Name that color!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

This is a new game! Sure to sweep the nation. Name that color of this calf.  This is from Show Heifer!
This is the SS Kaboom shorthorn baby I was sooooo looking forward too. Can't you see the red and white color????!!!!!! In fact, what color would you even call him???? He was a BIG boy...I hoof taped him at 120. His momma is a solid dark red gelv X blk angus cow. So one would think that out of KaBoom (which is dark red roan) you would get a red and white calf. NOPE not me!!! Everyone is asking what color the calf is and I don't know what to tell them!!! What do you guys think????

Now everyone, we know his parents, what would you call him?

Red (cow)

Attachments

• jen 1.jpg
    jen 1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 390
  • jen 2.jpg
    jen 2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 385

Showcalves

I'm thinking you're going to have to wait a bit to call the color on this one.  He may well shed off a bit of a different color.  ::)  We've had a similarly colored one that we always called dark mouse colored.  (lol)  One this is for sure, he's a big boy!  Did you have to assist momma with him?

BSC

DL

Dark mouse??? How very unbovine!! I think mice get a bad rap when it comes to color - mice and fleas - flea bitten gray and mousie brown ---

I think the calf will redden up as he ages, hopefully for his sake he doesn't end up pink - it is hard to be manly when your have pink hair! (cow) ;D ;D

Congrats on your baby SH - had a little black bouncing bundle today myself - he is now dressed in red and balck watch plaid! cold windy but we did see the sun!! DL

Show Heifer

He is indeed a BIG boy!! But momma (a 5 year old)  had him in less than 2 hours....from no sign at all, to baby cleaned off and standing! But, your right, if I had seen the feet, I would have panicked!! :eek:
His momma is dark red, yet this fella has dark skin, so maybe black? He has LOTS of hair!!!
I was just curious if anyone else had one like him, or any idea how a red X red mating could have developed this color. Gee, and I LOVED genetics in college!!!
Thanks all and the important part is that he is ALIVE and most happy! (clapping) (clapping)

red

he looks like he has some brindle coloration.
Genes, where are you when we need explainations!
glad all are OK!
Red

frostback

It is so funny that you posted this. Two nights ago my husband and I pulled a shorthorn sired calf out of a 13 year old registered black angus. We put him under a heat lamp and came to the house and as we were taking off our coats we both looked at each other and with a puzzled look on our faces asked at the same time "WAS THAT CALF RED?"
It was not till the mourning that we saw a black point calf that was very light almost red with a few white hairs. Very wierd I was hoping for a light blue roan but got a live healthy reddish brown one. Its all good.Frostback

genes

Hmmm are you sure she stuck to AI.

Because the Gelbviehs do have a dilution gene (and even though she does look like a pretty dark red, but you can see some light on her underline, maybe that's it.  I don't know.  I am not overly familiar with actually breeding them).  And that could dilute black to that colour.

But red X red does not black make.  Never.

There are I think some other alleles down the series (as in even more recessive) that give more of a brown.  Probably shouldn't really be in those breeds, but, I dunno. 

Basically, I'm not much help.  But I can look into it a little more maybe.

Apparently a good one was born at our place a few days ago.  White Texas longhorn  ::) with some brown and black spots, has...........A black baldy  ???  I mean the black comes from the Angus bull, fine, but baldy?

"MY wife Angie, has one identical, she calls mouse. Just don't call him "rat"!"

Is yours Simmi.  Because they have a dilution as well, that makes that mouse colour.  And they also have a gene that makes rat tails and thin curly hair.  We have some....they are hideous.  ;D

red

genes said:
Hmmm are you sure she stuck to AI.

Because the Gelbviehs do have a dilution gene (and even though she does look like a pretty dark red, but you can see some light on her underline, maybe that's it.  I don't know.  I am not overly familiar with actually breeding them).  And that could dilute black to that colour.

But red X red does not black make.  Never.

There are I think some other alleles down the series (as in even more recessive) that give more of a brown.  Probably shouldn't really be in those breeds, but, I dunno. 

Basically, I'm not much help.  But I can look into it a little more maybe.

Apparently a good one was born at our place a few days ago.  White Texas longhorn  ::) with some brown and black spots, has...........A black baldy  ???  I mean the black comes from the Angus bull, fine, but baldy?

"MY wife Angie, has one identical, she calls mouse. Just don't call him "rat"!"

Is yours Simmi.  Because they have a dilution as well, that makes that mouse colour.  And they also have a gene that makes rat tails and thin curly hair.  We have some....they are hideous.  ;D

Genes, next time you go home you have to get a picture of that White Longhorn! Love it!!!

Red

ELBEE

I'm assuming mama has some Simmy in her, she's the same color as baby. But daddy is registered *free red red red Shorty. Thank goodness nobody has a "rat tail".l

red

We can get some of the prettiest peach/pink calves from our red/white Maine bull & the Char cows. I've always wanted smokeys but get peach blush! Not very manley looking calves though.

Red

Show Heifer

The cow has NO simmi in her, she is sired by a Neutron 377 son, and out of a Gelv cow sired by Mr. Sensation. She is dark red in color. She has never had a diluted calf before, and I have had those before, but this calf doesn't appear to be a "mouse" "smoke" or "rat".  Has tons of hair, dark nose, dark eyes and dark pigment ears.
He is turning a bit more red, with black highlights on the end of his hair. Odd for sure! :eek:
The calf was either 4 days late or 26 days early to the bull and at 120 pounds, I sure hope he wasn't early!!
I raised both the momma cow and her momma, but bought the bull, so......I do know I got several red calves out of him so he must have carried the red gene!

red

yes, I know I won't get smokes from my red/white bull & char cows. We do get them from the Angus bull & char cows. The red ones do have a kind of a red smokey look though to them. Still think blush is a better word for it.

Red :)))

genes

Ok I'm looking at my "cheat sheet" page again.  http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/colors.html

So there is the typical black and red allele, but then there is also a kind of "whatever" allele as well.  Which allows for more influence of other things to modify them.  Apparently the wild type allele is part of the colours seen in jersey and brown swiss.  It looks like the calf might have gotten a double dose of that somehow....or maybe a single dose plus one red, then some modifier.  Sorry I'm being confusing and vague.  I don't really know much into this part beyond what I read on this webpage.  But now I'm curious and will probably look up more in the near future.

Red, if your pink calves aren't very manly, you could start calling them tan or buckskin for the men :)  If you want the smokes, sorry, you need a black bull.

And lucky you, I just happen to have a picture from last summer with her longhorn calf (she was bought bred...don't worry my dad is a little crazy on some of the cows he buys, but not nearly crazy enough to have a strange bull).  To be honest, we're pretty happy she had a black baldy, however she did it, as it will fit in a lot better a the stockyards.  Oh I hope what you were wanting to see wasn't horns...that's a whole nother cow  (lol)

Attachments

• 100_1465.JPG
    100_1465.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 583

genes

Eeek what happened to my white cow?  ???  Something is wrong with the picture...and it was even a good one. :'(

red

genes said:
Eeek what happened to my white cow?   ???  Something is wrong with the picture...and it was even a good one. :'(

I was going to say, what is that? some new fangled Easter egg colored cow? No, a St Patrick's cow!

Red

cowz

Cute calf.  If it was a horse, we could maybe call it a "Gruella".  It will probably still have those black tips!!!    We breed Charolais to the Maines and have had a few surprises!!!    I'm like Red.   I'm always hoping for cool smoke steers, but usually end up with something yellow,cream, blush (PINK!).   I have some white Shorties and some red shorties........all my calves this year are white, white, white!   Please let me end up with a roan! :D

garybob

He'll darken up like a Tarentaise, a Braunvieh, or a Swiss/Jersey as he gets older. Historians call this the original color of Modern cattle's wild ancestors, the Aurochs. Good thing he was smooth-shouldered. 120????

Show Heifer

I just remembered I posted these pics.....this is the calf I ask opinions about. So I guess he is going to turn black....who would have thunk it? Red and white sire, and red momma....and I get black!!! Back to the drawing board! (clapping)