New info on DS from the ASA.

Help Support Steer Planet:

r.n.reed

aj said:
I really never considered anything that happens east of the Mississippi river relevant to the industry......it gets me in trouble.
AJ the last I knew Dr.Beever was located east of the mississippi ;D

knabe

aj said:
knabe......call beevers some time and ask him about my efforts in identifying genetic defects.

Aj. Those efforts are to be commended.

Your inconsistency on commentary and actions are not.

OH Breeder

aj said:
Does anyone have any data on steers winning big that were ds carriers? I think the reason there are no clean ds Shorthorn sires out there is because if they aren't carriers.......they don't have the look to be bulls.......kinda like the th free cattle won't win the steer shows. Looks almost like to me the ds defect is simply another tool in the steer jockeys arsenal. They will shoot for the ultimate th carrier,pha carrier, and now also ds carrier. I am afraid the ds defect has put a fork in the Shorthorn breed in alot of ways. maybe 100 years not so much if clean lines are developed it the breed. But there are just to many choices out their in the beef industry......why mess with a breed will all these defects? Its just another head ache. When you can go to the Angus, Red Angus, and other breeds that ban defects.

Here's my issue. We were hit hard for a small herd. But I didn't say cut all the shorthorn heads off, we just planned our matings and culled certain animals. We aren't any breed changers. We are small potatoes. But the kids and families I deal with and see year after year I like to be able to face. I realize not everyone operates this way, but we love our shorthorns for so many reasons.
The post just comes across wrong? ???
You raise shorthorns but you hate shorthorns? I am asking.

aj

My original statement.....before I let knabe get under my skin.......was first......the ds condition.....if it throws the look......could be used by club calvers as another tool to get "the look". My second point....that I tryed to make was that if a manager has 1,000 cows......sets down with a budget to buy bulls.......why buy bulls from a breed that allows carriers of lethal genetic defects. knabe then makes the personal attack. I have a few th carriers left in my herd. No pha carriers that I know of. Haven't hardly begain to test for ds yet. Actually sent in 20 blood samples on a new possible defect........which is looking like to not be a genetic deal. Yes 4 years ago I had a pen of 5 plus bulls that had a th positive bull in it. I might suggest that this is one of those discussions about defects.....that escalates into a blood bath of personal attacks. My two original points were lost. One.....ds carriers may have a look to them. Two....there are acres and acres of bulls out there to buy. Why buy into a breed that ends up making you spend thousands of dollars for genetic testing......to have to breed around stuff?

aj

Oh yes.....we also took a traveling partner of my pepper red bull to Denver. I listed this bull on here he ended up being th I think. My sons bull. I have bred Shorthorns for 30 some years. Have spent thousands of dollars on pedigrees and testing for genetic defects. Am currently switching over to the whole herd deal. But OMAHA we have a problem in the genetic defect deal. Like I said it could take 100 years to fix it. I sleep well at night. Shorthorn breeders will deal with the deal in different ways. Hell we might start a shorthorn plu plus program that is gaurenteed to be genetic defect free.

knabe

Aj, no breed or future registry can be guaranteed free of defects. why you continue to espouse this train of thought is irresponsible.

testing doesn't require thousands of dollars.

your comments continue to be disproportionate, lacking in factual reality and logic.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]your logic continues to want things both ways except when you don't. 
[/font]

Duncraggan

aj, I am against personal criticism on this forum, but, your type of comment absolutely ruins the constructive debate on this forum.

It takes a well constructed counterargument to your previous post and lowers it to the level of an argument in the club/pub/bar after a few too many.

At least give some meaningful input, or at best, show the intellectual level of which you are worthy!