New JPJ son

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

Cattle don't get docked at 900. They get docked (slightly, sometimes not at all in some plants) at 950. The biggest dock is at 1000.
vcsf said:
shorties said:
I would almost guarantee that the average slaughter age is a lot closer to 18 months than it is to 13.

You are correct. However, accelerated finishing programs can produce cattle that kill at 12-13 months consistently.

kfacres

I to like this bull, and I too saw him in Dever... I think he is an excellent choice for BW in heifers, (as good as any bull in th SH breed)  With JPJ x Mission, you can't get much smaller calves for a pedigree... 

Capishe is a super moderate, thick, deep, wide, fleshy, kind of a bull-- as are most JPJ's...  I think he has his problems, though...  Capishe was a bit straight upfront, and did role when set in motion.. he even appears to be so in pictures, and on the side profile... This I think could be a serious concern, and could breed on quite a bit...  Especially if Capishe is bred to make clubby kinda shorthorn calves, on D-stuff and the like lines!  from what I have seen of some JPJ's and some of the Missions, they too are a bit straight, particually upfront...  So that problem hails form genetics! 

I have used and will continue using Mission on my cattle...and Capishe is definately on my list of bulls to try on heifers this year!  and in the future... I have been to Cagwin's and seen many Mission cattle, and IMO they are the future..  JPJ seems to be a hit.. and IMHO this bull combines both worlds, of similar breeding bulls!  Moderate, Fleshy, thick and funtional....  They make (or will make) brood cows!  The smart end of the Shorthorn breed is gettng tired of those bit hard doing, hard calving "sticks" that did win in the showring...