new bull Breathe Easy

Help Support Steer Planet:

GONEWEST

wessington said:
GONEWEST said:
I sure would like to own that cow. BUT...........................have any of these bulls EVER turned out to be any good? She had those two 1/2 Simmi show heifers.  I'm really hoping this Frank The Tank turns out because he has some body to him. But if you had a pretty good cow, flushed the stuffing out of her, heavily promoted the best few calves........wouldn't your cow be just as good? Just wondering.

Name all the cows that have out produced her and give us their owners phone numbers. I wish we all had a cow that had raised national champion females, champion steers and 10+ bulls promoted with high selling calves all out of different bulls. Very short and select list that she is on.

Several of her bulls are plenty old enough to have shown some quality and consistency by now. After the second crop people know enough about them to be used heavily if they are going to be used. And since she is flushed so heavily, I'm not sure you know how she really works on a variety of sires. We know she makes SOME good looking calves that are sired by several bulls.  Maybe I 'm wrong, but I don't think a cow deserves any points for having a bull that was promoted. You could promote any bull if you have the money, no big deal to me. Got the SEK catalog today, lots of bull in there. Not many that will get used much, but it's slap full of promoted bulls.

As far as cows producing champion steers, Dean Kephart, Junior Stelzer, Kris Black all have cows you've never heard of that produce more big time steers and for the most part aren't even flushed. Went in NE . same thing. Rockin J, same thing.  Every pure breed has cows that produce champion females over and over. I guess my idea of a short list is shorter than your idea of a short list.

Certainly the cow has produced alot of the most important thing and that is money. I just wondered why she was so highly thought of when all of these bulls never do very well. That's all.

Oh,  and if you want the phone numbers you can look them up yourself. I don't have time to look up that many.

Sundy

I feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion and we must listen before we can talk. What makes a cow a good cow is consistency whether it is clubby, commercial, or purebred. We strive for growth, phenotype, and so on. I honestly feel Harrietta has proven herself on a number of bulls to produce good consistent cattle. Do I like all of her progeny, not neccessarily but remember it is a lot easier to criticize someone else's cattle. I would love to own a whole herd just like her and I am sure so would many others. I will agree that promotion is a big factor and can be very influential, but good producers know how to mate their cows and if the do not feel a bull such as a Harrietta son will work, they won't use it. Everyone's cattle are different and need different attributes for improvement. Any producer knows that when they find something that works and it results in not only marketable but highly profitable offspring, it is stupid not to continue doing it.