Opinion on defect carriers

Help Support Steer Planet:

JbarL

i think most of yoiu know my opinions i have expessed before......what would a cowboy do.....???
  if we let our brains reoginze the problem and our heart direct our solution....then our true intent will
be known..... with the same  brain information avaliabel ......some will have the heart of a cowboy and some will have the heart of a used car salesman....operationg within those peramiters.....those wtih the heart of a cowboy will end up dealing with other cowboys and those with the heart of a used car salesman will end up dealing with each other......i really want to thank dl and red  and all the particapants in this topic for the info they have supplied to me , and doing  the " brain"  side of thiss issue for me....my hearts stickin with the cowboys.....jbarl

CAB

Do either the ASA or the Maine Anjou Ass. require clean tests to participate @ their major shows. I think that would be a good start to clean things up & help the image of the breed. That to me is a no brainer & is probably already in place hopefully. Cab

Gypsy

CAB - I'm not sure about the ASA but the AMAA does NOT require a clean PHA test to participate @ their major (or minor) shows.  It has been suggested to the AMAA that it would help clean things up and help the image of the breed.  To me also it is a no brainer but the board of the AMAA is apparently on a different brain wave length than you and I.  Too bad.  ???

OH Breeder

CAB said:
   Do either the ASA or the Maine Anjou Ass. require clean tests to participate @ their major shows. I think that would be a good start to clean things up & help the image of the breed. That to me is a no brainer & is probably already in place hopefully. Cab
If I remember right, ASA sanctioned sales must be TH free. THink. IF I remember the rules right.

DL

CAB said:
[size=10pt]
Last I knew (and there are the Shorthorn guys out there who know more!) and this was before Sherman Berg left or resigned or whatever (anybody know anything about that?) the ASA was requiring negative TH tests for all sanctioned sales (maybe Rhonda can help me with the specifics) - interestingly and as alluded to previously they are not requireing PHA testing ...enough of that!

The AMAA said they were going to require testing but not test negative.

I have heard that many sales/expos were not requiring testing and that people were dumping their carriers on the "unsuspecting" buyers - this would certainly fall under both slime and buyer beware

The Ohio Expo Maine Sale - to their credit was the first to require both TH and PHA testing for all Maine cattle and the results were the first thing announced for each animal from the block - I think they need a Galaxy Award - althought a vocal woman (no it wasn't me and it wasn't red either) wanted to require negative tests but was voted down. There are  Ohio breeders who had heavily promoted carriers who were not in favor of that - maybe next year!!
[/size]

Jill

• All cattle consigned to ASA sanctioned sales (NAILE “Heifer Calf Futurity” and NWSS “People`s Choice Bull Sale”) must be tested genetic defect free and parentally verified.

This is the only thing I find on the ASA website, don't see anything about shows.  I don't see anything in the AMAA policy about show or sales, but I know they stated that if the test was ready in time all animals consigned at Denver would need to be tested.

DL

That is what I heard....(thru the grapevine)  (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog)

don't ya know that I hear dit thru the grapevine, how much longer will ya be mine ...ASA didn't sing it - who did?

sjcattleco

sherman berg was just a temp.... more of an office manager from what I understand..... I know both Elbee and I hope Nick Hammett gets the job!!! 

DL

aj said:
Credence Clearwater revival did it I think. Remember the dancing raisins? :-*

Oh yeah the Raisins could dance!

Does Nick want the job?

sjcattleco

I guess Nick will take the job is he gets to stay in Missouri and does not have to actually move to Omaha.... I think Peggy can run the office!

Hey this is 2007 we have cell phones PDAs and the internet.. why would Nick need to be in Omaha all the time?  He would do more good out of the office anyway.

DL

sjcattleco said:
I guess Nick will take the job is he gets to stay in Missouri and does not have to actually move to Omaha.... I think Peggy can run the office!

Hey this is 2007 we have cell phones PDAs and the internet.. why would Nick need to be in Omaha all the time?  He would do more good out of the office anyway.

true but what does the mafia say?

aj

I really like Nick. He would be in charge of a "big tent". I'm not a smart man but I think Cagwin should cut ties with the Shorthorn Country. He has alot of leverage when he is involved in the breeds magazine, consulting, and his breeding interests. Is there any other breed where a promoter is involved with the breeds national magazine? Maybe there is. Maybe nobody else wants to mess with it(the magazine). Maybe we are lucky to have him at the helm I don't know. Maybe everybody get together and try to love one another right now. Right now. :-*

red

The Maines used to have Ken McCune run most of their sales & also the Voice magizine. That didn't last real long.

Red

Telos

aj said:
I really like Nick. He would be in charge of a "big tent". I'm not a smart man but I think Cagwin should cut ties with the Shorthorn Country. He has alot of leverage when he is involved in the breeds magazine, consulting, and his breeding interests. Is there any other breed where a promoter is involved with the breeds national magazine? Maybe there is. Maybe nobody else wants to mess with it(the magazine). Maybe we are lucky to have him at the helm I don't know. Maybe everybody get together and try to love one another right now. Right now. :-*

The Shorthorn Assoc. perhaps needs a Saint to come down from Heaven for everybody to get together and love one another. That's a hard job. I would not wish that position on my worst enemy.

AJ, that song is called "Get Together" performed by the Youngbloods in 1963.  Oh, Im sorry, forgot this wasn't the name that song thread.  (lol)

DL

Telos said:
aj said:

The Shorthorn Assoc. perhaps needs a Saint to come down from Heaven for everybody to get together and love one another. That's a hard job. I would not wish that position on my worst enemy.

AJ, that song is called "Get Together" performed by the Youngbloods in 1963.  Oh, Im sorry, forgot this wasn't the name that song thread.  (lol)

It was my understanding that there were 2 things that came to the fore on the recent survey sent to ASA members ---- one that the magazine should be under control of someone other than Cagwin and the 2nd that ASA employees should not be showing other breeds of cattle at national shows

how about "We are the world"
see a billion raisins holding coke cans singing...

woops I guess that was I'd like to do something with the world....

how about Saint Telos??

Latest posts