Old farm sayings

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

For fun and maybe and education....I heard an old saying from my mother today
She saw dust devils in the corn field. It has been kind dry here lately and she said...." that is a sign of hot dry summer" Do you folks have any "old farm sayings...."

red

It's also how the dust devil is rotating. If it's going counterclock way the facuet is being turn off ( or the other way, never can remember!)

unclebuck

Had an old timer tell me that "if the dust devil blows away from the sun....dry weather.... if it blows toward the sun...rain on the way."

cowz

Red sky in morning, sailor take warning (bad weather)  Red sky at night, sailor's delight.    (Fair weather)

genes

"Balls on a Heifer"  ;D No meaning to it....from the guy who told it sounds like it was just an expression his mom used, as an alternative to swearing.  I thought it was funny.

I can't think of any real ones at this time...sorry.

afhm

Unknown to many the teats on a boar hog are actually useful.  The number of teats they have is the number of piglets will be born in their litters(or it may be their daughters's litters).  I'm not a hog person but remeber that from college.

genes

But then how come the sows never have the right number of teats?  One of the sows in for teaching labs this year had 18.....and nowhere near that many teats.

stick

Plant in the mud, the crops a dud, plant in the dust, the bins will bust.

cowz

ELBEE said:
My father speaking on gangs; "One boy, one brain. Two boys, half a brain. Three boys, no brain at all."

My grandpa lived to be 102 years old.  His favorite saying was a version of this, but it had to do with cattle dogs:

One dog is a great dog, two dogs are half a dog, and three dogs aint no dog at all!

cowz

My dad has a weather "old wives tale"  You note the detail of the weather on the first 3 days of December.  The weather on the 1st will equal the type of weather in January, the 2nd for Feb, and the 3rd for March.  Seems like it works......but maybe only in the Rockies where it is predictably cold?  Any thing like this in other parts of the country?

red

if it rains on Easter Sunday there will be 7 Sunday's of rain after that.
No rain this Easter.

Red

Telos

This is one of my favorites from a west Texas rancher.  "Sometimes I feel like I'm just pissin in the wind".

OH Breeder

Those folks that might have been a little mentally challenged or confused.....
"He/She doesn't know if there fishing or squirrel hunting" " Ain't got enought sense to get in out of the rain."

Telos

Referring to someone who is just not right......"They're not rowing with both oars in the water".

bluegrass

My great grand father use to say that you could sow seed any month of the year except august, because in august you were to busy with tobacco to do anything else.   
                      Matt