near portsmouth ohio

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

farmboy said:
we had 3 bulls, steered one...crippled sold other 2 as bulls...thus, no steer  but plenty of heifers

Ah, I gotcha...well, I hope you find a steer that doesn't cost you and arm and a leg, but you can still have fun with. 

red

rumors in our county that much has been paid for steers in the past or for steers for the state fair. I'm like you Jill, wouldn't pay that much but boy if I had one that was the caliper, I'd sure sell him!

Heifers are getting ridiculous for a good one. Look at these sales. Average show heifer bringing at least $2500.

Red

shortyjock89

Heck, I'm glad to have a steer that I think it worth 2k, just because we don't breed for steers.  It's getting so that if you don't want to spend a fortune on a good heifer, you have to raise them. 

Jill

You're right, they have almost gotten to the point we can't afford them.  We have been lucky in that we have raised some really good ones so we have had nice ones to show, I don't know what we would do if we had to buy them.
I can remember (and it hasn't been that many years ago) the Shorthorn magazine used to print the top 10 sellers and a heifer purchased by Kurt Schwartz made the top 10 for 10,000.00, I think it may even have been from Cates, but that was just unheard of and it hasn't been that many years ago, it wouldn't even make the top 100 list anymore.

OH Breeder

The problem I find when selling one for 800 bucks is that you have to trust the individual will take GOOD care of it. I would seel one for market price, not broke or delivered if the person was right. My first heifer I bought as a kid was market price plus 100 bucks.

TottenClubCalves

At are county fair it use to be Beefmasters and such since we are from florida thats what they like. Now if you wanna compete you gotta pay. My steer this year cost me 1200 and to me that is VERY reasonable for a quality steer. He is 50% hereford 25% maine 25% shorthorn.

farmboy

OK OK, today i got the best calf that jimmy simpson had, for....$850  (cow) he is an ace x( ( full flush x 734)  (clapping) tame, broke, and hairy  ;D ;D ;D

TottenClubCalves

just because his toes point in the same direction doesn't mean he's sound. does he track well and are his knees sticcking way over his fron't feet? he seems like a decent calf though.

red

Great Farmboy, like I said if you can find a decent calf for that price run w/ it!
Looking forward to a more recent picture of him.

Red