Opinions please...

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

I'm having a debate with a few board members/former board members about purebred cattle & was seeking opinions. 

The Lowlines currently have 2 seperate registries...  Fullblood & Percentage.

I don't know of a single breed where a percentage or purebred can ever become a fullblood, and nobody wants that to happen in the Lowline breed either.  I'm firmly against letting anything except fullbloods into our fullblood herdbook.  That is not the problem.

The problem is with our percentage herdbook.  We currently register 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 & purebred.  Nothing in concrete, but we may begin to register, but probably not show 1/4 & 3/8 blood Lowlines (except maybe steers).  I'm fine will all that.  I like it actually & think it will help our breed gain even more commercial acceptance. 

What I have a problem with is this...  The ALR calls all 7/8 animals "purebred", but when it comes time to register the calves out of those "purebreds", the purebreds are calculated as 7/8.  In other words, a purebred bull would be siring registered 3/8  calves out of commercial cows, not 1/2 bloods like most breeds including Maines, Shorthorns, Simmental, etc.  Does anyone else see a problem with that?  I do for obvious reasons...  no other breed does it that way.  I also don't like calling an animal a "purebred" (which means it's pure) for marketing, but then calling it a 7/8 when it's time to register the calf.  To me the ALR either needs to call the 7/8 animals something besides purebreds or they need to follow the protocal that all the other breeds use. 

Am I right for thinking the way that I do?  Am I wrong?  Opinions please! 

Thanks in advance for your replies! 
TJ

Jill

If they only register as 7/8, they need to be 7/8, I agree.  To be real honest, I have never understood why a 7/8 is a purebred.

TJ

Jill said:
If they only register as 7/8, they need to be 7/8, I agree.  To be real honest, I have never understood why a 7/8 is a purebred.

Thanks Jill!  I probably prefer that they were called 7/8 & also register as 7/8.  Count me in as one who isn't overly crazy about 7/8 being a purebred.  Tarentaise purebreds are 15/16, which I think is more realistic.  But, I can be OK with calling a 7/8 purebred as long as they register like a all the other purebreds in other breeds.  My big problem is trying to have it both ways... calling it one thing, but doing another. 

BIGTEX, I think you are correct.  I know 7/8 is a purebred in several breeds.  But, once they become purebreds, they are calculated as 100% in ever breed besides Lowline that I am aware of.