"MY TURN" Information by Brad Hook.....please read.

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbh

"MY TURN" is unequivocally the BEST bull I've EVER promoted......and those are BIG WORDS, especially since I owned Heat Seeker, which has overtook our industry in nearly every possible way through HIS OFFSPRING. I feel My Turn is the best, BECAUSE of his CONSISTENCY.....I've never, ever seen a 4-way cross bull breed so true, and being homozygous black and solid patterned is only an added bonus in MY book!  My Turn has produced SO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the way he's bred (Heat Seeker x Who/Total Play) that I honestly wondered where ALL the BONE and SQUARE HIPS and BIG FEET were coming from?????  Turns out......MOST of it wasn't from Heat Seeker or Who or Total Play!!!

WHAT????

I've not been at liberty to legally say anything until DNA tests were confirmed....BUT I feel we're close enough that I can go ahead and inform you of what has been going on the last few months......

The Chi Assoc.(who has been GREAT to work with) called and said they needed another DNA sample from Heat Seeker due to some progeny not matching up with every DNA "marker" of him.....and one of those animals was My Turn.  They thought the original sample had been corrupted and just wanted a fresh start.  In the mean time, the Chi. Assoc. switched testing labs (which took a bunch of time), and I assumed the "NEW" sample had went through and cleared everything up.  You can imagine my SURPRISE when the new sample came back farther off than the first one.

THEN.......My Turns dam was DNA'd to Who Made Who.....and the test results came back.......NOT EVEN CLOSE!  I'm thinkin' what in the WORLD is going on here!!!

(This is where it gets TRICKY....and I'll have to bite my tongue for a while!)  The "Breeder" of the bull was contacted numerous times and was very little, to NO HELP...... leaving us hanging out to dry to figure this mess out like a CSI episode!!....and that's ALL I'm gonna say about that part of this "TANGLED WEB THAT HE WOVE"!

About My Turn's DAM.......

It appears My Turn's dam was raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (who are COMPLETELY INNOCENT in ALL of THIS).......and is out of a Gregory/Ohlrich bull that was division champion in Denver, and NEVER pictured......called KABOOM, a 3/4 Maine bull out of Kadabra and a PB Maine cow that is a full sister to Jirl Buck's bull, Backdraft's mother.  He was known for producing very sound, functional cattle with a big bone and foot.

The dam of My Turn's dam is the "RUBY" donor of Wayne and Barb Ohlrich.....a two year in a row Division Winner in Louisvile, and awesome donor that NEVER MISSES for them.....her sire was a REALITY son from Horsely's.

This ACTUAL DNA test is currently being processed, but a test of Kadabra was performed and was off "4 markers", which is consistent with being a son of, which KABOOM is.  This will be verified within the next week, but I'm REAL SURE it will be exact.

About My Turn's SIRE.....

Greg Kroupa(who is COMPLETELY INNOCENT in ALL of THIS) just sold a cow in his last Sweet Hearts sale that brought $31,000 for half.....she is an Ice Pick/Dunk(Sm)/Angus and everyone that sees her says she is one of, if not, the BEST COW they've ever laid eyes on.  This cow had a natural bull calf sired by Hotmail....a Heat Seeker x Mailman son that sired several champions and was quite popular for a while, that was purchased by the "BREEDER" of My Turn.  This bull jumped a fence and injured his penis and had to be destroyed....BUT, it appears he just might of got at least ONE COW SETTLED in his lifetime......My Turn's mother. 

The "BREEDER" of My Turn, claims he NEVER SAW the bull near the cow......and since the bull is DEAD, there is NO DNA on HIM.....BUT, it appears he is "4 markers away" from the same parentage as others bred similar, and a current DNA test of Hotmail should come back about "4 DNA markers" off, confirming in MY MIND,......this is indeed what happened.

"MY TURN" went through 4 different cattle traders before I bought half of him right before Denver.......they ALL SWEAR that they were told he was a Heat Seeker/Who/T.Play and I have no reason NOT to believe them.

The GREAT thing about this is that it actually brings some "FRESH AIR" into a nearly SUFFOCATED club calf sire gene pool.  It brings genetics from some of the GREATEST CATTLE PRODUCERS in existence.....Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (Point Taken, Open Bar, Stands Alone, and now My Turn), Gregory's in OK, and Greg Kroupa,....and from some of their very BEST cow families!......and most of ALL it eliminates Who Made Who from his pedigree to free him up to be used back that way.  As I said in my opening paragraph......My Turn is THE most consistent bull I've ever promoted.....now maybe we know WHY!

If you have any questions....please feel free to call me. I'm still calving a bunch, so leave me a message if I don't get to the phone. Thanks, Brad.

aj

If you owned heatseeker I think they should  throw you in jail for all the contamination of th your bull has done. Just kidding. Public service? ;D

herefordfootball

Thanks for the info and update. We'll definitely using him on our Hannibal donor now, the who was the only thing that kept us from using him(no offense to Who, just didnt want to double breed that close). Never found a bad or just average calf out of that bull, they've all been pretty darn good around here. :)

jbh

aj said:
If you owned heatseeker I think they should  throw you in jail for all the contamination of th your bull has done. Just kidding. Public service? ;D

Ain't that the TRUTH!!!.....

Let me tell you a WEIRD story about that......

One day I was on a four wheeler just driving through the herd that Heat Seeker was raised in, looking at that years calf crop for the Pasture to Purple Sale.......I kept noticing ALL of these cow with tons of leg and body hair and generally a big foot.....so I wrote down the numbers of the cows to see how they were bred.  They were ALL AF Improver 145 daughters.

I called Bob May on the cell phone and said...."I don't know what I'm seeing here....but I've NEVER SEEN it before,.....and I thiink it's going to be BIG!"

Little did I know, that was the first sign of TH I'd ever see and just what the FUTURE would hold for this little jewel of a defect! It was truly a moment in history that I'll NEVER FORGET!

mlcattle

thanks brad, heard this before ohio expo. love the bull, have a my turn cow that had a sweet@$$ mamas boy heifer this year.

shortdawg

Now I'm getting real excited about my two My Turn fall heifers that will be here in Sept.

SHAGGY

I just want to say thanks for being honest with everyone about it, i am not going to mention names but i know other people that own a lot of bulls that would have never came on here and said anything. Still going to use some My Turn this year, seems to be making them good.

knabe

i read it, but am not clear if he's TH free or not and that he might be PHAC due to association with backdraft?

cattlepimp

Good bull indeed, used him the last 2 years, BUT......i think he is too close to your "NO BULL" sale......still havent had a bull calf! I think im just jinxed!

SHAGGY

I would say he is still a thc and phaf if they tested him for it his pedigree wouldnt have any more bearing on the outcome, that is if he was tested for both to begin with.

jbh

knabe said:
i read it, but am not clear if he's TH free or not and that he might be PHAC due to association with backdraft?

TH and PHA status stay the SAME.....TH carrier - PHA FREE.......

Knabe.....I also thought we dodged a PHA bullet after figuring this out. 

jbh

cattlepimp said:
Good bull indeed, used him the last 2 years, BUT......i think he is too close to your "NO BULL" sale......still havent had a bull calf! I think im just jinxed!

I'm 10 for 12 heifers this year so far......on steer matings!!!  Aggrivating!  The only mating I wanted to be a heifer came 9 days early and was a BULL!  We didn't have that GOOD of luck with our sexed female semen!  (lol)

jbh

Alpha said:
ok call me stupid but how is he bred now ...... or what is he being DNA to
_

Sire: Hotmail Son x Ice Pick/Dunk(sm)/An

...... Raised by Greg Kroupa.....dam of this bull just brought $31,000 for half and is still on Greg's website. Full sister sold in Wade Rodger's bred heifer sale for alot of money (don't remember exactly how much).

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby .....raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (this DNA test will be done in a week or so, but the Kadabra test was only 4 markers off of a possible 96 markers total, so we're pretty sure it's this female, one of the two that the "breeder" purchased from Ohlrichs.

LFFASHOWER

jbh said:
Alpha said:
_

...... Raised by Greg Kroupa.....dam of this bull just brought $31,000 for half and is still on Greg's website. Full sister sold in Wade Rodger's bred heifer sale for alot of money (don't remember exactly how much).

Dam: KABOOM(MA) x Ruby .....raised by Wayne and Barb Ohlrich (this DNA test will be done in a week or so, but the Kadabra test was only 4 markers off of a possible 96 markers total, so we're pretty sure it's this female, one of the two that the "breeder" purchased from Ohlrichs.

On cattle.com it says it is a heatseeker or are you talkin about a differnt bull?

shortyjock89

LFFASHOWER said:
jbh said:
Alpha said:
_

On cattle.com it says it is a heatseeker or are you talkin about a differnt bull?

Did you read the first post? Brad is saying that My Turns parentage was misjudged for the get go and now its being sorted out.