Need some breeding advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

genes

To char would give you tan/buckskin/peach roans.  If you can sell that, great, but I could see blues doing better.

shorthorns r us

tan/buckskin, sounds like smoke to me.  those sell.  peach roan steer would be no different than blue,great or garbage.  any of those heifers would show AND make great clubby mommas.

shortyjock89

I thought that the smoky color came from a diluter gene that involves the white from a charolais and the black gene.  I also thought that the Char x Shorty was a no-no to most people.  I saw a Char x Short once and it had crazy hair.  Some of it was more short and coarse like the Char, and some was long and soft like the Short.  The structure might be good, but some people won't touch that crazy color. 

sjcattleco

shortdawg said:
Dooling, The steer in my profile is a Jake's Proud Jazz out of a Navaho (SH) cow. I think he would work on your cow.

Since you think that JPJ will work so well why don't you give him the semen!! next year if the calf is a world burner then he can pay you for it... If not then Ohh well!!!!

genes

shorthorns r us said:
tpeach roan steer would be no different than blue,great or garbage. 

I think that should the case, where the color on the outside doesn't matter.  But, I don't really think it always works that way in the shows.    I know markets are regional (though looking at pictures from all over I can't say I've seen a single tan roan show calf), so it's hard to tell a person what colour to aim for....I just try to tell them what they might get.

red

I personally love some of our peach/pink calves. Takes a real man to show one of those!
no just kidding, but some of our Char x red/white bull calves are some of the nicest. We've never had werid hair w/ them just the different color. And yes some are that tannish roan. I've seen some of that color do very well in shows.
I have to agree w/ CB_3 on the blue roans, as much as we talk about them, it's hard to get the right color of "blue". i've seen some freaky colors that have come as a result of trying for that blue roan.

Show Hef- that calf you posted a long time ago that was the weird color- what did he end up being?

Red