Our ad in the SC

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

Here is our ad in the the Shorthorn Country this month.. I thought Tracy did a nice job!

Attachments

• S&J Cattle.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 241

DL

Nice ad - very appropriate for the 4th  ;D

sjcattleco

Thank you!!

I thought that the July ad done in Red White and Blue would be good.... she also promised me that she would not do anyone elses that way unless they asked her to.... Now I hope the ad expense at least breaks even!!!!

austin

Very appealing!

like the muscle car, colors....all very american...NICE JOB

red

Wow! You & Shortdawg in same issue! Great eye appeal. Very catching.

Red (clapping)

ELBEE

Cool ad Scott! I could'a loaned you a pic. of my "68" Mustang Fastback  ;D!

Have some received they're SC's yet? We haven't.

red

Afhm- SC as in Shorthorn Country Journal

Hope they put it on line soon. April is the last issue they have uploaded.

Red

justintime

I have heard from a few people that have received the Herd reference SC. Some of them live a lot further from Omaha that you do Elbee. Don't ya love the way the postal system works? Last year, I received calls from Australia, two days after the magazine was mailed in Omaha. It took almost three more weeks for mine to arrive. After that, I splurged and bought a first class subscription.

To Scott, I am a great believer in advertising. I am sure your ad will pay for itself. The only problem is that you are never 100% sure when the advertising will pay dividends and it has a lifespan much longer than most realize. A few months ago, I sold a bull to a guy who lived about 200 miles from me. I asked him if he had seen our ad in our local farm paper, and he said he hadn't. He said he was given a bunch of old cattle magazines by a neighbour who was retiring, and he had seen one of our ads. He actually had the magazine on the dash of his truck and I was very surprised when he handed me a 1980 issue. A few years ago, I received a phone call from a guy in Texas asking if we had any Maine cross steers for sale. I asked him where he had got our name and he had seen our ad in the 1982 SC. I dug out my copy and we had a very small ad... and along the bottom of the ad, in very small print, it read " we also have Maine cross steers for sale".
I consider advertising in the same way I think of fertilizers and other inputs required to grow a crop. I do not grain farm, so my crop is my cattle. It is really hard to sell them, if nobody knows what you've got.
A few years ago the late Mark Graham Sr, of Graham Land and Livestock, Waverly, MN told me that after advertising Ayatollah semen in every issue of SC for more than 2 years, they decided to only advertise in alternating issues. After a few months their sales records showed that they sold semen almost entirely in the months in which the ads were ran, and sale dropped to almost nothing in the other months. Despite everyone, knowing that they had Ayatollah semen for sale, they still needed to be reminded on a virtually constant basis. That says alot about human nature. Personally, I have more than doubled my advertising in the past 3 years, and have even run ads in British and Australian breed journals. Since I did this I have sold over 100 embryos to Britain and have sold embryos and several hundred doses of semen to Australia.My advertising has paid for itself over and over again.  Don't ever forget that the world is your marketplace especially in this day, when you can have a tank delivered to almost any part of the world in a few hours. One of the keys to successful advertising is having good pictures and a good product. You have a good picture of your bull Scott, but don't stop there. If you don't have a good digital camera, get one... and carry it with you when you are checking your cattle. Keep taking pictures and never be content with just one good one....and never ever use a picture that you feel  does not show your animal at it's best. This will definitely pay dividends. I was lucky to get a great picture of one of my donor cows. That picture has resulted in over $60,000 in embryo sales to people who have never seen her. She is a very good cow, and she is an exceptional producer, but this picture does the selling.I better get to the hay field!!

genes

justintime said:
He said he was given a bunch of old cattle magazines by a neighbour who was retiring, and he had seen one of our ads. He actually had the magazine on the dash of his truck and I was very surprised when he handed me a 1980 issue. A few years ago, I received a phone call from a guy in Texas asking if we had any Maine cross steers for sale. I asked him where he had got our name and he had seen our ad in the 1982 SC. I dug out my copy and we had a very small ad... and along the bottom of the ad, in very small print, it read " we also have Maine cross steers for sale".

It's true some people are such packrats!  I have over 10 years worth of every cattle magazine and catalog that has come to my house (and I'm only 22).  I haven't gotten to the point of calling people up on old ads, but it's definitely where a lot of name recognition comes from.

AAOK

ELBEE said:
Cool ad Scott! I could'a loaned you a pic. of my "68" Mustang Fastback  ;D!

Have some received they're SC's yet? We haven't.

I want to know more about the "68" Fastback 'Stang.  I have a "69" that looks good, but really needs a lot of work.  I've been trying to figure out restoration on a budget.  I really don't have the place, the time, or skills to do much myself.  Any tips?

Jill

Did you get your cattle sold?  We missed you at Jr. Nationals, didn't know if you made it or not.

Show Heifer

Nice ad! And I still think a nice bull!!!
He is definately on my "consider hard" list for next year!!!

red

business cards are another valuable tool that don't cost a lot. I've had people call me 5 years later from a business card they recieved at a show. Sometimes that's been our best advertizing.
I make my own, so I can change & adapt them to fit the needs of what we have.

Red