New to showing steers! Need Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Nubz

So I have a May calf from last year and our fair is 6 weeks away (end of August) He weighed 882 last weekend. Will he make a 1000# by than? I did switch my feed to the AAOK mix or at least its real close to it! There are 2 steers in the pen but they do go through 50# a day! Also what do you use to keep a white steer white? I will ask about hair growth next year Thank You.

Limiman12

End of August is a lot more then six weeks away.  He will make 1000 by then, but he needs to be more then that.  He needs to be pushed.

Nubz

He weighed 885 June 30th our fair is the end July what do you think? Between the two steers they are eating 50# of grain a day and I make sure there is hay in front them all day. I have another steer but he has a very big attitude and I am firm believer it isn't worth anyone getting hurt, and seeing that my nephew is only ten we will not be taking him. If I separate them they stop eating.

vc

I assume you mean May 30th, Not much you can do but pour the feed to him and hope he hits the weight minimum. I would make sure he is full when he hits the scale. Keep him cool so he keeps eating, may try feeding 3 times a day to get a little more in him. I would add provisos to his feed 2 times a week just to be safe.
For your next calf look for a calf born in February or early March, this will help get him to finish with out the stress of needing to push him. Much easier to hold one then push him. Our fair is the first part of July and we look for calves with some grow in them, that are January - early March calves ( depends on the calf) they have a better chance to reach their potential.
Good luck.

Latest posts