New AI Sires for 2007

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
1,492
Hey, I haven't truly formed solid opinions on the new sires.  I kind of liked Lautner's Monopoly.  It is just so hard to form an opinion on structure when they are tied in.  I just found out that Dr. Who was tested clean for both PHA and TH.  We have had Dr. Who calves in the past that were pretty good and had good attitudes too. 

I think I am going to try a little of the Angus - Masterpiece.  I haven't made up my mind on what to put on my semen order this spring, but need to make up my mind in the next couple of months.  We usually AI to Angus, Maines, Clubbies and of course the Shorties.

Anyone got some opinions of sire they like or dislike?   Any sleeper sires out there?


 

gocalves

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
56
Love Lautners!!!
:D
http://www.mattlautnercattle.com/Sires/monopoly.html
 

jason

Administrator
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
3,046
Location
Emporia, Kansas
cowz said:
Hey, I haven't truly formed solid opinions on the new sires.  I kind of liked Lautner's Monopoly.  It is just so hard to form an opinion on structure when they are tied in.  I just found out that Dr. Who was tested clean for both PHA and TH.  We have had Dr. Who calves in the past that were pretty good and had good attitudes too. 

I think I am going to try a little of the Angus - Masterpiece.  I haven't made up my mind on what to put on my semen order this spring, but need to make up my mind in the next couple of months.  We usually AI to Angus, Maines, Clubbies and of course the Shorties.

Anyone got some opinions of sire they like or dislike?   Any sleeper sires out there?


Also I heard mix reviews on Monopoly, some questioned his size and structure, but has a good pedigree.  Most of the people I talked to said it was a down year for bulls.
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
I'm going to use Major's Money Man on a few of my cows & heifers this year. I have a couple of cows that need down-sizing & he should fit that bill nicely. I also like his birth weight EPD's for heifers.
I want to keep as many of my calves as either purebred or low % Maines, so he'll do that for me too. Plus he's clean for both PHA & TH. ;D
I used Cowboy Cut for the first time & will just have to wait to see how those calves turn out to see if I'll use him again. Have had great luck with Cherry Bomb & my Foreplay cows, so might use him again too.
Red
 

cowz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
1,492
red said:
I'm going to use Major's Money Man on a few of my cows & heifers this year. I have a couple of cows that need down-sizing & he should fit that bill nicely. I also like his birth weight EPD's for heifers.
I want to keep as many of my calves as either purebred or low % Maines, so he'll do that for me too. Plus he's clean for both PHA & TH. ;D
I used Cowboy Cut for the first time & will just have to wait to see how those calves turn out to see if I'll use him again. Have had great luck with Cherry Bomb & my Foreplay cows, so might use him again too.
Red

Welcome to the board RED!!!!!!  We are so glad to have you!!!! ;D  Hey, keep us posted on the Cowboy Cut calves!!!  I saw some in a sale last fall that I really liked.
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
First Cowboy Cut is due 3/1. My next calf is due the first week in February. It is another Cherry Bomb x Foreplay combination. We had a Cherry Bomb born 1/11. Little heifer, but black this time. The others have been red.
The farm runs about 60 cows & they don't start calving until the first part of February.
Thanks, Red  ;)
 

Stifler

Member
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
9
red said:
First Cowboy Cut is due 3/1. My next calf is due the first week in February. It is another Cherry Bomb x Foreplay combination. We had a Cherry Bomb born 1/11. Little heifer, but black this time. The others have been red.
The farm runs about 60 cows & they don't start calving until the first part of February.
Thanks, Red  ;)
they're excellent steers. My farm runs all cherry bombs.  :) :) :)
 

phoebe

Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
11
I just buy my show steers, but would really like to breed my own.  Is it something that would be too cost prohibitve.

How much does it cost to get a cow AI 'd, also what other costs are involved?
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
phoebe said:
I just buy my show steers, but would really like to breed my own.  Is it something that would be too cost prohibitve.

How much does it cost to get a cow AI 'd, also what other costs are involved?

Phoebe- semen normally runs between $20-50 a straw. Your vet can probalby AI a cow for you or someone local. You just need to remember that you can use the best bull out there but you also need a decent cow. You need to watch birth weights, genetic defects, breed selection. If you have a cow I'm sure someone can help you with a good bull to use.
Good luck,
Red
 

Show Heifer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
2,221
Maybe not real new, but am looking forward to my Lut calves.  Probably not true clubbies but hoping for some good heifers.
Also am curious of the bull HA? Limited Edition, the big (HUGE) 4 year old bull that was on display in Denver. He tested positive for 11 (yes 11) gene stars for tenderness, etc. His size is a bit of concern, BUT super sound, and he probably looked bigger than he was, as he was in with all those little clubbie bulls that are just not big. Has anyone used this bull or have any opinions on him??
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
Show Heifer said:
Maybe not real new, but am looking forward to my Lut calves.  Probably not true clubbies but hoping for some good heifers.
Also am curious of the bull HA? Limited Edition, the big (HUGE) 4 year old bull that was on display in Denver. He tested positive for 11 (yes 11) gene stars for tenderness, etc. His size is a bit of concern, BUT super sound, and he probably looked bigger than he was, as he was in with all those little clubbie bulls that are just not big. Has anyone used this bull or have any opinions on him??
SH- Limited Edition very good bull!
Red
 
Top