how he does up close.

Hey RW & Bawndoh what do you think of the Roy Rogers bull? He's a Genex bull I believe.

ROAD WARRIOR

SD said:
Getting my 2 cents worth in late here but I respect RW's opinion. Not to say he would persuade me to use or not use a bull but if he says "hey" that gets my radar going. Makes me start looking and asking questions.

My opinions:
Mullberry traces back to Rambo and that's why I will use him. A good bull sires his replacement a great bull sires his replacement and his dam's replacement (in other words he sires the next generation of the herd). Rambo has done this many times over and Mulberry is in the process of doing the same. Sakic has not (but a lot of bulls regardless of breed fall into this category). Fully Loaded is worth watching but I do plan on using him on a few cows to see how he does up close.

Hey RW & Bawndoh what do you think of the Roy Rogers bull? He's a Genex bull I believe.

SD - I just PMed you on this bull.

OH Breeder

SD said:

My opinions:

I thought about using himMulberry on one of my Shorthorns. I saw SEK has him now. Would you say he adds size or moderates? Does he add frame and body?

Bawndoh

SD said:

My opinions:

I hate to say this again...but I am a Genex Beef Rep.  I am patiently waiting to get the test results back that determine whether or not Roy Rogers semen can be sent to Canada.  My sister is using him on about 5 head.  We have some Sam's Prospector in our cattle, and he sires extremely attractive cattle and has done well for us.  We also loved Rob Roy (Roy Rogers sire), so it is a pretty easy decision for my sister to use him.  Judging by the fact that he won 3 major shows I am sure that he is a pretty impressive bull.  He has phenotype to burn, and phenotype, attractiveness, and functionality are the most important things for us.  We dont worry too much about EPD's, as they are an estimate and a tool as to how an animal will develop.  BW, WW, and YW also play a role in bull selection.

Bawndoh

OH Breeder said:
SD said:

My opinions:

I thought about using himMulberry on one of my Shorthorns. I saw SEK has him now. Would you say he adds size or moderates? Does he add frame and body?

He should keep size at that 6+ frame.  He is not a downsizer.  He will definately add body and thickness as well.  Go to www.brylor.com, and check out Brylor's page(s).  The semen directory should have a load of pix of progeny.  Bryan Mackenzie is also selling semen to the U.S. on most of his bulls.  Some of Brylors bulls are as good as they look, some were just well marketed.  Another bull to look at is Master Plan...he is the top RA sire in Canada for the past couple years.  Have a look.

GONEWEST

this is a wonderful topic because it underscores the lack of consistency and variation we have in what we do. That's why I always preface things about bulls by saying, "in my experience." LOL

So......in my experience:

Red hates Hostage. I have a neighbor who uses Hostage every year and gets great calves, big bodied, big butted, winners. some are nuts. Red loves Hard Core. We are yet to get a calf with any bone or body at all from him. lol

Chambero doesn't like Paleface, sire of some of the best calves I've ever had. I'll have to send him some pics.

The Hereford AF1 sired the second worst calf I've had in 29 years. But A friend who breeds Herefords uses Grand Slam religiously and sells  lots of champions.

Ali, used 19 straws got 19 pregnancies. One left to use Saturday. IMO one of the best all around beef bulls of any breed ever. He gives us look, performance, saleability and that doesn't happen with calving ease bulls. I will concede finer boned than I'd like, but that's what makes calving ease bulls calving ease bulls.

Kadabra used him on Angus cows with no butts what so ever and got steers that would not classify as Angus because they were too big boned and too thick.

Godfather sired the first "clubby" steer I raised. He was terrible. He was so hairy we called him the Yak. A guy offered me $900 for him two days before I was taking him to the sale barn. So i took it since money from people with no sense spends as well as any other. 5 overall championships and numerous breed championships later, I learned a lesson or two. He's the calf in my avatar. That cow always works with him.

I've bred purebred Simmis for 29 years. To me Dream Catcher was a can't miss bull. I liked how he looked in Denver, he had a great momma, nothing not to like. Not a single calf we had didn't make the trip to the sale barn. Took the last one today. They included the absolute worst calf I have ever seen, much less raised, in my life time.

As far as bull bashing goes, I'm not a believer in it at all. However, I also agree with the post that said if the only information you receive is that which is being advertised and paid for, then  you have nothing to make a decision on. Everyone can't get out and see the number of calves a big time steer jock does. I will concede that it is difficult to discern fact from hearsay as well. But we have to hear the results of using a bull by others because we are all searching for that elusive consistency.

As to the breeder?owner helping giving you their opinions, I've never talked to one who wasn't friendly and approachable. But when they give you all the same thing, especially for the clubby bulls, it doesn't help much. The "this bull works best on moderate to small framed, correct, soggy, long, clean fronted cows" sounds like a broken ecord. My neighbors bull works best on those same cows.

As far as not posting opinions because someone spends a ton marketing the bulls, they make a ton, too if they are any good. I don't think they should be immune to the failure of their product in certain situations or overall.

As to the breeders getting mad because you told someone you had a negative experience with their product, I say so what?? If smith and wesson produced a gun that backfired once in a while, would you care if they got mad if you told someone about it? The truth hurts.

My point is that although it's difficult sometimes to discern fact from fiction, we should share our experiences with each other. And because we all get such different results, there is no need to argue about which bull this guy should use and which one he shouldn't. Just because super bull worked for me and didn't for you doesn't mean either of us is wrong. It just points to the variation that is to be expected in what we do.

itk

I agree with you to a certain extent. I have told numerous breeders their bull didn't work for me but I did it face to face and not over the internet. The one thing I like about this site is there is less anonymity then on other sites so the person posting is more responsible for what they are saying. Obviously my name isn't itk but I have posted my name, address, and phone number on here enough that people know who I am. In the whole scheme of things I'm not a real important player in the cattle industry but I know alot of people that are. I consider most of these people my friends and have enough respect for them to bring any issues up with them and not just smear them on the internet. I think it is perfectly alright to tell a bull owner what dose and doesn't work for you and if you are having problems most of the time the owner will help you out. If their bull is throwing bad calves it makes them look bad. I find it amazing that people will sit on a computer behind a made up name and bash bulls without considering the type of cow he was used on or consulting with the owner. There is also a big difference between saying "this bull didn't seem to work as well on my large framed cows" and "this bull is a piece of crap."