New JPJ son

Help Support Steer Planet:

NSF

very good bull, huge topped and explosive through his lower quarter. i would use him on larger framed cattle with more extension through their front ends that need to be stoutened up. he had one of the largest natural lower quarter of any of the bulls in denver and scanned a huge eye for his age.

NSF

i think he was between a 5 and a 5.5 which seems to be the trend the industry is heading toward. i actually worked on him and clipped him out for denver and he was one of the most honest bulls as far as true muscle expression that denver had to offer. i think he has some great things to offer. you can pm me if you want to ask anything else

knabe

i agree he looks thick in his lower quarter, but i'd still like to see it rather than hair if that's one of his strongest features.  he is thick elsewhere and deep and lacks the sloppiness i've seen in the JPJ's.

HT

I like him.. Looks like he might upgrade some cattle, and moderate some framey cows.. Personally, I would wait till he is prooven, but he sure does look good!

OH Breeder

I like him alot in pictures but am thinking about driving up to Select Sires to see if they would allow me to visit him.

Rustynail

I will probably wait on the heifers, but I am definatly considering him.

knabe

is there such a thing as a longer fronted early maturing bull?  perhaps our eyes need some extension adjustment.  if we had less extension, would we need to hold steers so long?

aj

I bid on him out in Denver.....I didn't bring near enough money. He has some easy calving stuff in pedigree.....the Mission bull. I would call him a old timey bull. I loved him. If any Shorthorn bull would work on heifers I'd say he has a shot. I would think he would lower bwt's more likely that not.

garybob

knabe said:
is there such a thing as a longer fronted early maturing bull?  perhaps our eyes need some extension adjustment.  if we had less extension, would we need to hold steers so long?
I agree. We need to think more like  <cowboy>, and less like a  O0.

Just my ramblin's,

GB

OH Breeder

WEll below is the repsonse I got from Select Sires on viewing Capiche at stud......Oh well...

Hi Shawn.  I would really enjoy the opportunity to have you see Capiche, especially since you are so close to Plain City.  Unfortunately, Select Sires’ policy dictates that our bulls are not to  be made available for tours and public viewing.  This is primarily for the health and safety of our bulls, but also for the safety of our customers.
The best alternative I can offer you is to view Capiche’s video on his web page at www.selectsiresbeef.com and click on “Select-A-Sire” then click “Search by Breed” and finally, select “Shorthorn.”

knabe

OH Breeder said:
WEll below is the repsonse I got from Select Sires on viewing Capiche at stud......Oh well...

Hi Shawn.  I would really enjoy the opportunity to have you see Capiche, especially since you are so close to Plain City.  Unfortunately, Select Sires’ policy dictates that our bulls are not to  be made available for tours and public viewing.  This is primarily for the health and safety of our bulls, but also for the safety of our customers.
The best alternative I can offer you is to view Capiche’s video on his web page at www.selectsiresbeef.com and click on “Select-A-Sire” then click “Search by Breed” and finally, select “Shorthorn.”

that is a rather long winded translation of no photos of bulls at stud.  

his snout may bely some worries about his neck length.

OH Breeder

knabe said:
OH Breeder said:

Hi Shawn.  I would really enjoy the opportunity to have you see Capiche, especially since you are so close to Plain City.  Unfortunately, Select Sires’ policy dictates that our bulls are not to  be made available for tours and public viewing.  This is primarily for the health and safety of our bulls, but also for the safety of our customers.

that is a rather long winded translation of no photos of bulls at stud. 

:D EXACTLY!

knabe

maybe this isn't true, but looking at jungel's battery, their bulls seemed to have small heads in comparison to the mass.  since people are always complaining about BW from shorthorns and the obsession with 100 lbs, are some bulls not being used because of this?  what's the breed calving ease compared to others?

sjcattleco

knabe said:

Finally people are finally starting to see what bulls are supposed to look like! 

Davis Shorthorns

justintime

Remember everyone.... birth weight is not the only factor to consider when selecting a bull to use on heifers. I have witnessed c-sections done on heifers who had 78 lb Red Angus calves, and my vet says he has seen many of them.The calves were wide skulled and shouldered, and impossible for the heifer to calve by herself. ( I am not bashing the Red Angus breed, as there are many outstanding R Angus  sires. My experience with R Angus sired calves is very limited, but I had three calves, a couple of years ago, that were from a well known RAngus sire, and they were all over 110 lb. ) Birth weight is one factor to consider, however, it is only one. The other thing to remember is that selection for low birth weight for generations, will lead to females with smaller pelvic measurements. I am not opposed to low BW bulls, in fact I am in constant search for one that has a low BW without sacrificing performance. I just think we have to know what we want as an end product ...and be a little careful what we wish for.

There appears to be some differences between breeds when it comes to birth weight and performance. Where we hold our bull test for our Shorthorn bulls, there is also an Angus bull test , so it has been interesting to watch the two breeds develop. As I have mentioned here several times before, we have never had a Shorthorn bull in the bottom 50% of BW end the test in the top 50% ( ie: index over 100) for growth. That is in two years of tests and 120 bulls. This leads me to think that where we want and need to be is somewhere in the middle.... or optimum BW and optimum growth. In the Angus test, the same trend is seen, however, it is not as significant as in the Shorthorn pen. This is probably due to breed differences, along with generations of selection on a much larger gene pool.