Open Sores

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

I had noticed one of my cows had an open sore below the tail and just above the anus (not directly above but off to the side a little that you can see when they have their tail down) a couple day ago and now last night I noticed 10 of my cows and 2 heifer calves all had the same sores in the same place. Is this worms or another parasite? I put a pour on on them all back in the middle to late July. It is starting to get cold here now, had snow the past 2 nights. If it is worms, will the cold weather kill it off or not? My vet is closed on the weekend and will call him on Monday unless it is an emergency I could call him now but don't see this as an emergency. All cows are in good shape. If it is worms, I think I'm going to give them an injection, tired of this pour on.  The sores are about the size of a nickel to a quarter size, a little blood but not much.

DL

Big M Show Cattle said:
I had noticed one of my cows had an open sore below the tail and just above the anus (not directly above but off to the side a little that you can see when they have their tail down) a couple day ago and now last night I noticed 10 of my cows and 2 heifer calves all had the same sores in the same place. Is this worms or another parasite? I put a pour on on them all back in the middle to late July. It is starting to get cold here now, had snow the past 2 nights. If it is worms, will the cold weather kill it off or not? My vet is closed on the weekend and will call him on Monday unless it is an emergency I could call him now but don't see this as an emergency. All cows are in good shape. If it is worms, I think I'm going to give them an injection, tired of this pour on.  The sores are about the size of a nickel to a quarter size, a little blood but not much.

In our neck of the woods that would be fly bites - they seem to prefer the tail fold area - if you get one in to look at and feel and it is crusty and scabby chances are it's fly bites - if they have something to rub on they rub the scabs off and it can look raw

firesweepranch

Ditto what DL said. We use IGR in our mineral, and did a pour on about 4 weeks ago, but our cows still get the sores there. I think it is a little deer fly that bites them there, at least that is what I see there often. The cows love it when you rub it or scratch it for them.

Mueller Show Cattle

Thanks, DL and Firesweep. I got them in the corral today and got a better look, some are crusted over. We just started getting cold weather in the last 4 days were it has been getting below freezing at night (mid to upper 20's tonight) and got some snow the past 2 nights. I have not seen any flies today in the barn, so I think we are done with flies till next year which is good cause flies were really bad for us this summer. So I will watch them and make sure they are healing up, would have never guessed fly bites. Anything to do for that if I come across that next summer? I gave mineral this summer with fly control which seamed to help but still had plenty of flies to go around, we also used a rope back rub that is soaked with a pesticide that gets on their back when they walk under which I put so they have to go under to go to feed, but that does not get under their tail, dang flies. Thanks again.