One and Only

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

I saw him @ Nichols not too long ago. He is sound & I would call him moderate for frame. He doesn't have as much bone as a carrier would have possibly, but sure has enough. I like the bull. That day the 2 bulls that I liked to best best were him & Stands Alone. I did go through both Nichols & Hawkeye that day. 

Jay has a couple of nice SM bulls to look @ if you get to the Nichols stud. Mo Town, calving ease bull & JS Burning Up. JMO.

Alpha

i guess the reason im asking is i was thinking of breeding him to a few angus cows that look like they came out of Kirk Duffs herd, and they are bred like it to. i think i you could get some cool looking heifers that look very maternal. then you could breed back to a carrier.

CAB

This is just me thinking outloud on the keyboard. If you have Duff looking/bred type of cows, I would rather go for it or breed Simi, or Simi/Angus to get the better female rather than take a chance on a Heat Wave sired bull to make a better cow. That's just me though.

jbw

I have heard that he looks alot like Power to Change, woudn't he be a better choice?  Should be better females.

Alpha

idk i was just thinking about it ... i just love looking at baldy cows that have power and maternal look all over them

savaged

Pale Face is clean and might be a good compromise.  I have a PF cow that has really impressed with her first two calves, both brockle faced.  Her first calf is the one in my avatar.

jbw

It would probably be a good idea for somebody to get sexed semen on Pale Face before its to late! [In case you missed that it was a hint JBH]    I will see One and Only this week. I haven't seen Walks Alone in person and I used him, usually don't like to use unproven bulls that I haven't seen but I SAMPLED a little.

CAB

Walks Alone is @ Nichols right now & if you're in the area you should go in and see him. A bull that you may also want to consider looking @ is Cottonmouth. I don't know how he stacks up maternally & have not seen him in person, but many have and say that he is the best bull that they have ever seen bar none. He looks like he should make them stout and soggy. He should put a white face on almost everything that he breeds. I don't know his percentages of breeds. He is listed as a three way cross bull. Top Sires has him on sale this month for $18.

Noticed that N-Charge & Tycoon are battling it out pricewise also.

jbw

Are there very many of the "newbies" @  Jay's?

CAB

Jay is pretty full. There are quite a few new ones and some older ones also. Hamley was in along with Pt. Taken, Burning up, Climax, Mo Town, Pride & Glory, Stands Alone, Walks Alone, a couple of new STF Simis, The One & Only.
  Pretty much the same @ Hawkeye. Thriller, Turn On, 4 HW Clones 6 & 8 + 2 not #ed yet, Alias, Tiny Tin, Semex's bull, Duff Generator, Eyes On The Money, too many for an old man to remember. Worth going to take a look if you can make time while going to the Expo.

afhm

CAB said:
Jay is pretty full. There are quite a few new ones and some older ones also. Hamley was in along with Pt. Taken, Burning up, Climax, Mo Town, Pride & Glory, Stands Alone, Walks Alone, a couple of new STF Simis, The One & Only.
  Pretty much the same @ Hawkeye. Thriller, Turn On, 4 HW Clones 6 & 8 + 2 not #ed yet, Alias, Tiny Tin, Semex's bull, Duff Generator, Eyes On The Money, too many for an old man to remember. Worth going to take a look if you can make time while going to the Expo.
Did you happen to snap any pics that you be willing to share with us?

CAB

No I just wanted to get a quick look at what was in B4 we went to BKCC's sale. I don't carry a camera around. Might have to start. I'm sure that I will get through both studs a few more times B4 breeding season. Like to see the bulls that we use in person if possible anymore. Too much photoshopping not to. JMO.

CAB

HFF, Pride & Glory looks good. I would call him a complete sound bull that should make some good females. I like all 4 of the flushmates that came out last year. I have seen all 4 bulls & I would say that they are all complete and sound. There are some little differences in frame, but all similar and nothing freaky about any of the 4. MO

Sundy

CAB I would agree with the differences in frame of the 4 flushmates. Our bull is definitely the largest framed of the 4. You should come look at him now because if you were impressed with Pride and Glory at the stud recently I think you will be really pleased with how our bull has matured out. We should get a decent test on calves this spring because we did sell some semen and are expecting 50 to 70 calves depending on conception rates. So, I am anxious to see how they look.

KMJCC

I have seen some nice Maximus heifers out of some nice angus cows.  They have had cows writen all over them from a very early age.  Plus you could get your baldy.  That is if you can get semen.

CAB

Sundy said:
CAB I would agree with the differences in frame of the 4 flushmates. Our bull is definitely the largest framed of the 4. You should come look at him now because if you were impressed with Pride and Glory at the stud recently I think you will be really pleased with how our bull has matured out. We should get a decent test on calves this spring because we did sell some semen and are expecting 50 to 70 calves depending on conception rates. So, I am anxious to see how they look.

Sundy I was looking for some info on another bull this morning and ran across this old thread. What is your assessment of the calves by now out of your bull? Brent

farwest

While on subject what bull is an extreme downsizer. I mean borderline dink thrower with soundness.

OH Breeder

I would think Climax a triple bred Meyer on those Angus cows for future clubbies would be the way to go. I have seen so many Heat Wave Meyer cross's that are sooo cool. We had a really nice HW x Meyer steer. Not a terrible amount of bone but great hair and muscle.

vet tech

Yellow jacket and troubadour. They work best on them ground sow angus females