Need Suggestions for Red Angus Steer Sires

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

As our AI calving winds down this year, its time to start thinking ahead to breeding for next year.  My second will be showing calves out of this crop, and I want to try to breed him a Red Angus steer.  I know nothing about Red Angus bloodlines, and was wanting some suggestions for bulls that might throw a good steer for our slick-sheared majors.  We've got a few black Angus cows that we know carry red genes that I'll be using them on.  Plus a few red cows with a little something else in them.  Our steers down here are classified on visual appearance only, so no papers are required.

Show Heifer

2 sires come to mind: Mulberry and Sakic. Mulberry semen will cost $75, I think Sakic is $25.
Both seem to sire very stylish calves, but Mulberry is bigger than Sakic.  So depending on what frame your cows are, I would try those.

Will

We have a durham red bull.  We got his first calves last spring out of heifers.  We only bred 9 to him and the first 5 calves to sell was out of that group.  They have a very good look and are very stout.  The ones that have not sold is because they are not as good haired.    As a bonus he is proving to be very easy calving.  Most of the calve have been very red angus in appearance, just with added bone.  We have sold semen to almost every one that has seen the calves.

DL

hey chambero - every critter I have seen sired by Mulberry is impressive - I have some Mulberry's coming and I can't wait. You might want to go to the Brylor web site www.brylor.com they have an impressive line up of bulls and most are available in the states. Also because you might end up with heifers you might want to check out the defect section on the RA association web page - there are 2 bulls identified as carriers of marble bone and although the mutation has not been identified and there is no test yet the pedigrees of the 2 would suggest who it might be prudent to avoid.

Master Plan another Brylor bull could also work.  Ron Bolze might also give you some ideas - I have found him very helpful no matter where he is....have fun, I am really hot on the RA genetics I am adding to my herd

justme

check with SD...his daughter won her county fair with a RA...he seems like an out of this world RA guru lol

aj

Is there a red angus bull that seems to be gaurented marble bone free through linebreeding or whatever?Like the Lancer abs bull? Are there any test cows out there available. Does it look like a quest for a dna test is going ahead. Thanks in advance.

justintime

in my opinion Mulberry semen is worth the extra cost. He is one of the deepest, thickest, and longest bulls I have ever seen and he puts a lot of butt on his calves as well. I have not heard of any calving issues, but maybe some of the RA breeders on here can respond to this. I flushed two of my best solid red Shorthorn donors to Mulberry and have some ET calves coming next February. Both flushes were great ( one- 22 grade 1 embryos, other 16 grade 1 embryos) so if anyone is interested in some unique Durham Red genetics, I can help out. I am attaching a picture of Mulberry.

Attachments

• Red Fineline Mulberry 26P.jpg
    Red Fineline Mulberry 26P.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 378

LazyGLowlines

Thought I'd through out our lowline angus bull - Bluey, plus we'll have semen from  his son 'Red by Design' available in Feb/March 2009.  Bluey is priced at $100 a straw right now (he's the ONLY mature red FULLBLOOD lowline bull in the US).  We haven't put a price on semen from his son yet but suspect it will be in the $35-40 price range.  You can see a picture of both bulls on our website, Lazyglowline.com.  Bluey's first U.S. bull calves are pretty nice.  There will be a couple fullblood bulls showing at the NILE in Blllings, plus some percentage calves at KC & NAILE for those who want to see his progeny.

Jill

justintime said:
in my opinion Mulberry semen is worth the extra cost. He is one of the deepest, thickest, and longest bulls I have ever seen and he puts a lot of butt on his calves as well. I have not heard of any calving issues, but maybe some of the RA breeders on here can respond to this. I flushed two of my best solid red Shorthorn donors to Mulberry and have some ET calves coming next February. Both flushes were great ( one- 22 grade 1 embryos, other 16 grade 1 embryos) so if anyone is interested in some unique Durham Red genetics, I can help out. I am attaching a picture of Mulberry.

Are the embryos sexed?

Bawndoh

Would also definately suggest Major League, and Roy Rogers.  You should get very attractive, correct, functional steers from these two.  Major League definately will add hind quarter muscling and thickness. 

DL

aj said:
Is there a red angus bull that seems to be gaurented marble bone free through linebreeding or whatever?Like the Lancer abs bull? Are there any test cows out there available. Does it look like a quest for a dna test is going ahead. Thanks in advance.

aj - apparently slowly - I am just staying away from certain lines until we know the specifics - not sure ther eis anything else to do

JIT -Bryan said that Mulberry is not a heifer bull but that he has not had calving problems

unless it has gone up Mulberry semen is $60 US - there is a foreign exchange if you use a credit card - semen for US use is stored at Hawkeye - they were very good about piggybacking my order to SEK so I could get everything with one shipper. The Brylor catalog is a must have  ;D email or call and get one

Dusty

What's the stanard for being classified RA?  Could you just use HW on a red angus cow???? 

doubled

We still Love alot of Pieper Red Angus bulls- I can send you some pictures out of some of them if you wish

doubled

Below are some calves we have out of the Pieper Red angus bull called Fargo

Attachments

• aly.jpg
    aly.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 279
  • cycloneminn3.gif
    cycloneminn3.gif
    112 KB · Views: 370

justintime

Jill... I have not sexed the embryos I mentioned by Mulberry. I have found that I lose some pregnancy rate with sexed embryos, so I have not persued it very much. When someone is willing to pay a premium for sexed embryos, I will consider it, but right now I have not had many ask for it.

Show Dad

justme said:
check with SD...his daughter won her county fair with a RA...he seems like an out of this world RA guru lol

My out of this world view on RA steers is simply this: get Rambo 502 as close to the progeny as you can on the top side. He has that tubular look with an awesome big but. When we have one that is winning where ever we take it, it has Rambo 502. Also he sires winning heifers too. If you can find any Rambo 502 semen let me know it's very hard to come by.

Mulberry has Rambo 502! He is the next generation Rambo. My youngest son is showing a Mulberry heifer that is as Gidget says out of this world.

Cherokee Canyon sires a good steer that can win and a good heifer too but can get a bit large on the frame. (which doesn't bother me but might some of you)

As for others Sakic is a big question mark some really like him. We haven't shown any but haven't seen any steers worth showing out of him either.

Major League is OK for a steer bull but needs the right cow. (which I and a lot of RA breeders are still trying to figure out) Doesn't sire a decent heifer either.

Roy Rogers is a wait and see. I saw him at Fort Worth and they wouldn't let me touch him. Which in RA circles is odd.

Pieper Red Angus bulls are good ones too. But I have found from a show animal stand point they sire better heifers. Great carcass steers and the fairest people going.

For market heifers the best I've seen were sired by 5L Norsman King.

Master Plan has been very good to us as we use him on all our heifers. Can get show quality first time around and calving ease with a nice hind quarter.

Brylor has some really nice bulls in his semen catalog. Has a great Angus (black) bull Fort Rock 151 that is just, well, WOW!

The sleeper bull out of Canada is Fully Loaded. I am waiting for semen to come available. I want to use him on our Mulberry heifer for her second calf.

This is just my opinions and all of the bulls mentioned here will give you great steaks on the grill.
<alien>

chambero

Dusty said:
What's the stanard for being classified RA?  Could you just use HW on a red angus cow???? 

Our "visual standard" basically means if you have too much muscle for an Angus (black or red) you get sifted.  They've got to have the perfect head shape.  Champion Red Angus steer at Houston a couple of years ago was a Dr. Who.  We had a fourth place "red angus" that made the sale that year out of a PB maine bull we own and a Meyer GD.

We approach it from angle you suggested also, but I'm just I'm just trying to increase my odds of getting one that will classify.  Plus this will be for an 8 year old boy so a smaller, gentler calf will be in order also.  I know the Red Angus bulls are getting better in a hurry over what they were a few years ago.

Show Dad

If it's based on lack of muscle and hide color then why worry about using a RA bull? Anyway, if that's how they do it why not just separate them out by age like heifers and forget the breed classification? Would seem to me that would allow a lot of monkey business to go on. Call me a purest but that's not a breed show its just a show.

If it's based on muscle I would have some 1A RA's that probably wouldn't be allowed to show.

JMHO

Dusty

chambero said:
Dusty said:

Our "visual standard" basically means if you have too much muscle for an Angus (black or red) you get sifted.  They've got to have the perfect head shape.  Champion Red Angus steer at Houston a couple of years ago was a Dr. Who.  We had a fourth place "red angus" that made the sale that year out of a PB maine bull we own and a Meyer GD.

We approach it from angle you suggested also, but I'm just I'm just trying to increase my odds of getting one that will classify.  Plus this will be for an 8 year old boy so a smaller, gentler calf will be in order also.  I know the Red Angus bulls are getting better in a hurry over what they were a few years ago.

What do you mean with regards to head shape?  I have seen PB angus with all different shapes of heads.  Do you open them up and shape the poll down to a more Angus style head?

DLD

Dusty said:
What do you mean with regards to head shape?  I have seen PB angus with all different shapes of heads.  Do you open them up and shape the poll down to a more Angus style head?

I'm not Chambero, but no.  Dehorning/head shaping scars on a Red Angus, Angus or Polled Hereford are an automatic out - which makes sense.

Steer classification in TX can seem pretty arbitrary to an outsider.  Alot of things that are acceptable, maybe even desirable in a particular breed otherwise (such as eye pigment on Herefords or solid black Simmentals) will get you kicked out of the steer show in TX.  Actually, for the most part it works pretty well, because the exhibitors know what to expect and they select their prospects accordingly, and the steers that end up being shown pretty much always show some breed character.  We do it  (steer classification) kind of the same, yet kind of different here in OK,  and I'm sure people from other places might not like it here either, but it works for us.