naval hernia

Help Support Steer Planet:

utshowgirl

Just wondering if anyone else has seen an increase in naval hernias' this year, due to increased BW with such a cold last trimester of gestation?  Also wondering if anybody has experienced a higher % of hernias' in calves out of THC bulls?

HGC

We had our first one ever.  It was a PB Maine calf.  Calf was 83# and a light pull out of a first calf heifer.  It had about 2 feet of intestine outside its body.  I talked to our vet and he said he has seen 4 in his career and none of them lived.

I have heard about a lot hernia's in general in club calf cattle though.

My heifer had one about 1 month ago. Vet came out and drained it out. It slowy went down after puss came out. It may still be there but the bump is not there no more.

GoWyo

Kraftshowsteers said:
My heifer had one about 1 month ago. Vet came out and drained it out. It slowy went down after puss came out. It may still be there but the bump is not there no more.

A hernia or just an infected navel on this one.  This sounds like an infected navel, which can be drained.  Hernia is a breach of the stomach muscle and the guts come out and it is a very bad idea (terminal to the animal) to drain them.