New niche market for the cattle industry

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Tired of trying to breed Beefpaca's or Mini Shorthorns????   We have found a new angle to try!

SCOTTISH KOBE BEEF!!!    DL, Barrel Racer and Knabe.....Will we face any genetic issues??????

Attachments

• scottish kobe beef.jpg
    scottish kobe beef.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 830

knabe

two people have these near me and another had 3 or 4 come in a car load near my uncle's farm in kansas.  Differences noted were at least 5 colors, black, cream, regular brown and a mix, brindle? of black and brown as well as whitish.  kind of remind me of kelpie dog colors.  some were polled, some had straightish horns, others longer and slightly curved at the end.  two types of hair coats, regular shag and super shag,  most suffered from lack of muscle, narrow, had bad udders, kinda big headed.  always heard the usual rumors that show steer people crossed with them to get hair and made tons of money, perhaps like male calico cats.  they look great in the morning just as the sun rises and there is fog in an oak forest.

red

Wasn't a somewhat popular clubbie bull out of a Highland? He was supper hairy. Maybe even had Hairy in his name. Always wondered how those turned out.
Do they give the Highland's beer like they do in Japan?

Red

red

red said:
Wasn't a somewhat popular clubbie bull out of a Highland? He was supper hairy. Maybe even had Hairy in his name. Always wondered how those turned out.

Red

now, I'm answering my own question. Is that a bad sign?  (lol)
Think the bull I was thinking of was Daines Hairy Crumb. maybe wasn't Highland but Galloway? Any ideas?

Red

OH Breeder

red said:
red said:

Red

now, I'm answering my own question. Is that a bad sign?  (lol)
Think the bull I was thinking of was Daines Hairy Crumb. maybe wasn't Highland but Galloway? Any ideas?

Red

Red you are correct. Highlands are long haired as well.

Attachments

• Silver_Dollar.jpg
    Silver_Dollar.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 515
  • HawkswoodDelores.jpg
    HawkswoodDelores.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 512
  • HawkswoodMuffy.jpg
    HawkswoodMuffy.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 511

red

(lol) as opposed to a Galloway!
1.jpg

genes

Right now we have showheifers at school for a showmanship competition.  Half and half between red and black clubbies, then 2 Galloways.  I thought they came from a separate farm, but no.  What a strange combo of breeds to have.

I never knew Daines Hairy Crumb was .... something hairy.

shortdawg

We've had a couple of Scottish Highlands in our State Show the last two years. They didn't compete with the clubbies but had a lot of second looks.

DL

Highlands are real interesting cattle and according to Harlan Ritchie one of 2 breeds of cattle from the Isles that haven't been "diluted" with Beefpaca or some other breed. Can you name the other one?

Yup red, Hairy Crumb was 25% Galloway (as opposed to Belted Galloway - the oreo cookie cow)

DL

red

dragon lady said:
Highlands are real interesting cattle and according to Harlan Ritchie one of 2 breeds of cattle from the Isles that haven't been "diluted" with Beefpaca or some other breed. Can you name the other one?

Yup red, Hairy Crumb was 25% Galloway (as opposed to Belted Galloway - the oreo cookie cow)

DL

I know this one but I'm coming up w/ a total blank! Devon's? Dexter?
:)))
Red

DL

3 cheers for red  (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)
Dexters! (cow) (cow) (cow)

genes

dragon lady said:

DL

Yeah I found the website and they "admitted" it.  (no offense to Galloways, I just thought clubby guys would say much beyond 5 breeds or so).  And they had another bull by the same dam, so I'm assuming she must be all right http://www.rosankycattle.com/bulls.html    Isn't the Daines ranch in BC?  Hmm.

One family in out club had Galloways and they always just left them long curly haired.  One other guy had a cross once and he did well with it's hair....it was straight.

My guess is White Park :)

cowz

Here's your white park cattle.  Is that the right guess, DL?

Attachments

• whitepark.jpg
    whitepark.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 640
  • whitepark2.jpg
    whitepark2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 619

red

dragon lady said:
3 cheers for red  (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)
Dexters! (cow) (cow) (cow)

No, guys- I got it w/ Dexters!!!!
Love the white Parks though.

Red

knabe

interesting picture of kobe beef

http://www.askthemeatman.com/kobe_beef.htm

no neck, smooth sides, noticeable age with dew claws

there's a link to lobels kobe beef on that page with nice well marbled cuts

http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=123

jason

Funny this thread came back up, I was just talking to a guy that breeds them here in ks this weekend.

knabe

update

http://www.kobe-beef.com/

$52.50 plus shipping for a 12 oz NY steak

KBA thrives on offering high quality Kobe Style products at prices you can afford

now that's marketing, everyone can afford it!