old shoe

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

I just want to add that if Sullivan's cattle weren't so good, they wouldn't have any bidders helping them ruin the breed. If you know the Sullivan family @ all, you would know that they have been up and down the road more than once as far as life experiences. They are very hard working, salt of the earth kind of PPL and if you get them down, one thing that you can count on for SURE, is that they'll pick themselves up and get right back after it as hard as anybody. Brent C.

justintime

Since I wrote an article on my trip to Scotland in June, John Sullivan  contacted me and asked if he could go with me on my next trip. He said he is interested in seeing Shorthorns in other countries. I think if he was to find genetics that would work for him, he would acquire them.... just like any other breeder would do. I give this family credit for understanding this business about as much as anyone I know of. Yes, they are cloning their best.... but I suspect if anyone else who was financially able to, and had the desire to further the breed, would do the same.

John is a go-er and a do-er. He and his family have probably has done more in the few short years he has been in this breed, than many other families very dream of doing in 2 or 3 generations. They have been very successful in all their business endevours. That said, i am sure they have made many mistakes along the way.... and I am sure they have learned something from every one of them.

Steer Boy 101

Maybe, just maybe we should stop worrying about how far ahead others are and we should just stop and think, you know if i really am jeliouls of how far ahead they are then just then maybe i should try harder and over come them. it can happen just like the thought of a homegrown showsteer cant beat a steer from some big name such as sullivians or Lautner or Bobby May here in Wisconsin. they know there cattle no questions asked but maybe we should just breed our make our own stuff and stop complaings. or at least that what my dad always said if u have a problem with it then just figure it out ur self.

oakbar

You gotta admit--John and his crew have put some awfully good cattle out there!  Personally, I have to say that John's always been very cordial and friendly to me even though I'm not a big player in the breed.    He has a line up of females that are second to none in any breed  IMHO!!  Am I a little envious that he's got so many good ones--you bet I am--but  I also have a great appreciation for his organization and his cattle.  Don't worry there's someone out there (that if they work at it hard enough or has a stroke of good genetic luck) that will have the "next big thing" in Shorthorn genetics.  I won't be surprised, though, if the Sullivan crew is working with them when they find it. 

OH Breeder

The one thing I think some folks forget about is you are writing derogatory opinions in a public form. For one moment step back and think, if someone was making statements about you how you would feel. I guess, when I have an issue I take it up with the source. The last place to come is the internet. It is a venue that many can see and remain anonymous. My point, think before you post. You may not care at all. JMO  :-\

shortyjock89

OH Breeder said:
The one thing I think some folks forget about is you are writing derogatory opinions in a public form. For one moment step back and think, if someone was making statements about you how you would feel. I guess, when I have an issue I take it up with the source. The last place to come is the internet. It is a venue that many can see and remain anonymous. My point, think before you post. You may not care at all. JMO  :-\

I agree 100% If you don't like the way people acheive success, then take it up with them.  I don't have a thing against Sullivan's, in fact, I really like the fact that they do so well.  They haven't been in the breed very long, but it sure seems like they have it figured out pretty well.  I've also never heard of them being rude or snooty to people, even though I've never talked to them much.  Our chutes were set up near each other at Jr. Nationals, and they were just fine with me watching their fitters go to town on their heifers.  Like someone else said, no one bellyaches about Cates, Rasor, Kimmerling, Duis or any of the other big players in the breed, and even though Sullivan's are new to the breed, they're not new to success.

aj

Is some of the concern a decrease in registrations? I guess I really don't try and compete against the big guns cause I don't like the 120# bwt calves you have to throw in order to compete. I do think the Shorthorn breed is in for a crash in registration numbers. If the judges never pick an underdog you eventually give up I would think. The breed doesn't keep the junior members either I am told. It seems like most of the junior directors are never heard of again in Shorthorn cattle(there are exceptions I know).

itk

There has been a influx of "high rollers" in the breed over the last few years. My concern is their commitment to real breed improvement over the long haul or if they will even stay in for the long haul. IMO there has been a disturbing lack of gentic diversity in the top sales over the past few years which is a concern due to the reduction of "foundation herds" as well. If these breeders get out tomorrow they will not have made a bigger impact on the breed then someone who has raised shorthorns for generations even if on a smaller budget. I would also argue that not selling semen on breed improving sires is more of a commitment to ones self then breed improvement. Also, is buying a heifer and putting her in your back pasture so you don't have to show against her a commitment to competition. I guess the moral of my post it is just to soon to know what the impact of these new breeders is, good or bad. Give it ten years and see how widespread their genetics are or if they are even still raising shorthorns at all. Finally, it seems to me that people that jump in with a bunch of money seem to not to be around as long as as those who slowly build a herd. The purebred industry seems to be like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady seems to win the race.

shortdawg

I spent half a day with John back in Sept. and he is one of the most down to earth guys I've ever met. He rode me around in a 67 Ford Pickup Truck to look at all his cattle. There are a lot of affordable cattle on his place ( one SH + heifer now calls GA home ) and the quality is solid. Heck we went through the heifers that will be in the bred heifer section of his sale next year and maybe 100 calves from cooperator herds. I was very impressed with the way he runs his deal. I asked him how the supply company got its start and you would be surprised if you heard the story; it sure didn't just fall in his lap. I would advise anyone to just go by for a visit and talk with him yourself. I'm pretty much a nobody in the breed and he treated me like I was spending $ 100,000. JMHO, take it for what it's worth !!!

JbarL

knabe said:
showsteer09 said:
It just bothers me everythime we buy something from them  as in show supplys it gose in to the cattle heard

make your own products.  make your own show sticks.  make your own blowers.  i can't believe it's so hard to compete.  i still say a product to start with is a muffler for a generator or a sound box for a blower like printers used to have.
some time ago we used to use a hunting cabin....ok a poker, wild turkey cabin.....in gilmer county wva......nothing for miles...but you could here that generator running 30 miles away it seemed..... :D...we took the muffler off and piped it straight out....and down...into a 30 gal drum of water after it started.....worked good...just dont let it run out of gas and start to sputter or it will  back suck water right into the cylinder and your done....thats why i like the diesel gen's....running @ 1750 rpms makes it alot eaiser to be around....jbarl

oakview

If you think back to the first time you pulled a steer into the show ring at your county fair, or held on for dear life, whichever the case may be, you dreamt about being able to do what Sullivans, Cates, etc., are doing.  Most of us thought about how wonderful it would be to have the time, money, ability, dedication, work ethic, to run with the big boys.  After a few years of taking your lumps and learning, you either decide to put more effort into competition, do the best you can and be happy with it, or give up and complain about the leaders.  I admire what the leaders in the Shorthorn breed are doing, whether they focus on the showring or commercial aspect.  The increasing number of quality Shorthorns I see tells me there are more people stepping up their effort for excellence as opposed to giving up. 

CJC

OLD WORLD SHORTIE he's just a big oh cry baby."CAN YOU SAY LOSER"  I bet if he brought some of those shorties down here to TEXAS and got beat he would be crying about that too.

HEY OLD WORLD SHORTIE there's and old saying "If you can't bet'em; you might think about joining them.

So go get you some of them Sullivan genetics son and improve your herd; so you can be a winner too and QUIT CRYING.

oakbar

There's no need to get that negative!!  Old World Shortie is entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us!  The name calling,etc. should be reserved for the other forums that seem to feed on it--not SP!!

CAB

Easy there CJC. Everyone has the right to their own opinion although it was expressed a little harsh maybe also and the Tx. ref. was outta line, it has sparked up some feelings. BTW, doesn't every other breed have their own top producer's that we are all trying to catch up with. I agree, that if you can't be happy for others and with what you are achieving, find something that you can be happy  doing. Life's too short to waste time thinking about how good everyone else is doing. Go out and try to find something that makes you the happiest that you can be. I always tell my kids that if you don't like what you're doing go do something else and don't do things to make me happy, I'll be happiest if you can find something that you love to do and makes you happy. Brent C.

common sense

I feel that any great enterprise thrives from competition and the stiffer the competition the better.  Look at the business world around you.  Do you think that if Nike was the only company making tennis shoes that they would be where they are today?  Nothing thrives without competition. Heck, even our livestock need competition.  Mine always seem to feed better when they have somebody at the bunk with them competing over the pile of feed. 

I have been in the cattle business a lot of years and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the good stewards of livestock genetics that actively work to build a better "product".  Granted some people don't have those goals in mind but without a doubt the entire Sullivan family has always had that in mind. Years ago they did great things for the Simmental breed and then followed by building one of the most powerful herds of Limousine cattle in the nation.  The fact that those breeds have fallen in and out of popularity doesn't mean that the Sullivans have tainted them in any way.  Do you see anybody showing fullblood Chianina's anymore?  You have to look at the cattle business as something more than a hobby or a romantic lifestye  if you are a serious breeder.  It is a business and should be treated as such.  If it makes good business sense to liquidate and focus on another business then a good business man will do so.  I would venture to guess that if you were to look at John Sullivan's bottom line that you could deduce that he has some business sense and the he is running his cattle operation as a business. The Sullivan's are passionate about their cattle and their cattle business.  That's what makes them so successful as well.

None of us want to stand at the bottom of a class very often, none of us like to deal with politics in the show ring, none of us like jealousy but it's a common everyday happening.  Somebody is always going to be last, there will always be politics and it's just human nature to feel jealous but if we are going to participate in anything in life we are going to have to learn how to deal with it.  Those that are willing to work and try to better themselves will find their place at the top.  Others will just be happy to follow along like sheep and enjoy where they are in life and what they have.  That doesn't make them bad people.  It's the people that don't do anything to try and make improvments and build their "business" and do nothing but complain and try to degrade those that have worked their way up that need to face themselves in the mirror each morning and try to decide what it is they really want.

Ruebush Shorthorns

I have personally seen a sullivans heifer be beat by heifers that were probably a 1/4 the cost of this heifer.  Yeah they won some with her but I also saw a judge put her 4th in a class.  We must remeber that the judges pick the winners and one week you could win it all and the next you might not make it out of the class.  I personally would love to get my hands on a Sullivans heifer, but can't quite afford that type of financial strain now.  So until that time comes I will have to make do with what I raise or with what we can afford.  I am on the east coast so I don't run into many Sullivan heifers in the show rings over here so maybe it dosn't affect me as much as someone who is in the midwest.  Maybe we will be able to get one before my siblings are out of school and have some fun with one of those awesome shorthorn plus blue roan calves.

Show Heifer

First off, the limi breed isn't dead.
I was involved in the limis when sullivans were "in it". They were beat before, and finally the limi breeders stepped up, pushed back and competed back! Plus they quit giving them money to compete with by going to "other sources" for their show supplies.
That being said, I have nothing against sullivans....I think they have the same "issues" that other big breeders have and that being said, everyone still stands in line to write them very big checks. Good for them!! Wish I could do it!

Ruebush Shorthorns

By the way, I was at Teets Farm sale last weekend and the Sullivan's bought their Sonny X Max Rosa heifer for $21,000. It was a phone bid and everyone was wondering what was going on and who it was.  Then when she sold they said John Sullivan everyone started looking around at each other and chattering about how no wonder the price was that high.  She was a full sib to the 2007 Denver reserve champion heifer.  Then the other full sib sold but was 2 months younger and she brought $3,000.  Wish I would of had some free cash I would have bid on her and hoped she would bloom in the next few months.

feeder duck

WOW! I will say without a doubt John  knows cattle better than most. As for money, I've been in this breed long enough to see lots of money come and go. My next comment is in no way to all you na sayers directed at Sullivans. If anyone thinks there is not high end politics in the shorthorn breed or any other you are clueless.Very Clueless or you would not know a good one if it pooped on you. I am all for good ones, but at least sometimes they could find the right good one. It seems the entire show cattle world revolves around about 20 major judges. NO I AM NOT JEALOUS!!!!!!So do not go there. We have had our share of success and yes I am proud of it.  Yes we are one of those firms that have always considered ourselves steer people.We will continue in that direction. Yes our pedigrees may not be mainstream. Do I care, NO!!!!! We do what we do and at some point it will pay off. Everything goes in cycles, the object is to be ahead or start one of the cycles.

Jeff Cornell

PS Yes I used a Sullivan bull this year. Final Solution. Did he work? I have one really nice heifer that I think may be as "breeder'" as anything we have ever shown. She will come on later out of one our lead D.Stuff steer donors. Will I take on the world showin her, NO! I pick and choose my battles!!!!!

Joe Boy

I have known the Sullivan's a long time.  I have watched them grow.  They have repaired my equipment when I was showing.  They have helped me with supplies.   

I have some families that I never beat in the show ring, but that never kept me from trying.  I have taken a man out for lunch at Fort Worth during the stock show and congratulated him, but I never beat him.  He is not my enemy because he had a better animal.

While I was in high school I qualified for the state regional track meet.  My best friend did too.  Our roommates were two guys from two other schools in our district and our coaches shared the room next door.  They were not our enemies because they were our opponents.  The four of us did well enough at Regional that had we been teammates we would have won the meet.  All of us were seniors and knew each other real well.  We were not friends, but we respected each other very much.

I respect the Sullivan's for what they have done.  I am proud of what they have accomplished.