new shorty herd sire opinions welcome

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I love fried chicken......my wife won't eat it though. She says she won't eat any thing that eats with its pecker.

caledon101

aj.....the word "enemy" was admittedly not the best way to reference the competition for consumer dollars. It was meant metaphorically.

J

JTM

renegadelivestock said:
Caledon stated that he owned my bulls dam at one time. Neither him or myself stated that I purchased the bull from him. In actual fact I purchased the bull from a completely separate party. I bought him with the intention of using him on my dirty clubby cows. My interest in this bull is only to produce show cattle. I am certainly capable making my own breeding decisions and did not buy this bull on the advice of Caledon or anyone else. As has been stated many many times on the site by multiple posters, the trump line is predominately a show line, is there not a distinct possibility of the bw and ce statistics on these lines hving been skewed by show management, and feed programs?
It's seems pretty clear that Renegadelivestock new exactly what he was buying. A white Shorthorn show bull to breed to his clubby genetics. Probably in an attempt to get blue roans to sell for good money. I agree with mostly all of the feedback on the bull and at the same time the reality is that given his genetics, and being white, he is a pretty good animal for what he will be used for. He will more than likely start to show more masculinity later as he gets older. With that said there are many problems with the history of calving and lack of early masculinity and potentially fertility and foot structure with these genetics. They are the show winners though and people will pay for those fancy calves that will come out of this bull. Most likely show winners. I personally am getting away from it because of the issues I listed but to each his own! Good luck with the bull!

mark tenenbaum

I think JTM sums up 2 sides pretty well.There are alot of show calves of various persuasions that arent meant for EPDS-breed evaluations. I havent stood behind this bull to see how girly he really is-but if he were used on dark footed dark or black cattle-the calves would probably throw more towards the maine-and be much better and stouter than if you beed him to a Shorthorn-thats how shorthorns cross-and thats why so many cattle go back to them-they allmost allways cross better than they do purebred-Especially IF they have a little maine or chi (like: the Millbrooke "shorthorns" Rodeo,CD,Enticer ,those great Oklahoma cattle of the 80s and 90s , the appendix fullblood maine shorts: that pioneers like Geoff Connel produced along with a number of Iowa breeders rtc.) O0