New Herd Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

Alta Cedar Timeless 36X 02/26/2010 birthdate; estimated EPDs BW +1.7 WW +22 YW +37 M +2
Actual Birth Weight 70 Feb 4 weight1020
                  Saskvalley Ramrod 155R
        Saskvalley Timeless 150T EPDs CE +1.4 BW +1.6 WW +27  YW +50 M +1
                  Saskvalley Darling 110N
  Alta Cedar Timeless 36X             
                  Frimley Captain Jim 38J
        Star P Jody Rose 9P 
                  T Bar Jody Rose 9905

Glenford Captain 39X 02/06/2010 birthdate  (pictured in the rough) BW+2.9 WW+27 YW +39 M+3
Actual Birth Weight 105 Feb 25 weight 1275 Ribeye 13.3 Rump .43 Rib .25 IMF 3.62
                      Frimley Captain Jim 38J
                  Glenford Captain Pete 75P
                      Glenford Goldie 13K
Glenford Captain 39X
                      Glenford Gus 4H
                Glenford Lady 28N
                    Glenford Lady 28K

These two bulls are joining Diamond Prophecy 21P and Braebank Wentworth 3W (owned with Circle M Shorthorns) in our 2011 herd bull battery.

Attachments

• Alta Cedar Timeless 36X.jpg
    Alta Cedar Timeless 36X.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Glenford Captain 39X.jpg
    Glenford Captain 39X.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 198
  • prophecy.jpg
    prophecy.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 199
  • wentworth.jpg
    wentworth.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 212

jaimiediamond

mark tenenbaum said:
Like the BW nos. on Timeless-How is that Wentworth bull bred-Looks like he has some cujo back in the pedigree-lotta muscle

I have put up his 3 generation pedigree he is a incredibly muscular bull bred by steerplanet user scotland.

RB EAGLE 255TH
  JSF MINER  
    JSF RODEO LADY 2036
  JSF IRON RANGE 13S 
      GLEN HAVEN WINNER-
    GLEN HAVEN ROSE MYSIE 197  
    AR SU LU REBA
BRAEBANK WENTWORTH 3W  
    WINALOT JOEY 14J 
    BLUE RIDGE JOEY'S ONLY 16M   
      BLUE RIDGE CHYENNE 14F
  BLUE RIDGE MYRTLE 55R 
    CCS STERLING II
  WINALOT MYRTLE 7H   
  WINALOT G S MYRTLE 745C

jaimiediamond

Glenford Captain 39X is arrivng Saturday.  I am really excited as I got to shop for my grandmother (Frimley Shorthorns) and I felt he was the best choice for the Frimley/Diamond program with his well rounded carcass traits and growth.  I will post some pictures of him when he arrives, and am really looking forward to the opportunity to use him this spring!  <rock>

sue

I like Timeless. Do you ultrasound on him as well?

jaimiediamond

sue said:
I like Timeless. Do you ultrasound on him as well?

Not as of yet, I believe we will be doing him when we get him home. He gets to see service on all the heifers this year :)

jaimiediamond

Glenford Captain 39X arrived this morning after traveling on and off 24 hours and 4 trailers.  Needless to say he was more interested in feed and water rather then posing for a picture.

Attachments

• Glenford Captain 39X head April 9 2011.jpg
    Glenford Captain 39X head April 9 2011.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Glenford Captain 39X April 9 2011.jpg
    Glenford Captain 39X April 9 2011.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 166

RFL

Solid looking set of bulls you have there. Looks like Wentworth
could have some of the muscling that his G. Grandsire had,
RB Eagle 255.

rarebirdz

the  Captain Bull's newest pic is much better then the 1st one postde better hind leg set fancier apperence

scotland

glad i could help choose the Captain bull for you at he Bender sale... willhav a pic of his dam later this week, looks outstanding. A pic of Wenworths dam.. full of musle  , superb  udder , has a heifer clf again this  year

Attachments

• MVC-032F.JPG
    MVC-032F.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 177

GM

scotland said:
glad i could help choose the Captain bull for you at he Bender sale... willhav a pic of his dam later this week, looks outstanding. A pic of Wenworths dam.. full of musle  , superb  udder , has a heifer clf again this  year

That is a heavy muscled shorthorn cow.  Where does her muscle shape come from? (dam, sire?)  I see she has a good mix of American, Canadian, and Irish genetics.  She goes back to CCS Sterling II four times.  Don't know much about him, but I really liked his sire, CCS Sterling.  I saw a video of him from Cagwin and he appeard to be more moderate than his sire, Fastrack, but I believe he passed away at an early age or something.  Are you flushing her? 

Wentworth looks great.  I couldn't find his epds.  How have his calves been?  Do they come easy?  Did he come easy?  Does he flesh well on grass?  Sorry for all the questions...

Well done!

Okotoks

GM said:
scotland said:

That is a heavy muscled shorthorn cow.  Where does her muscle shape come from? (dam, sire?)  I see she has a good mix of American, Canadian, and Irish genetics.  She goes back to CCS Sterling II four times.  Don't know much about him, but I really liked his sire, CCS Sterling.  I saw a video of him from Cagwin and he appeard to be more moderate than his sire, Fastrack, but I believe he passed away at an early age or something.  Are you flushing her? 

Wentworth looks great.  I couldn't find his epds.  How have his calves been?  Do they come easy?  Did he come easy?  Does he flesh well on grass?  Sorry for all the questions...

Well done!

We will only get a couple of Wentworth calves this year. Should have been more but some of the cows he was with got shipped when the vet said they were open. That's when we found out that three others he said were open were well along in calf when we sent them to be flushed. Right now Wentworth is at the west coast seeing service at Circle M. We will get him back to use late spring, early summer! Wentworth's dam would get some of her muscling from Sterling II, he left them thick.

aandtcattle

We will only get a couple of Wentworth calves this year. Should have been more but some of the cows he was with got shipped when the vet said they were open. That's when we found out that three others he said were open were well along in calf when we sent them to be flushed. Right now Wentworth is at the west coast seeing service at Circle M. We will get him back to use late spring, early summer! Wentworth's dam would get some of her muscling from Sterling II, he left them thick.
[/quote]
What's the deal with sending open cows to the flush center?  Maybe I am confused or just don't understand what you mean.  It sounds like since the 3 cows were called open by the vet that you decided to send them to get flushed, is that right?  Why would you want to further propagate cow families that cannot breed within the parameters set forth?  Granted they turned out to be bred which is great but I am a bit disturbed by how you found out that they were bred. ???

Doc

aandtcattle said:
What's the deal with sending open cows to the flush center?  Maybe I am confused or just don't understand what you mean.  It sounds like since the 3 cows were called open by the vet that you decided to send them to get flushed, is that right?  Why would you want to further propagate cow families that cannot breed within the parameters set forth?  Granted they turned out to be bred which is great but I am a bit disturbed by how you found out that they were bred. ???
[/quote]

Because the cows that were with that bull , were called open. If he thought he had a sterile bull, then that wouldn't be the cows fault. He was taking the opportunity at what he thought was a bad situation & tryng to turn something around.

sue

Wentworth's dam looks very terminal to me. I like muscle and in the  maternal breed of Shorthorn we should probably focus on that of  maternal traits ( please refer to all that encompass maternal traits it cross references carcass traits so often)...

Having said that I  like to look at ultrasound as a tool of measures . When you scan a bull that weighs 1275 lbs but only measures a REA of 13.3 - his  REA/cwt or MUSCLe per 100 wt is just over 1 inch.... you have to question the worth or value of calving a 105 act BW herd sire to gain potentially nothing in retail product> or real muscle? So a calving ease herd sire of 70 to 85llb act birth weight bull ( in my experiences) will scan a minimum of 1.1 to 1.3 REA/cwt .... Live or dead calves  you choose- but  shorthorn bulls should at a bare minimum should average 1.2REA/cwt....

Please let's leave the terminal rotations to Limmi, simm and charlolais.  Honestly would Lee Leachman expect a terminal cross from using Shorthorn bull?

Jamie I still think Timeless is the bull.

aandtcattle

Doc said:
aandtcattle said:

Because the cows that were with that bull , were called open. If he thought he had a sterile bull, then that wouldn't be the cows fault. He was taking the opportunity at what he thought was a bad situation & tryng to turn something around.
[/quote]
Is this right Dan?

Okotoks

aandtcattle said:
Doc said:
aandtcattle said:
What's the deal with sending open cows to the flush center?  Maybe I am confused or just don't understand what you mean.  It sounds like since the 3 cows were called open by the vet that you decided to send them to get flushed, is that right?  Why would you want to further propagate cow families that cannot breed within the parameters set forth?  Granted they turned out to be bred which is great but I am a bit disturbed by how you found out that they were bred. ???

Is this right Dan?
[/quote]
Interesting no one asked the age of the cows or their production record! I don't believe in flushing anything that has not already proven herself. Most of the cows we flush are 8 and older. In this case one was 12, one 11 and one was 8. Only one had been exposed to 3W but she was the 8 year old and a never miss cow so I chose to flush her.(Doc is right on this one as we felt it wasn't the cows fault) Her grand dam produced until she was 14 and finished off with a set of twins. Her dam was one of my top five producers until she was struck by lightning at 8 years of age.

aandtcattle

Okotoks said:
aandtcattle said:
Doc said:
aandtcattle said:
What's the deal with sending open cows to the flush center?  Maybe I am confused or just don't understand what you mean.  It sounds like since the 3 cows were called open by the vet that you decided to send them to get flushed, is that right?  Why would you want to further propagate cow families that cannot breed within the parameters set forth?  Granted they turned out to be bred which is great but I am a bit disturbed by how you found out that they were bred. ???

Is this right Dan?
Interesting no one asked the age of the cows or their production record! I don't believe in flushing anything that has not already proven herself. Most of the cows we flush are 8 and older. In this case one was 12, one 11 and one was 8. Only one had been exposed to 3W but she was the 8 year old and a never miss cow so I chose to flush her.(Doc is right on this one as we felt it wasn't the cows fault) Her grand dam produced until she was 14 and finished off with a set of twins. Her dam was one of my top five producers until she was struck by lightning at 8 years of age.
[/quote]
Okay, sounds legit to me.

jaimiediamond

I thought of a rather fun and slightly amusing idea for my type A personality.   When Timeless is home I am going to take new photos and not label which bull is which I think it would be interesting to see who picks who without background information I might even colour them black so there is no defining marks!  Regardless I am pleased with both of the new bulls at this time, Glenford cattle are sound, functional, with easy fleshing ability I can also say I trust that his BW information is accurate and  I would rather have a honest 105LB then a 80LB  bull consistently throwing 100 plus lb bw calves.

A&T I am guilty of one of the old bags being taken in to flush actually make that two Diamond Julie Baroness 8J has never missed nor has Circle M Candy's Kit 9K so I thought I should flush them to carry on with my program.  Luckily for me I made this decision or someone at McDonalds would have enjoyed them immensely and I wouldn't be having a Miami Baron 20B (hoping for a red polled bull *crosses fingers) or a Me N My Hakweye confirmed heifer calf!   The 3rd cow in question was Diamond Neva Baroness 67N who is the dam of one of our recent herd sires Diamond Temperature Rising 28T.  This was the first year we had so many come up open and we should have seriously questioned the new vet. Oh well live and learn...

Pictured are Julie on pasture (9) and the fall before at Argribition as a 8 year old and Kit Kat pictured as a 7 year old. I can't find a picture of Neva on my lap top so I attached Temperature to represent her.

Attachments

• Diamond Julie Baroness 8J.jpg
    Diamond Julie Baroness 8J.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Diamond Julie Baroness 8J show.jpg
    Diamond Julie Baroness 8J show.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 134
  • circle m candy's kit kat 9k.jpg
    circle m candy's kit kat 9k.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 139
  • diamond temperature rising 28t.jpg
    diamond temperature rising 28t.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 142

rarebirdz

I am curius which bull will come out on top you should start a new thread and a poll  (pop) I suspect that they are similar type and since the timeless bull isn't scanned its only a guess he is actually the better purchase if you are not includin bw