Off Topic - Big XII is Dead - Long live the Big XII

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Actually, at the risk of alienating some pretty darn good folks, the fact that Nebraska is trying to ditch on the two years notice thing is pretty shady.

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Texas ought to be pushing for neutral field games if Nebraska plans on not reciprocating the home/home schedule.
Jeff any divorce is painful.  If you can get over it quickly rather than staying in a lame duck sitiuation for another year,  why not choose the quicker option?  I realize the shoe is on the other foot here.  Our leadership was offered a very stable situation with the Big Ten and it's their job to look at the longterm best interest of the University.  

Nothing about the Big 12 was pointing to longterm stability.  You might want to say that it was about greed on Nebraskas part but Texas could have held
the conference together by agreeing to an equally shared Big 12 Network.

I will miss the matchups we had in the Big 12.  Poor leadership in the Big 12 was a major problem.  If Beebe would have been proactive and pursued expansion the minute the Big Ten started discussions, the conference possibly could have been saved.

I have heard several fans of Big 12 schools say that we are ignoring tradition with this move. Most Nebraska fans have never been able to get over the fact that tradition was ruined at the inception of the Big 12 when they  took the anual rivalry of OU/NU away.  I have several good friends that are Hawkeye fans and it won't take much for that to become a heated rivalry game.
Tony

JSchroeder

I have nothing against your final few paragraphs or your view of the reasons for the downfall of the Big XII.  Nebraska has every right to leave the Big XII conference, there are even rules within the conference that allow for it.

However, backing out of the two years notice requirement is a completely different deal.  It's not like it's Texas is requiring it, it's an agreement Nebraska made that they are backing out of.  Claiming somebody is just doing what is best for themselves allows for the justification of all sorts of dirty stuff.

JSchroeder

Each Member Institution agrees that in the event such Member desires to withdraw from the Conference, that it will in good faith give Notice not less than two (2) years before the end of the Current Term or any Additional Term, as the case may be.

It was part of the by-laws from the start of the conference.

GONEWEST

ZNT said:
afhm said:
Why not form a Texas Conference?  There are more than enough teams to do so.
Viewing audience and depth of schedule. Look at Boise State. Their lack of conference schedule prevents them from playing for National Titles.  Plus the major population centers in Texas do not have powerhouse universities within them. 

The reason Boise State even gets to go to a bowl game is because of the conference they play in. They should be really happy and stay where they are so that the idiots who make up the polls just look at records and not who the opponents are. Most high school teams here could have the same record against the opponents Boise plays. Cincinnati finally played someone and look what happened. TCU and Boise played in some big bowl last year and neither one of them STILL have played anyone.

If Kansas, Iowa State and K State are all that's left in the Big 12, will the conference  still get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl? The thing that needs to be changed is the automatic berths to these bowls. There are more deserving teams with 7 or 8 wins in a competitive  conference that deserve to be in a big bowl game than the Big East champion or the ACC champion.

With USC on automatic decline with the hiring of their new coach, they are now making warp speed to the bottom with the NCAA sanctions. If the new teams come in as speculated, all the best teams from the PAC 10 won't even be pacific coast teams!!!

I think this is all bizarre.

RSC

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Each Member Institution agrees that in the event such Member desires to withdraw from the Conference, that it will in good faith give Notice not less than two (2) years before the end of the Current Term or any Additional Term, as the case may be.

It was part of the by-laws from the start of the conference.
You have a point Jeff.  I would assume if the 6 head to the Pac Whatever that they will stay here for the two years.  I would assume it would be very difficult for them to set up a schedule for 6 additional teams in a short period.

Tony

RSC

GONEWEST said:
ZNT said:
afhm said:
Why not form a Texas Conference?  There are more than enough teams to do so.
Viewing audience and depth of schedule. Look at Boise State. Their lack of conference schedule prevents them from playing for National Titles.  Plus the major population centers in Texas do not have powerhouse universities within them.  

The reason Boise State even gets to go to a bowl game is because of the conference they play in. They should be really happy and stay where they are so that the idiots who make up the polls just look at records and not who the opponents are. Most high school teams here could have the same record against the opponents Boise plays. Cincinnati finally played someone and look what happened. TCU and Boise played in some big bowl last year and neither one of them STILL have played anyone.

If Kansas, Iowa State and K State are all that's left in the Big 12, will the conference  still get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl? The thing that needs to be changed is the automatic berths to these bowls. There are more deserving teams with 7 or 8 wins in a competitive  conference that deserve to be in a big bowl game than the Big East champion or the ACC champion.

With USC on automatic decline with the hiring of their new coach, they are now making warp speed to the bottom with the NCAA sanctions. If the new teams come in as speculated, all the best teams from the PAC 10 won't even be pacific coast teams!!!

I think this is all bizarre.
I ve read that the BCS has a bylaw that states that the BCS Conference automatic status is revoked if a certian number of BCS schools leave that conference.

Tony

Attachments

• Throwing Football.gif
    Throwing Football.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 412

JSchroeder

Texas is still trying to throw their weight around.  I've never really been the stereotypical Aggie in that I don't really have anything against UT but the arrogance they're displaying now that A&M would dare to consider doing anything but what they say is pretty shocking.

If A&M follows them to the Pac-x now the program is dead.

jason

Around here the talk is that everyone is hoping A&M goes to the SEC and possibly opens up a spot for KU to the Pac 10. 

Also talk about all the leftovers going to the Big East or to the MWC.  I think KU has a big enough brand that they will end up alright, but I am not sure about KSU.

I understand why Nebraska left, I don't understand the shots they took on the way out.  They want make sure they are not blamed for the breakup of the big 12.

shortdawg

So if A&M goes to the SEC West, who would go to the SEC East ? I sincerely hate that this is happening to the  Big 12 b/c I it's my favorite conference other than the SEC. I think I would freak out if the SEC ever considered breaking up. You know GA Tech used to be in our conference many moons ago.

RSC

Jason said:
Around here the talk is that everyone is hoping A&M goes to the SEC and possibly opens up a spot for KU to the Pac 10. 

Also talk about all the leftovers going to the Big East or to the MWC.  I think KU has a big enough brand that they will end up alright, but I am not sure about KSU.

I understand why Nebraska left, I don't understand the shots they took on the way out.  They want make sure they are not blamed for the breakup of the big 12.
Please explain to me what shots Nebraska took on the way out?  I'm not talking about message board drivel by fans, what shots did the admin. take?

Tony

Davis Shorthorns

RSC said:
Jason said:

Please explain to me what shots Nebraska took on the way out?  I'm not talking about message board drivel by fans, what shots did the admin. take?

Tony

I think that he is refering to the press conference from Tom Osborn  and the fact that he said Colorado and Nebraska didn't destroy if the south schools leave they destroyed the conference. 

jason

RSC said:
Jason said:

Tony

Basically blaming Mizzou and Texas and talking how much better the big 10 is than the big 12.  I just thought they could of handled it differently.  Also I think it is bs if they want to play 1 year.  I understand why the left and I don't blame them, but I just thought they belittled the conference on the way out.

jason

Latest news

Big 12 staying together as a 10 team league???
or
Texas, TT, OU, OSU, (KU or Utah) to Pac 10 and Aggies to SEC?

shortdawg

I guess a 13 team SEC would work but it just seems like 14 would work better. I hope the Big 12 stays intact but if we do get some teams added I would love for OU to be one of them. A UGA/OU game in Athens or Norman intrigues me for sure. All these teams mentioned fit the SEC West great but the SEC East ?

JSchroeder

I’m glad we worked cattle today so I could wean myself from the computer.  I even left the Droid in the truck.

After getting back, disappointing is the only way I can describe today's news.  The reasons Nebraska supposedly left are only going to be amplified now and I really don't care to take part in anything involving Texas after the way they handled this stuff.

How can you double TV revenue after dropping Nebraska?

How can you trust Missouri further than you can throw them from now on? 

I’m going to choose to be happy for KSU, ISU, Baylor, etc.  They didn’t deserve to be messed over the way they were going to be if everything went as it looked like it was going to.

crown33

so it looks like now that Texas will stay in the big 12 and the conference is still together...got it just off espn

BDCO

THE TEXAS A&M PRESIDENT JUST SAID" Texas A&M is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference and will continue to be affiliated with the conference in the future. As Athletics Director Bill Byrne and I have stated on numerous occasions, our hope and desire was for the Big 12 to continue. We are committed to the Big 12 and its success today and in the future."

farwest

BDCO said:
THE TEXAS A&M PRESIDENT JUST SAID" Texas A&M is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference and will continue to be affiliated with the conference in the future. As Athletics Director Bill Byrne and I have stated on numerous occasions, our hope and desire was for the Big 12 to continue. We are committed to the Big 12 and its success today and in the future."
The rest are gonna let texas bully em for now.  Most don't have a better deal.  Texas A&M would be fine where ever they went.  They got a great young team, took texas deep into the fourth quarter last year as i recall with a whole bunch of freshmen.  They don't need Texas.  How's the rest going to feel about texas getting alot bigger piece of the pie if something would happen such as at usc with recruiting violations and the team would have some down years.  Very possible.  Why then would they get more money.  Texas don't want to go to the sec or the pac 10.  It's harder to bully outside of your neighborhood.