Name that tune!

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

Yep.. I think The Band did the version that got most the airplay. Dylan did it, too. It's been kind of a staple cover song for the Red Dirt artists, so I've prob'ly got at least half a dozen versions of it in my collection. I was actually listenin' to Waylon's version when I first posted it, though.

AAOK

OK, since nobody has attempted to solve my frist two entries, I give you an easy one.
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

red

DLD said:
Yep.. I think The Band did the version that got most the airplay. Dylan did it, too. It's been kind of a staple cover song for the Red Dirt artists, so I've prob'ly got at least half a dozen versions of it in my collection. I was actually listenin' to Waylon's version when I first posted it, though.

I was thinking of the Dead's on that one. the Attic I think. I remember lyrics but not titles!

Red

aj

aaok The song with vietnam in was played at woodstock but I can't think of group....on your other song was it rock country or what?

AAOK

aj - You are correct about Woodstock.  The song was called both  Fish Cheer, and I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die, by  Country Joe and the Fish.

The first song will be tough.  It is also Rock, mostly instrumental.  I'm pretty sure this song is from the group's first album.

farmboy

It was on a moonlight night,
The stars were shining bright.
And they whispered from on high,
Your love has said goodbye.

aj

OK...zach and dimebag...give me a hint. I ordered a couple c.d.s lately. Leadbelly and cowboy junkies. I found it amazing about Leadbelly.A blues guy....born in 1885. He wrote "midnight special"...done by the rolling stones a century later. He wrote a song "looky yonder,black betty,womens doorbell. The song black betty was a hit in the late 1970's.He did the "house of the rising sun"way back when also. Latter done buy the animals. Sometimes us modern people aren't as smart as we think we are. The cowboy junkies...not what I expected. Wow i love them.Pretty bluesy. Kinda of a Delta blues harmonica on thier triology album anyway. :)

garybob

AAOK said:
garybob said:
This one came in 1978, and united two guys from Texas that were "left of center" for what was then Nashville. It was on their duet Album, named after themselves. This song was never released to mainstream radio, and is an ''album cut".

..power is as power does,
   but, power slips away.
   It's so easy to abuse.
   Who'd a thought them A-rabs
   could have bought the USA,
   just to give it to the Jews?...

Waylon & Willie  "The Year 2003 Minus 25"

I just saw this thread...............Great idea!
Listen to the lyrics, they are  so true, even today.

aj

Garybob.....the line I like in the 2003 song is"Gods still up there laughing so he has to be alive.....who says he can't take a dirty joke." :)

dimebag

aj said:
OK...zach and dimebag...give me a hint. I ordered a couple c.d.s lately. Leadbelly and cowboy junkies. I found it amazing about Leadbelly.A blues guy....born in 1885. He wrote "midnight special"...done by the rolling stones a century later. He wrote a song "looky yonder,black betty,womens doorbell. The song black betty was a hit in the late 1970's.He did the "house of the rising sun"way back when also. Latter done buy the animals. Sometimes us modern people aren't as smart as we think we are. The cowboy junkies...not what I expected. Wow i love them.Pretty bluesy. Kinda of a Delta blues harmonica on thier triology album anyway. :)
  A hint for my post would be a 1970's style western shirt that is popular now .

AAOK

zach said:
It was on a moonlight night,
The stars were shining bright.
And they whispered from on high,
Your love has said goodbye.

Zach,
It's Blue Moon of Kentucky, George Jones

Latest posts