NAILE Open Shorthorn Show - a couple interesting facts.

Help Support Steer Planet:

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Shorthorn line breeding is not inbreeding! Crazy people need to get a clue and study some bloodlines. Yes Trump is the best show producing bull there ever was and ever will be. No other bloodlines will ever come close and if they do its probably because they have heavy Trump influence. I think sometimes we lose sight of whats actually going on here. These are "show cattle" and not range cattle so i don't see a type change coming anytime soon. Congrats to all the winners and the respected programs producing these animals.

J

JTM

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
Shorthorn line breeding is not inbreeding! Crazy people need to get a clue and study some bloodlines. Yes Trump is the best show producing bull there ever was and ever will be. No other bloodlines will ever come close and if they do its probably because they have heavy Trump influence. I think sometimes we lose sight of whats actually going on here. These are "show cattle" and not range cattle so i don't see a type change coming anytime soon. Congrats to all the winners and the respected programs producing these animals.
Agree and agree. The type can change as far as phenotypical design in the show ring which I believe it has somewhat because of the leading breeders choices of the last few years.  A lot of the cattle are getting more moderate, shorter bodied, and shorter hipped. There are still some really good ones that are longer bodied and larger framed but I believe the best direction has been what has been winning here lately, the moderate framed but long bodied cattle similar to Vogel's reserve heifer. As far as the type changing in terms of performance and being range cattle that can survive in range conditions, ummmm, not quite...

Doc

JTM said:
One observation I made was the ridiculous size of some of the heifers compared to the others in the class. One 2011 heifer I calculated had a 5.00 WDA. Come on now people, this is getting ridiculous. Thankfully the judge was calling some of them out for being too large for their age, but that was only about half of the time. I guess it is better than what has been happening in the past. Also, who would move a bulls birthdate that far??? Seen some pretty sad stuff but also some pretty good stuff.

I guess the bull could have been about 150 lbs at birth...

Yea, There was a SULL prefix hfr in the Jr show that was Oct. 2010 . She weighed 1385 lbs. She also ended up standing like 6th out of 8 , I think. She outweighed everything in the class by like 3 or 400 lbs.

trevorgreycattleco

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:

How do you know no other bull will ever come close? Trump on a Trump on a Trump on a Trump seven ways from Sunday is what? Linebreeding. Thats ok. But the bottom line is, if you show up at Louisville or Denver with tons of cattle that are just "show cattle" then what does that say about the breed. Show breed. Drives me nuts honestly. So many other bloodlines that can roll with commercial angus cattle but everybody wants to win a show not sell 30,000 straws of semen. How many bulls have shorthorns put into studs lately? NOT VERY MANY. Ask Schaff's, Connealy's, Sitz's  how much semen their bulls have sold this past year. The biggest piece of the pie lies in the commercial side of this business and shorthorns just continue to ignore it.

trevorgreycattleco

Oh yeah, Im curious..... How did those 100,000 dollar plus heifers do? Is it possible to make money on something that expensive or just a very nice write off? I have seen some angus bring that kinda bucks but normally they are already leased to a stud or 3 or 4 massive ranches went in together. Good debate on this thread.

nkotb

I heard a very good quote, possibly on here, about the linebreeding/inbreeding debate:  "If it works, it's linebreeding, if it doesn't, it's inbreeding."  Looking at all the Trump X Trumps that are winning, I have to wonder how many didn't work?  That said, we breed and show shorthorns, not $100,000 level, but we do OK.  We look at spending the money as a hobby instead of a career.  Some families go to the lake on weekends, we go to the barn.

OH Breeder

trevorgreycattleco said:
Oh yeah, Im curious..... How did those 100,000 dollar plus heifers do? Is it possible to make money on something that expensive or just a very nice write off? I have seen some angus bring that kinda bucks but normally they are already leased to a stud or 3 or 4 massive ranches went in together. Good debate on this thread.

There was the shorthorn plus heifer from the maternal legends and the one from CYT as well. I know they were calves but i wondered how they stacked up down there if they went?

GM

I'm not familiar with Angus, but did the angus cattle that won at NAILE have genetics or the "type" that appeal to commercial cattlemen?  Or, were they "showring" angus? (if there is such a thing)  It's been mentioned that the Shorthorns that win are bred for the showring...I'm wondering how different it is for the Angus that win these major shows.  Thanks!
gm

Doc

GM said:
I'm not familiar with Angus, but did the angus cattle that won at NAILE have genetics or the "type" that appeal to commercial cattlemen?  Or, were they "showring" angus? (if there is such a thing)  It's been mentioned that the Shorthorns that win are bred for the showring...I'm wondering how different it is for the Angus that win these major shows.  Thanks!
gm
Yea, very good point.

trevorgreycattleco

There are a few show ring type angus bloodlines but IMO they are just a very small part of the angus breed revenue and exposure. Schaff/ Champion Hill genetics have been very well recieved in the show ring from Canada to South America but to avg over 9k a head on 500 bulls isnt being driven by the show ring.

GONEWEST

But the bottom line is, if you show up at Louisville or Denver with tons of cattle that are just "show cattle" then what does that say about the breed. Show breed. Drives me nuts honestly.

Why does that drive you crazy? That's all they are, at least in the US. That's all they will ever be as long as color is discrimination  commercial cattle markets due to the CAB program. You can like it or lump it, it's just how it is. It's why Maines and Simmis are no longer red and white.

Oh yeah, Im curious..... How did those 100,000 dollar plus heifers do? Is it possible to make money on something that expensive or just a very nice write off?

The sooner you people stop comparing the show cattle business to commercial beef production and "making money" the sooner you'll run out of useless things to complain about. Showing cattle at the top level is more akin to racing horses at the top level than it is to beef production. They don't buy yearlings for $800,000 to 1.2 or 3 million in order to turn a profit later on. Less than 1% of those high priced horses ever make it to a grade one race let alone win one. They do it for recreation and for the competition. Now if you are John Sullivan and you have the factory that makes the product these recreational buyers want to purchase, then you are doing it for profit.  (clapping) Good for him.

There are a few show ring type angus bloodlines but IMO they are just a very small part of the angus breed revenue and exposure.

That's because Angus is a viable commercial cattle breed in the US and shorthorns are not. It has nothing to do with their quality or their ability to perform to any measure, it has to do with their color. That's just the end of the story. I don't see any reason not to embrace it for what it is and enjoy your breed instead of beating your head against the wall for nothing.

As far as Trump related lines go, JIT brought up the point that few of the cattle at Agribition will have Trump in their lines. I think the reason for that is that a "prettier" animal is required here if you want to compete consistently. I think its easy to look at the Canadian cattle that win and the ones that win here and draw that distinction. That's not to say they aren't better cattle even, its just obvious that "pretty" isn't always weighed as heavily there as it is here. It  has been that way in almost any breed since we began to import cattle from Canada 25 years ago. And it is difficult to get that "pretty" without sacrificing some other things without using something from Trump lineage. I am not saying that it doesn't happen from time to time, just not as consistently.

As to the % of SULL and Cates prefix cattle that show up in the list of entries, I am surprised it isn't more than that, frankly. Congratulations to Todd and the Vogel family. I my mind theirs is the only program that  consistently competes with the big boys. Their success should be an example to all that try to compete with the elite breeders. It can be done.

As to the deal about having breeders judge cattle, that sure sounds like a good idea on the surface. In my estimation the only thing worse than allowing a breeder who also shows cattle to judge a show is using  judging team members fresh out of college with their canned reasons. Their are "big name" individuals that have zero shame when it comes to picking cattle owned by other breeders who are also judges. I think it becomes more and more blatant as time goes on and those judges have seen no financial repercussions for their actions. After all, it's an "opinion."  Obviously sometimes these outfits have the cattle to win, but many times there is no realistic justification. And I believe that is getting to be the norm rather than the exception in some breeds.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

rightOn.jpg

r.n.reed

GONEWEST said:
But the bottom line is, if you show up at Louisville or Denver with tons of cattle that are just "show cattle" then what does that say about the breed. Show breed. Drives me nuts honestly.

Why does that drive you crazy? That's all they are, at least in the US. That's all they will ever be as long as color is discrimination  commercial cattle markets due to the CAB program. You can like it or lump it, it's just how it is. It's why Maines and Simmis are no longer red and white.

Oh yeah, Im curious..... How did those 100,000 dollar plus heifers do? Is it possible to make money on something that expensive or just a very nice write off?

The sooner you people stop comparing the show cattle business to commercial beef production and "making money" the sooner you'll run out of useless things to complain about. Showing cattle at the top level is more akin to racing horses at the top level than it is to beef production. They don't buy yearlings for $800,000 to 1.2 or 3 million in order to turn a profit later on. Less than 1% of those high priced horses ever make it to a grade one race let alone win one. They do it for recreation and for the competition. Now if you are John Sullivan and you have the factory that makes the product these recreational buyers want to purchase, then you are doing it for profit.  (clapping) Good for him.

There are a few show ring type angus bloodlines but IMO they are just a very small part of the angus breed revenue and exposure.

That's because Angus is a viable commercial cattle breed in the US and shorthorns are not. It has nothing to do with their quality or their ability to perform to any measure, it has to do with their color. That's just the end of the story. I don't see any reason not to embrace it for what it is and enjoy your breed instead of beating your head against the wall for nothing.

As far as Trump related lines go, JIT brought up the point that few of the cattle at Agribition will have Trump in their lines. I think the reason for that is that a "prettier" animal is required here if you want to compete consistently. I think its easy to look at the Canadian cattle that win and the ones that win here and draw that distinction. That's not to say they aren't better cattle even, its just obvious that "pretty" isn't always weighed as heavily there as it is here. It  has been that way in almost any breed since we began to import cattle from Canada 25 years ago. And it is difficult to get that "pretty" without sacrificing some other things without using something from Trump lineage. I am not saying that it doesn't happen from time to time, just not as consistently.

As to the % of SULL and Cates prefix cattle that show up in the list of entries, I am surprised it isn't more than that, frankly. Congratulations to Todd and the Vogel family. I my mind theirs is the only program that  consistently competes with the big boys. Their success should be an example to all that try to compete with the elite breeders. It can be done.

As to the deal about having breeders judge cattle, that sure sounds like a good idea on the surface. In my estimation the only thing worse than allowing a breeder who also shows cattle to judge a show is using  judging team members fresh out of college with their canned reasons. Their are "big name" individuals that have zero shame when it comes to picking cattle owned by other breeders who are also judges. I think it becomes more and more blatant as time goes on and those judges have seen no financial repercussions for their actions. After all, it's an "opinion."  Obviously sometimes these outfits have the cattle to win, but many times there is no realistic justification. And I believe that is getting to be the norm rather than the exception in some breeds.
It is not surprising that the Shorthorn model is similar to the Thoroughbred game as many of the founding U.S. Thoroughbred breeders,Woodburn,Grassmere etc were leaders in the Shorthorn breed in its infancy here in the U.S.What is surprising is that despite favorable data,Marc etc.the breed has never been able to break out of its little showring box in a significant way. Even as recent as the mid 80's when the Angus were developing CAB we copied the TB'S again and established a Breeders Cup futurity.I am sure it is evident to all which program had the biggest impact on our nation's cattle industry.

nkotb

trevorgreycattleco said:
There are a few show ring type angus bloodlines but IMO they are just a very small part of the angus breed revenue and exposure. Schaff/ Champion Hill genetics have been very well recieved in the show ring from Canada to South America but to avg over 9k a head on 500 bulls isnt being driven by the show ring.

9K isn't going to commercial cattleman either as most commercial guys I know won't pay more than $3500 for a bull, registered or not.  Also, I agree that until there is no discount at the salebarn for anything but black, shorthorns will not be a commercial cattlemans go to breed, even though they have won numerous feedouts and consistently grade as well as or better than angus.

showsteerdlux

nkotb said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

9K isn't going to commercial cattleman either as most commercial guys I know won't pay more than $3500 for a bull, registered or not.  Also, I agree that until there is no discount at the salebarn for anything but black, shorthorns will not be a commercial cattlemans go to breed, even though they have won numerous feedouts and consistently grade as well as or better than angus.
I guess it varies by market as last weekend I saw commercial boys paying $7500 a pop and buying them 3-4 at a time. The Beef business is banging right now, and good producers realize that this is a very small investment in the future.

aandtcattle

[/quote]
So basically what you are saying is that all of the SAV/Champion Hill bulls are selling to semen companies and registered breeders?  I dont think so.  Conneallys would be another good example of a large number (around 400) of bulls selling for an unbeleivable average.  I know for a fact there are several commercial guys in my immediate area that go to SAV and Conneally and buy a trailer load of bulls and average 5000 to 7500 on these bulls.  These big bull sales just dont survive without commercial support.
I am also seeing a lot more even feeder calf pricing between reds and blacks this year.  I think these feeders are figuring out that there is more to the equation than just a black hide.

As far as shorthorn being the breed of choice for the american rancher.... it may not be in my lifetime but things are sure shifting now.  I have been selling red shorthorn bulls to commercial guys in that 4500-5000 range the last 2 years and they are loving the results of using red shorthorn bulls on their black and black baldy cows.  If there was more volume of good shorthorn bulls that were commercially geared there would obviously be a lot more of them used but where do people go to buy these kinds of bulls in volume?  This is where we run into the problem of supply and demand and how to balance the two.  A few years ago I had several really nice bulls and no buyers, now I can't produce enough bulls for the demand so some guys that would use a shorthorn are going to simmi or hereford or something other than angus.  It is a very discouraging situation.

nate53

GONEWEST said:

I would have to disagree GONEWEST, color is part of it but that is not where the story ends. ;D  Black angus cattle is a viable commercial cattle breed because of several reasons (I will list a few).  Black color is dominant and most everybody likes consistencey.  The breed is massive compared to any other breed in the country (so in other words there is a lot more data on the black angus breed and most everybody likes information to make decisions on).  THe breed has a huge amount of diversity  in it as far as genetics (so no matter your enviroment their is genetics that can work).  Yes there is that CAB thing which is just a marketing tool that has worked very well, but it is hardly enough reason to raise black angus cattle by itself.  Every other breed that is jumping on the black bandwagon to get a piece of the CAB pie, and that is only making the idea of the program and the angus breed bigger.  CAB is an advantage but its not a very big one for the individual producer, maybe it is for the angus breed and for all the restraunts out there advertising CAB?  CAB right now is another $5 per hundred weight (carcass) vrs. lets say choice is another $17 per hundred weight right now.  Black angus is king because of color, quality, performance, and that little thing called information.  Black angus is known as the business breed, shorthorns are known as the show breed.   Yea there are shorthorns that are just as good as the blacks but those shorthorns aren't going to national shows and they aren't bringing $100,000 or more.  The working shorthorn breed needs to get some reliable #'s behind them and get a national advertising program going.  Please everybody quit crying over black cattle bringing more or CAB this or CAb that , quality is quality no matter the color, the only ones holding the other breeds back are themselves.  IMO

I feel better now! ;D

Agree with aandt! :)  Commercial producers are the driving force behind the angus breed.

trevorgreycattleco

I wonder if the Hereford association was worried when folks started using angus bulls back in the day? I doubt it at first. Ranching/ cattle production changes with the times. If a breed has a positive impact toward the nations cowherd, why o why would that not be explored? I run angus and shorthorns. Both breeds are very useful IMO. I agree with A@T where do good shorthorn bulls in numbers sell? You can count em on one hand. To me, thats a shame. We are all in this to make a profit, but most people use genetic selection by way of politics or popularity rather then on profitability. I and a few others are trying to push this breed up a new road. Whats wrong with that? 

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
I wonder if the Hereford association was worried when folks started using angus bulls back in the day? I doubt it at first. Ranching/ cattle production changes with the times. If a breed has a positive impact toward the nations cowherd, why o why would that not be explored? I run angus and shorthorns. Both breeds are very useful IMO. I agree with A@T where do good shorthorn bulls in numbers sell? You can count em on one hand. To me, thats a shame. We are all in this to make a profit, but most people use genetic selection by way of politics or popularity rather then on profitability. I and a few others are trying to push this breed up a new road. Whats wrong with that? 

There is nothing wrong with trying to go down a different path. It's just that there are several different paths heading to the same destination. Which you said yourself " We are all in this to make a profit". With that being said , you can make a profit in the Shorthorn breed with something besides red,polled , 5 frame commercial type cattle. I think it is great if someone is selling out of a product .