New info on DS from the ASA.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Didn't know if everyone had seen this or not?  I just still want to see a list of confirmed carriers so far.

DIGITAL SUBLUXATION (DS) : BREEDING OUTCOMES

The new genetic condition discovered in Shorthorn cattle requires an entirely new though process relative to all of the other known conditions that exist in other breeds and in Shorthorns. First of all, DS is not a lethal condition from a genetic inheritance standpoint. Animals known as homozygotes are cattle that carry two copies of the undesirable gene. Homozygotes of DS, referred to as “DSH” in the registry, in rare cases can be animals that function normally in a breeding herd. Most cattle that are DSH will show some outward signs of the genetic condition. In this case, the condition is a malformation of the rear pastern or pasterns (ankle area) of the animal. The important aspect of DSH is to understand that ALL progeny of DS Homozygotes will be at least Carriers of the condition…or worse.

Carriers of the DS condition, known as DSC in the registry, also need to be handled differently when mating decisions are made. Though the original mutations happened in completely separate populations, the DS condition sits on the same chromosome as Pulmonary Hyperplasia with Anasarca (PHA). Unfortunately, in the development of the embryo, it appears that the presence of a PHA Carrier can impact the phenotype (physical appearance) of a DS Carrier. In other words, if you mate a PHAC to a DSC and the unfavorable copy of both genes is passed on, the resulting calf will likely have deformed rear limbs below the hock. In each case, there is a 25% chance this will occur. As a result, a Carrier of DS could show the condition and a homozygote could appear perfectly normal. If you are testing unknown pedigrees for DS, it is highly recommended that you also test for PHA at the same time.

The following matrix details what possibilities exist when mating through, around, or away from the DS condition: F=Free, C=Carrier, & H=Homozygote.

DSF X DSF=
All progeny DSF with no outward signs of the condition.

DSF/PHAF X DSC/PHAF=
50% of the progeny will be DSC, 50% of the progeny will be DSF, rear limbs should be normal.

DSF/PHAC X DSC/PHAF=
25% of progeny will be DSC/PHAC and likely will show malformed rear limbs below the hock, 25% will be DSC/PHAF and appear normal, 25%will be DSF/PHAC and appear normal, 25% will be DSF/PHAF and appear normal.

DSC/PHAF X DSC/PHAF=
25%of the progeny will be DSH, rear limbs will likely be affected, but can also appear normal, 50% of the progeny will be DSC and rear limbs appear normal, 25% of the progeny will be DSF and rear limbs appear normal. Regardless of the outcome, if progeny of this mating are to be registered, testing will be required.

DSC/PHAC X DSC/PHAF=
Though it is unlikely a DSC/PHAC animal will be mobile enough to breed, this mating will result in a 25% chance progeny will be DSF and normal in
appearance, 25% will be DSC/PHAC and likely show rear limb malformation, 25% will be DSC/PHAF and appear normal, 12.5% will be DSH/PHAC and likely show severe malformation of the rear limbs, and 12.5% will be DSH/PHAF, these animals may appear normal or have outward signs of the condition. Regardless of the outcome, if progeny of this mating are to be registered,
testing will be required.

DSH X DSF=
This mating is important to understand, because
100% of the progeny will be DSC. Again, if the Carrier status for PHA comes through here too, the resulting calf will likely be affected by the condition.

DSH/PHAF X DSH/PHAF=
Though this mating is strongly not recommended, ALL progeny will be DSH/PHAF, though some progeny may appear normal in appearance.
Moving forward, the ASA will not allow registration of breeding animals that are homozygous for known genetic conditions (effective date to be announced later). With most known conditions, this is a non-issue since a lethal condition eliminates homozygotes from the population. In the case of DS, homozygotes can appear normal. Unfortunately, its interaction with PHA and the potential penetrance into the commercial sector makes it imperative that breeders take this seriously and work hard to educate their customer base. Bottom line, breeders should avoid mating any suspect pedigrees of PHA and/or DS to one another. The technology is readily available to test for these conditions; breeders should be proactive in testing their herd and potential sale cattle.

oakview

I, too, would like to see a list of the DS carriers.  ASAP.  It is more widespread than most people think, in my opinion.  Perhaps the actual condition doesn't occur frequently, but the genetics that carry it are numerous.

sue

Hey- I have posted this before and can only post what I have current ownership

DSF and semen available at Cattle Visions and many popular Distributors -

A&T Captain Obvious 606S
  Lakeside Doc Clark 918
  Lakeside Lo Rider 007

Lakeside Powerplay 2P- limited availability

Shorthorns4us

I hope that this is not just a Shorthorn "problem".  Being new to the topic of DS-- is this found in Angus, Simmi, etc. also?
If it is just a Shorthorn item-- that's just what we need to gain acceptance in the market place (as I am making a somber face).  Why the he## would anyone want a Shorthorn?????????
EF

aj

It looks like to me that the most damage is done when a dsc is mated to a phac. Thats where the impact will be felt the most.

Doc

Shorthorns4us said:
I hope that this is not just a Shorthorn "problem".  Being new to the topic of DS-- is this found in Angus, Simmi, etc. also?
If it is just a Shorthorn item-- that's just what we need to gain acceptance in the market place (as I am making a somber face).  Why the he## would anyone want a Shorthorn?????????
EF

Trust me. It's not like the Shorthorn breed is the only one with genetic defects.

knabe

Doc said:
Trust me. It's not like the Shorthorn breed is the only one with genetic defects.

it will be interesting to tally up all the genetic defects by breed once they are mostly figured out.

i say mostly because immunity will probably be the next "defect" frontier.

Dale

I've already posted the results of Homeplace Farms DS testing, in the other thread.  Is testing still $10?  Will the price go up considerably after it is commercialized?  This is the time to test all bulls.  Herd bulls need tested right away to see if their progeny also need tested.  Any bull retained should be tested immediately.  Turn around time may be rather quick, and please post the results so we can all do our own pedigree research until the test results are published officially.

Read the other DS thread to learn about some of the carrier lines.  You also could call the ASA.  We will test more cows as soon as we can work them.  Some of the carrier cattle were used long enough ago that it is difficult to be sure that an animal is "pedigree free" for DS.  JJC Wild Side is an older animal, and the DS was well beyond the standard three generation pedigree.

The ASA, both board and staff, is transparent and will do the right thing.  Shorthorn breeders need to follow that lead!

BroncoFan

I think the reason that DS really hasn't reared its ugly head is because there aren't many PHAC (I can't think of any besides Irish Whiskey that are really used at all.)bulls that are heavily used right now. Ones that would make more PHA carrier cows.

sue

BroncoFan said:
I think the reason that DS really hasn't reared its ugly head is because there aren't many PHAC (I can't think of any besides Irish Whiskey that are really used at all.)bulls that are heavily used right now. Ones that would make more PHA carrier cows.
Double Stuff and Double Vision are PHAC ?

Telos

Since PHA is a Maine Anjou defect, are they responsible for contributing DS? If so, what is their association doing about it.

Doc

Telos said:
Since PHA is a Maine Anjou defect, are they responsible for contributing DS? If so, what is their association doing about it.

No the Maines are not responsible. The way I understand it , good ole Improver is responsible. It's just that when you cross a PHAC on a DSC you will have a greater chance of a deformed calf.

BroncoFan

sue said:
BroncoFan said:
Double Stuff and Double Vision are PHAC ?
Yes they are and I would guess that a lot of clubby cattle operations has at least one cow that goes back to these bulls but are there operations that are still AI-in heavily to either of these bulls? Im just wondering.

beebe

-XBAR- said:
Easy, easy solution.  Bar registration to all known carriers.  Problem solved.
XBAR I agree completely.  I only have a few head and that is all I intend to have as I will use most of what I produce in my commercial herd.  They are all native but I will test every female I have and any female I buy.

knabe

if you bar all carriers, you dead end the rest of their genetics.

yes I know, most will say who cares.

but when the transcriptome starts to be better understood, carriers of defects, which may include a good percentage of every breed, the absolutism attitude could paint breeds into a corner.

I admit I don't currently have a solution for people sloughing carriers on unsuspecting people, especially commercial operators.  the only thing i can think of is that the tests be integrated with some sort of herd reporting or something that the association can reach out to people who use those genetics.

what are the actual sources of bulls with defects? those from clubby sires, or those from purebred sires?

my perspective is that it's clubby sires, but i could be wrong.  if a purebred operator wanted to use carriers, i have no problem with that as long as they test offspring and they stay in the herd or go to slaughter since the only real reason to use carriers other than clubby people is to get clean ones. i guess i don't know a commercial operator who would use a clubby bull in their herd.  probably happens, especially outside of california.