New Calf problem: Need some input

Help Support Steer Planet:

DTW

I havent dipped or sprayed navals in over ten years.  Used to do it automatically and even with a clean calving barn would get one with a naval infection once in awhile.  In my opinion a dirty pen is how they get the infection. 
I also work in the swine industry and had a vet years ago say not to spray or dip baby pig navals either.  The reason is the iodine keeps the naval wet and open for to long for pathogens to get into.
What i do now is clip the naval off at about 1 or two inches and dont pull on the naval just use a siccors and cut it off. 

Hopefully this isnt a bad calving year since we have had such a great winter.  Will find out in about 30 days how it starts.

ROAD WARRIOR

We calve every thing out in the pastures. Virtually 0 navel infections in 20+ years. RW

ploughshare

I think Brad is on the right track, but i would guess a Staphylococcus Aureus infection rather than strep.

justme

Juli....things will get better, it has to.  Chin up  I'm here for you if you need me!(not that I know anything)

Hofstatter Farms

I didn't want to rule out naval infection either but I have never seen it hit them so fast. I was told that they are spraying navals with iodine at birth and giving shots of antibiotic to help combat any infections...personally, I don't like to spray navels unless I am standing there the second they are born. In my experience, if the bacteria enter the naval and you cauterize it then you are defeating the purpose. I have had worse luck using iodine.

[/quote]

I agree. I have heard from numerous veterinarians that if you are not there when they are born the bacteria is already in the naval cavity and by putting iodine on it, especially diluted, all you are doing is sealing the bacteria in the naval, at which point you are better off to hit it with a good does of excede, nuflor, etc to help prevent an infection.

Show Heifer

I was just wandering how this turned out. Did the calf die? Was it posted by Ames?

I am always interested in this type of thing so that I can be on the ball if it ever happens on my farm.

Report please?

rocknmranch

What was the outcome on this? I have a calf that was csection, lost the cow, that has swollen hock joint. Nothing else, frisky, just some swelling. Calf was about 10 days early.

justme

Send Juli a private message...that may get an answer faster.  I know she's been swamped on the farm

goose

Septic joints (swollen infected joints) develop as a result of bacteria in the blood aka as septicemia.  The most common cause of septicemia is indeed "navel ill" but that is not the only way bacteria can get into the blood.  In a calf that is as young as the one being described with swollen joints I would be concerned about failure of passive transfer:  the calf did not get enough colostrum, did not get good quality colostrum, or did not get the colostrum in the right period of time.  Once the infection gets into the joint, especially in cattle you have a very difficult time getting that infection cleared up.

Currently the jury seems to be out on the navel treatments.  I have seen papers evaluating nolvasan, iodine, or nothing used at all and there does not appear to be a difference in the results. The comment was made about calving in pastures and that is by far the best navel ill preventative.  Usually the most common time to see navel infections is early in the calving season before the cows are out on pasture calving.  You can use antibiotics to help but most importanty keep the calving evironment clean.

Hope all turned out well with this little one.  Calving season is always an adventure.

Show Heifer

justme said:
Send Juli a private message...that may get an answer faster.  I know she's been swamped on the farm

She logged on Feb 23.
I am still curious as to how everything turned out.  Sometimes these "uncommon" things are not so uncommon if more people would share their experiences and outcomes so others could learn from them.