Nose Rings

Help Support Steer Planet:

David

What age do people usually put nose rings in their bulls? Or do you only put them in the ones that show some aggressive behavior? Also do you recommend using them or just using snap in leads?

shortyjock89

I prefer nose rings, we usually put them in our bulls around 10 months of age.

justme

We rung ours at 10 months this year.  Always showed with the clamp in kind before now.  Wow the ring is alot easier and safer.  The bulls I showed with the clip in kind new it was coming and were never to happy when we brought them around.

ROAD WARRIOR

I absolutely hate the temporary nose plugs, bulls get smart to when you are going to put them in and that can be quite dangerous as well. I usually ring the bulls we are going to show somewhere between 8 and 10 months old and have done them much older. RW

justme

I've concluded I'll never have another bull without a ring...safety reasons

Can a husband  be legally fit for one? lol

justme

most of MO has any bull over 10 months of age showing needs a nose ring or lead

GLZ

Is that something your vet normally does, or do you do it yourself.

justintime

I have done hundred myself, and it is quite easy to do... at least it is easier than a lot of other things we do with cattle. Some bull buyers don't want them in as they can get the bull hung up in bush or on whatever
I became a believer when a big show bull snapped and got me down. If he had not had a ring, I am fairly certain I would have been toast.
';

Cattledog

justintime said:
I have done hundred myself, and it is quite easy to do... at least it is easier than a lot of other things we do with cattle. Some bull buyers don't want them in as they can get the bull hung up in bush or on whatever

';

We had a bull get his ring caught on a nail in our fence.  I felt bad when I realized the bull was caught on the fence.  I saw him standing along the fence when I left for church and when I returned home after later getting groceries he was in the same spot.  I have no idea how long he was standing there before I gave him a hand.

midway6376

We did our's ourselves. But our bull kept on getting it caught on fence posts so we just cut it out. But my bull is tame enough without one.

Ryan

We do all our bulls at weaning. We figure they are going through the stress of weaning, shots, brand, etc... that we get the nose ring out of the way at the same time. We don't touch it for a couple weeks usually.  Then we remove them after their show careers are over.  I put the nose ring in myself, and agree that it is fairly easy to do, if you know what you are doing. If not, you can have an unfavorable hole (i.e. too close to the front of the nose)

Ryan

red

we ring our bulls. Some shows & sales require it. Also it makes it safer for the nephews if it's a herd bull. I've used the ring & a show stick to catch them. Our vet does it. Usually when we need health papers or doing semen tests.

Red

Throttle

I've done them anytime between weaning and yearling. I've always been surprised at how well they take it and never really saw it as a big deal shoving it thru there, and I get queasy on big dehorning days on the commercial cattle :p Had a 3 year old bull rip his out a few years ago. He didn't seem too worried about it but I sure felt bad when I saw it, ever after that he looked kinda like he had two mouths

afhm

Those temporary rings seem to only ticked the animals and make things worse.  I have alway removed the rings when show careers are over and pasture duty calls.

LazyGLowlines

We have the show bulls ringed by the vet when they're around a year old.  We're like justme....too big a softie to do it ourselves even though we do most everything else.