Off Topic - Big XII is Dead - Long live the Big XII

Help Support Steer Planet:

forcheyhawk

Alscows said:
here's what i think

Big 10- Missouri, Nebraska, k state , kansas, Iowa state, Notre Dame(won't happen)  These are all

Personally I don't think the B10 is going any further than Nebraska out of the Big 12 at this time.  I think they won't add any more teams until Notre Dame commits to the conference or they can find a team to open a significant television market in the east ie. Rutgers.  The way the Big 10 Network works is that the states where the Big 10 has a presence the channel is carried on the Basic Pkg.  It's on the sports tier in states where there's no member team.  So, Notre Dame opens up a Nat'l audience (arguable and debateable :))  Also while Rutgers doesn't look attractive on paper, they could open up the New York/New Jersey television markets for the Big 10 which would generate a great deal of added revenue.  I think once either of those two things happen then I think Missouri will get an invitation.  I could be wrong on that though and they may get one before just to secure them because the B12 is putting the screws to them.  So out of your list above - Iowa State is in a television market that is already open.  Kansas/KState would open a market but I'm not sure that's the area that the B10 wants to go.  I think the key is to think East rather than much further south than Missouri.

forcheyhawk

To add to what I said above about the B10 moving south, I do think they would move south if it involved Texas.  I just don't think Texas is interested in sharing revenue and traveling that far North and East.  That's my opinion though.  Nothing really would surprise me with this expansion talk anymore.

husker1

Davis Shorthorns said:
cotullaguy said:
if we could get to a playoff system, this would not matter...we really still do not have a national champion.

Davis Shorthorns....

Nebraska does not deserve any blame in this deal....they were given a deadline and I really believe made a call based on the assumption (actually, probably a fact that they already knew) that UT and some other schools were planning to bolt to the Pac 10. 

Anything to get rid of UT is a great deal.....they controlled the management of the Big 12 in so many ways from the beginning.

forcheyhawk

Be interesting to see how much pull UT has in the Pac 16.  You talk about snobs - Stanford has historically rejected bids in the past to expand the conference due to a team not meeting academic requirements.  I'm surprised Stanford's not going nuts over this whole deal.

oakview

I understand that Nebraska felt slighted because Texas, and probably the South Division of the Big XII, ran things.  It is hard to deal with being the top dog and falling behind the top programs.  I hope Nebraska can return to where they used to be, but with their recent difficulty with even winning the North Division, let alone competing with Texas, Oklahoma, etc., I can understand why they want out.  I suppose that Ohio State will be more than willing to hold the Big Ten championship game in Omaha.  

In reality, at least half of the teams in the existing conferences have no business, or chance, of competing consistently with the handful of big shots.  You're kidding yourself if you think Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, etc., have the long term ability to compete with Ohio State, Texas, Florida, etc.  It is apparent that a few semi-pro, I will not refer to them as educational institutions any longer, want to control every dollar that they can.  Let them form their own division and beat each other's brains out.  Perhaps the NFL can go ahead and subsidize this developmental league so taxpayers don't have to.  I will predict that in the near future, if you want to watch a college sporting event on TV, you will pay for each one, ala carte.  Want to watch the Rose Bowl?  Shell out $50 for pay per view.  Want to see the Alamo Bowl?  That'll only cost you $35.  It's coming.  College football has lost a fan.

buckeye

Jeff_Schroeder said:
With all due respect to KSU the Big Ten schools are snobs.  There's no way they take a tier 3 non-AAU school.

What is your reasoning for this? yes I may be bias but I believe the Big Ten is the best all around conference

JSchroeder

That wasn't a slam on the Big Ten.  It's just what has been talked about regarding the subject ever since the days of the SWC.

I must say though that I wouldn't grant an 'all around' title to a conference that pays such little attention to baseball.

chambero

I don't know it for a fact, but I don't think our tax dollars do support these athletic programs - hence why they chase the dollar so hard.  Somebody likes watching them is why the tv networks will pay out these dollars for the conference deals.

We gripe about the lack of emphasis of these schools on educational programs, but you don't see posts on this site about such and such professor leaving or the engineering department getting a huge grant for a new research building.  WE are the problem - if there is one - because the only thing we get interested in is the athletic program - namely football.  Football pays the bills for all of the other athletic programs and who knows what else at these universities.

The only fingers to be pointed at here should be ourselves.

One thing about it, I'll be rooting for Nebraska more often now.  And a UT-USC conference championship game (or whoever gets to them - assuming they will have a conference championship about which there is apparently a lot of debate) will be a little more exciting than the afterthought the Big 12 Championship game has been for a while.

forcheyhawk

Jeff_Schroeder said:
That wasn't a slam on the Big Ten.  It's just what has been talked about regarding the subject ever since the days of the SWC.

I must say though that I wouldn't grant an 'all around' title to a conference that pays such little attention to baseball.

Until the college baseball season is moved, I doubt it will ever be as popular as youth and high school baseball/softball in the midwest.  It needs to be moved to summer.  Likewise, I would think that a school with the size and resources of Texas could field a wrestling program.  I know that doesn't figure into this topic that much, but it's good to know that both Missouri and Nebraska have quality wrestling programs to add to the B10 conference.

JSchroeder

Chambero, you’re right, at least in Texas no tax money goes into the athletic budgets.

Forcheyhawk, agreed, but the NCAA did move the start of the baseball season back a bit for the northern schools already and Oregon State won two national titles just a few years back.  The Big Ten is a great conference, I’m just never going to consider it great ‘all around’ as long as they ignore baseball but I’m admittedly biased in that regard.

jason

Confirmed Colorado to the Pac 10, the big 12 rests on if Nebraska goes to the Big Ten, which is almost certain.

I read that the most popular basketball program, UNC, total revenue is only equal to what Texas does in 2 home football games.  So you can see why KU is going to get the shaft.  

This is a crappy deal all around for KU, KSU, Iowa State, and whoever gets left out down in TX.
::)

jason

I know the NCAA Tournament makes a ton of money, but from my understanding the payout is spread out more between schools and the NCAA funds most of their budget for the year off that one event.  That is why you won't see a playoff system in football, at least not an NCAA sanctioned playoff system.

JSchroeder

Re:Kansas State and the entire athletic program, they'd still rank last in their conference for director's cup points this year even if they were in the Mountain West.

The only reason I'd even think of faulting Nebraska is they were the ones behind the formation of the Big XII.  To be the first to bail on it is a bit odd.

jason

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Re:Kansas State and the entire athletic program, they'd still rank last in their conference for director's cup points this year even if they were in the Mountain West.

The only reason I'd even think of faulting Nebraska is they were the ones behind the formation of the Big XII.  To be the first to bail on it is a bit odd.

Where would you prefer A&M if the big 12 does blow up, sec or pac 10 with the rest of big 12 south.

JSchroeder

The SEC for a few reasons…

One, it would get A&M out from the shadow of Texas.  There's really no reason for a football recruit to pick A&M over UT right now.  A&M getting overshadowed by Texas would only intensify in the Pac-16 because…

Two, A&M is in no way, shape, or form a west coast school.  Austin would fit in on the west coast just fine.  A&M will not only be a geographic outlier but along with Tech and OSU they would completely out of place culturally.

Three, there would be tons of savings that would come from not having to clean up the graffiti and other vandalism after Texas Tech visits.  :)

Don't get me wrong, A&M will almost definitely get kicked around in football by the SEC schools for the next few years but it's a risk worth taking to differentiate the school from Texas.  

Honestly though, my only real hope is that Missouri gets left out of everything.  I truly feel bad for the KSU, KU, and ISU fans.  Missouri started this crap and it'd be nice to see them get the short end of it all when it's done.

husker1

Jeff_Schroeder said:

However, Jeff....remember Texas took over mgt. of the big 12 years ago....Any time another team gives a league member an ultimatum, it's kind of a sign that there is a problem in the power chain....

Nebraska did nothing wrong, the writing was on the wall......TO just had  the ***** to call the bluff.