"MY TURN" Information by Brad Hook.....please read.

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

Too bad the name "It's Complicated" is already taken. Otherwise you would maybe need to change My Turn's name. I do think it is great to see some new outcross genetics to the club calf industry. Will My Turn have Maine papers now, and what percentage will he be?

jbh

ZNT said:
Too bad the name "It's Complicated" is already taken. Otherwise you would maybe need to change My Turn's name. I do think it is great to see some new outcross genetics to the club calf industry. Will My Turn have Maine papers now, and what percentage will he be?

The DNA test to KABOOM has to come through first....and then we'll go from there....I'll try and keep you informed.

frostback

Well if there is not Heet Seeker, Full Flush or Who Made Who, maybe Meyer 734,  in a clubby pedigree then it is pretty much new blood and a outcross.

knabe

frostback said:
Well if there is not Heet Seeker, Full Flush or Who Made Who, maybe Meyer 734,  in a clubby pedigree then it is pretty much new blood and a outcross.

ugh.

i would have to add draft pick, cunia, any chi %  and quite a few other bulls/cows.

A.P.

Hey brad

What is the lot number of the cow in kroupa's sale

TIA

jbh

knabe said:
what specifically is an outcross?

In my opinion....you really can't consider My Turn a "TRUE" outcross.......BUT, in comparison  with the close knit matings of the past 3-5 years.....he opens up a DIFFERENT ROAD that's similar and proven, yet not quite so crowded with the same ole stuff...

Many called Heat Seeker an "outcross" when he hit the scene.....and he was to all the Power Plant and Cunia.....but he still had Total Play just two generations back....just like every other chi influenced popular bull at that time......and truth be known, I think there was also a little sampling of Power Plant in there too!

Believe me....I've racked my BRAIN for a "REAL" outcross for several years.  Probably the CLOSEST and most exciting thing I've seen in years happened at he Ohio Beef Expo this year.......the SUPREME HEIFER.....and in my opinion, EASY SUPREME......was from Canada.....out of a Heat Wave x Galloway herd bull and a purebred Galloway cow.  Yes.....nearly 75% Galloway.  I NEVER thought those words would be coming out of my mouth!......BUT, she was NICE!

jbw

I think that My Turn was named by his sire.....Thats what the sire was bellowing as he went over the fence!! <rock>

DTW

That cow looks like she has a ton of power in her.  Little short strided but alot of muscle.

MYT Farms

zach said:
we have a My Turn heifer. SHe is our best heifer so far.  ... she's perfect

I'll be danged!! And here I thought you just couldn't make them like that! I better run over to my A.I. rep and grab some of that My Turn stuff. ;)

TMJ Show Cattle

Brad, I have wondered what ever became of the Kaboom bull. My brther called from Denver and spoke of him being a really good bull. Never heard much about him til now!! What duz My Turn seem  to  click with? Smalll or large frame? What combo? Maine/Angus Sim/Angus? Curious.

knabe

DTW said:
That cow looks like she has a ton of power in her.  Little short strided but alot of muscle.

especially on the left rear.  if her head was different, she'd almost look like a bull.  hope she settles and can milk.

BIGTEX

knabe said:
DTW said:

especially on the left rear.  if her head was different, she'd almost look like a bull.  hope she settles and can milk.

That's funny! She does look like a bull from behind.

rocknmranch

BIGTEX said:
knabe said:
DTW said:

That's funny! She does look like a bull from behind.

I thought the same thing, she looks like a bull. In my opinion she doesn't fit my ideal of a female that would be desireable. This too me is an example of being so caught up in muscle and power to fit the club calf phenotype. Seems that we have strayed from the more important female characteristics . I want a female to be able to carry calves up till shes 10, milk well, and calve easy. Don't know if that will happen, time will tell. Secondly, what about carcass? A club calf is suppose to be used as a market animal. Are the calves actually being consumed well? What about the food additives that we are placing into these calves to get them to this point? Are those something that you really want to be eating? Are we getting the most bang for our buck, when we are producing club calves? What is their yield like? Makes me think about the extremeness of hogs a few years back, and how things have changed from that because those pigs were not eating well. That was my random tanget for the day..... 

Latest posts