old shoe

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Very well said Joe Boy!!  That is what it is all about. You are exactly right in that you can compete with another person and yet be proud of their accomplishments.

red

I think Sullivan's would be a positive influence to any breed. They'll bring competition & maybe introduce some new bulls.

Red

aj

I am hopefull that the leaders will develop a bull that doesn't throw 110# calves so us lower level breeders can use him also.

red

Just also as a FYI, Sullivan's are lurkers here. Hopefully someday they'll become an offical member! I think you'd be shocked at who some of the lurkers are.

Red

Malinda

Well, when this topic was first started I thought long and hard about posting but decided I better stay out of it. But, since it just refuses to die I'm in.

I have been beaten by good cattle and I have been beaten by politics. I have won some I earned and won some I got away with. But I know this, in the long run it does not matter. I am 58 years old and couldn't begin to tell you what my 4-H steer did in 1966 or what a heifer I raised did in 1990. When it happens it seem like a big deal, but trust me it isn't. When I was in 4-H I was bragging to my Dad one day about how great my steer looked and I was gonna kick butt. He taught me to never judge my cattle by looking at my own cattle. He said you don't know what everyone else has, so be careful about getting your hopes up. I think a lot of people think that just because they give big money for a calf they will automatically win, or just because your calf is out of xyz bull he is a shoe in. I've worked my fanny off on hair and all that and still been left in the dust. The best thing I ever taught myself was this.....after the show I lie in bed at night and ask myself if I did the best job I could of getting my calf ready. If the answer is yes, roll over and go to sleep and don't get mad at the people that beat you. All you have to know is if YOU DID THE BEST YOU COULD DO.

It is easy to get mad at the big players and blame everything that has ever happened to you on them. But, have you ever spoken to them? Have you gotten to know them? You do not have to buy a big priced heifer to talk to them. Just walk up and say my name is.... Find out their phone number and call them. I bet they won't hang up on you. It is easy to throw stones at people you do not know.

The only time I have ever done business with John Sullivan is when he bought some semen from me. But, I did one day walk up to him and introduce my self. I saw him at Cates sale this year and  congratulated him on his heifers being grand and reserve at Junior Nationals. Know what he said? He wasn't smug, high headed or a jerk. He thanked me for the compliment and said: "I was thinking before the final drive that it was too bad you weren't there because I thought your heifer might win it."  He did not have to say that to me. He could have said thanks and walked away. Maybe if you GET TO KNOW PEOPLE you will understand them.

When I was a teen we were at Bob Evans farm at a Charolais get together. My Dad told me to walk up and in troduse myself to Bob Evans. Well I of course was bashful and did not want to charge up to THE Bob Evans. My Dad flat out said we were not going home until I did introduce myself. I found out he did not bite and was a very nice man. He spoke to me every time I saw him after that. I saw him in the 1990's at the Fairfield County Fair (maybe 25 years after I introduced myself) and he still remembered my name. So, get off your butt, introduce yourself to these people you do not know but are jealous of and maybe they can teach you something about the cattle business.

Jealousy, taking pot shots and hate for someone you do not know is for the belly crawlers of the world. It is especially easy to do hiding on a board.

I have always said it is not how many cattle you own it is which ones. Maybe someone just needs to teach you how to make the most of what you have. I bought a cow a few years ago and gave $8400 for her. She was raising $1000 to $1250 calves every year but I figured at that rate she would have to live to be 50 to make me any money. When she was 10 I put an embryo in her.....she had a heifer calf that paid for her in full and went on to be a division winner at junior nationals. I have a cow I gave $4000 for and she has had 3 hard doing bull calves out of 3 different bulls. I did not blame it on the guys that raised the bulls...it is the cow. I have not called the man I bought the cow from to bitch because it is MY business to figure out how to make her make money. She now has an embryo in her. So, clean your own business up before you rant on someone else. If you can't compete maybe, just maybe, it is YOUR fault.

If you want to see me get beat and get my 'come upins' come to Louisville and see the bull I refuse to get fat.

Well, that should be enough said to piss a bunch of you off. That is not my intention but I know how it goes.

Have a nice day everyone and I honestly wish you all great success.

Malinda

BIGTEX

I showed Limousin cattle in the '80's and don't remember Sullivans killing the breed. Maybe I missed something. Express Ranches has a large Limousin herd today. Explain, how did Sullivans kill the Limousin Breed?

ELBEE

Malinda,

Two of the many simple pleasures in life I enjoy are.

1; Interacting with so called (players) at the majors. (All of which put their boots on the same as me. I've found it's MY attitude that's reflected by them.) Watching the energy, pride, and resources they put into their programs.

2; Listening to a judge give more reasoning why he didn't use my animal over the one he did!

Lee

CAB

Very well said Malinda. Just to add to your thoughts about not remembering the calves, it's the people that I miss and wonder about when I'm @ a show. I miss the fellowship and friends that we make along the path. Brent

afhm

Just because you buy something from the show supply don't assume that the money goes staright to the cowherd.  There are alot of salaries to pay, as well as all kinds of bills for advertising, product research, etc... 

inthebarnagain

So what were they spend their money when you buy supplies.  If that is a problem, then think about this, when some people pay for electricity, some of the money goes to my cowherd!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hubby works for OVEC, which supplies electricity to lots of places!

Malinda

The people you get to meet, the friends, family sharing and memories is what it is all about. I agree CAB.

I would like to share what has become my favorite all time fair memory.

One year two sisters showed up at our county fair with the two worst steers I had ever seen at our fair. Now, back then our show was one of the biggest around and we started at 8:00 and didn't finish until evening. No one had ever seen those two girls before so of course no one was talking to them. They had no buckets, no combs, brushes, no show halters and I never saw their parents. You could tell they were embarrassed and wished they were anywhere but the Franklin County Fair.

I finally went over and started talking with them. I took them some brushes, combs, etc and brought in some feed tubs from home. I got the clippers out and clipped their calves as best I could. Keep in mind this has been so long ago I had never seen a grooming chute or a blower.

Well, the fair ended....and I do not remember how I did that year! I never saw those sisters again and forgot about the whole thing.

About 6 or 8 years ago I was at the Ohio State Fair in the food court that has beef, pork, lamb and chicken all in one place. I took my seat and a lady approached my table. She said she was one of the sisters I had helped at the fair so many years ago. She asked me to come over to her table and meet her family. Her sister, their daughters and their grandchildren were seated at a very big table. She introduced me to everyone and said to the grand kids: "This is the lady we have been telling you about that helped us at the fair.". She said they had told their daughters about me and the daughters had taught the lesson to their kids.

My doing something as simple as sharing a few show supplies  has become a family's way of teaching their next generation some life lessons. Go figure.

What do you think is what I consider to be the best gift (other than life and love) that my parents ever gave me? A stamp collecting album. It was the best because I know how they had to sacrifice to give it to me. They drove into the local "Five and Dime' discount store and my Mom went in to see how much it cost. Back in the car Mom and Dad figured out that with the tax they were two pennies short. They took the back seat of the car out right there in the parking lot and there were two pennies behind the seat.

I do believe in a God that works in many ways.

Don't fall over the pebbles folks. It is the little things. Maybe a redefinition of the big players and competition is in order. Memories start out as a dream.

Well, enough of my boring philosophy.

Have a good day everyone,

Malinda

CAB

Great story & memory for you Malinda and thanks for sharing it with all of us. <party> <party> (clapping) (clapping). Sincerely, Brent

justintime

Malinda.... Thanks again for reminding us about what are the really important things in life. The story you told is a wonderful memory and thanks for sharing it with us. With many of our shows becoming so super competitive these days, it is good to read a story like this. Thanks again!