New bull! Texas Tornado!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

mike63

[]THANK YOU DIAMOND CATTLE FOR YOUR POST,couldnt agree with you more,  you know there is a far worse disease than cancer ,  its called  JEALOUSY  lautners have made so many good things for the club calf  industry as well as others in the club calf business,  there is room for all and I have never had my stomach full eating  EPDS and 205 day weights,  they just do not feed people.  just my thoughts

Ohio1

When they do have him walking you will be able to see right away but I'm not going to be judging soundness off of a picture.

Cow Chaser

Seems like i'm jumping into a pissing contest but the only way to really know how sound he is and to see his true structure you need to see him walk and in his everyday clothes.  He does look strait in his hind leg at first sight but if you click on the picture to see the blown up version I think leg set is fine, you can see there is about 2 to 3 inches of hair just above his pastern and almost no hair at the hock creating that strait look.  If he was a steer everybody would be like that is a good one and he would compete if he can walk,  I do agree that he does toe out in the picture but you still need to see him walk to really know.  I wish more people would show pictures of their bulls as 2 and 3 year olds so we could what they really look like.  A good bull isn't a good bull until he makes good calves.

Mueller Show Cattle

Cow Chaser said:
A good bull isn't a good bull until he makes good calves.
So true, I don't judge a bull by his looks, I judge him on his calves. I am not impressed by Heat Wave's photo at all but you can't deny he flat out produces good clubby calves and that is what I'm looking for in club calves. Is why I have a hard time using an unproven bull, I might pay a little more on semen down the road, but I know that bull produces and I know what he works well on. Good post Diamond Cattle CO, very true post, you can't compare show (Club Calf) and Commercial cattle, is like comparing apples and oranges, just doesn't work. I have both but I keep them separate, my clubbies get alot more attention and worked with more because of the AI and working with their calves and stuff. I don't do anything with the commercial, they are out on the ranch all year and I brand once a year and then wean and sell calves later. They are 2 totally different types of cattle and businesses.

Mainevent

I'm not jumpin to conclusions. All I'm saying is he appears to be straight. Now he may be the soundest calf at Denver this year. But based off what I see in the picture he looks straight. I like the bull everywhere else, he has an awesome look and of course shaggy.

Cow Chaser

After saying what I said earlier I do think the bull will sell semen because of his cool look, color pattern, breeding, and his owners.  We also have show cattle and comercial cattle and a lot of our past show heifers end up producing freezer beef,  we don't get to caught up in the steers but every now and then we turn a good one.  We are doing a lot more A.I. work and it is showing in our quality of cattle.  Up above when talking about epd's I have to say I don't rely a lot on them.  The epd's are only as good as the person turning them in, and they can be skewed easily,  with things like creep feeding calves compared to calves not on creep, or what part of the country your in,  how much grain are you poring into your cow making her produce more and better milk to make that calf grow.  There are too many variables in their, I know they are more like an estimate than a fact, and I know you can typicaly rely on some breed epd's better than others.  I hope Texas Tornado does well for his owners and he goes on to produce good calves,  I don't like to see anybody fail and it doesn't matter if you are a clubby person or a commercial type cattleman the idea for everybody is the same and that is keep looking forward and try to make better cattle for our future generations so they can try to improve on we are doing.

blackdiamond

rackranch said:
I wish there was a decent Shorthorn bull out there that could add the power Heat Wave sons can...

The last Time I post it for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    723.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 240

DakotaCow

blackdiamond said:
rackranch said:
I wish there was a decent Shorthorn bull out there that could add the power Heat Wave sons can...

Is it common to put the camera under the cattle you are picturing? Must be a new thing that hasn't caught on yet. Bet all the well known photographers will be taking pictures now by laying the camera on the ground once they catch on.

renegadelivestock

blackdiamond said:
rackranch said:

is the top bull not a maine ????? no matter how many times i type it or sayit, it just doesn't come out looking or sounding like shorthorn. i appologize if he is actually a shorthorn, and the 75% status given to red maines does not apply to my definition of pure shorthorn

mark tenenbaum said:
DSC said:
I bet he is only in the stall for 30 Min's tops!
//// Tiff for a full grown bull like him to stand tied like that very long O0
Tuff for a crippled bull to stand that long because  if a bull cant stand for a good while then it cant work a pasture of cows and besides we need to breed for stamina in these calves for as long we have these calves in chute and in the ring . that's my opinion

blackdiamond

renegadelivestock said:
blackdiamond said:
rackranch said:

is the top bull not a maine ????? no matter how many times i type it or sayit, it just doesn't come out looking or sounding like shorthorn. i appologize if he is actually a shorthorn, and the 75% status given to red maines does not apply to my definition of pure shorthorn

no matter how you look at it, that bull is a 3/4 shorthorn, and the other bull is a 7/8. 

You didn't say purebred shorthorn, you said shorthorn...

blackdiamond

OK, fine, since you don't like my number 1 option, or the 2nd either, b/c they aren't 'pure'...  Settle for 3rd...

He is a purebred.  He is double clean, and he is a hell of a breeding bull.

If he's still not 'pure' enough for you, then you 'd better head up to Canada, or search the US for the non-asterick shorthorn... course with them, you won't find much more muscle than the cat assed, banana legged Angus have-- or you'll find plenty of 'white' meat'd ones...

Attachments

• Gates calf rear.JPG
    Gates calf rear.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 424

sizzler14

I dont mean to be telling a man his business, and i from the sounds of it we like angus about the same, but I really hope that shorty bull stand better off of those hand wheels and its just a crappy picture because them pasturns are justttt about touching and he is standing on those hindlegs like I did after I rodeoed for 6 years. I pray its just a bad pic

blackdiamond

DiamondCattleCo said:
I dont mean to be telling a man his business, and i from the sounds of it we like angus about the same, but I really hope that shorty bull stand better off of those hand wheels and its just a crappy picture because them pasturns are justttt about touching and he is standing on those hindlegs like I did after I rodeoed for 6 years. I pray its just a bad pic

I say, just come see the bull in person then.

Attachments

• IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 223