120.9 KB · Views: 522
  • WMW Heifer Rear.jpg
    WMW Heifer Rear.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 517
  • WMW and calf.jpg
    WMW and calf.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 492

Telos

Ohio Breeder, I think you "Out Bred Yourself" on these two calves... I will be planning a trip to Ohio this summer. Have you priced them yet?

red

Telos said:
Ohio Breeder, I think you "Out Bred Yourself" on these two calves... I will be planning a trip to Ohio this summer. Have you priced them yet?

Telos- if you're coming to see OH B, you better make a stop here too!

Red

RSC

OH Breeder said:
FIRST GOT TO GET RID OF THIS MUD :mad:

Bull Calf
Dam; Hardings Glitter x Kadabara
Sire: Who Da Man

Heifer
Dam: WMW
Sire: 3C Macho
Nice calves!  How long ago did you take them pictures, looks like it's still pretty muddy in Ohio?

RSC

justintime

The calves look super!  I wish we had some of your mud. In this country, they say that you need to have enough mud in the spring that you seriously contemplate selling the cows.... or you won't have a great year for pastures or haycrops. All I know is that mud trumps dust 10 times out of 10. I would gladly trade you some of our dust for your mud. It is very dry here... again. No runnoff from winter snow.
We were like this last year and we received good rains in May and June which gave us pastures and hay , but it has been extremely dry here since early July 07. I am starting to get tired of looking at the sky for a few clouds!

OH Breeder

justintime said:
The calves look super!  I wish we had some of your mud. In this country, they say that you need to have enough mud in the spring that you seriously contemplate selling the cows.... or you won't have a great year for pastures or haycrops. All I know is that mud trumps dust 10 times out of 10. I would gladly trade you some of our dust for your mud. It is very dry here... again. No runnoff from winter snow.
We were like this last year and we received good rains in May and June which gave us pastures and hay , but it has been extremely dry here since early July 07. I am starting to get tired of looking at the sky for a few clouds!

THis is how bad it was. Yesterday I spent the entire after noon with a cow at Ohio State University Emergency Room. Couple of the cows have already came back into heat. One was riding her and the mud is up to there knees. I figure or think that when she went forward she struck her leg so hard on a rock it tore the flesh to the bone. Initally it looked like an open fracture and I was sicken by this. But, after a series of xrays and aggressive debreedment it was a horrible lasceration. I don't know what to do about the mud. You can't get to it to dump stone and the creeks around are so full it is not going anywhere. I have tried mulch and wood chips to help absorb it but that doesn't last. I also have tried straw and more straw and more straw. So, we had a 60 day yesterday and no rain suppose to be the same today. Hoping for some relief. No one can get in the fields as well. Part of my hay field looks as though it may not come on becz of the water standing. So. We will see.

Thanks forthe compliments on the babies. My first time using 3C Macho and Who Da Man will use again.

oakbar

Nice calves!!  The top one reminds me of the WMW we have this year out of a shorthorn heifer.  Lots of bone and hair!!

justme

We've had bad mud here in NW MO too.  My husband has been unrolling cornstalks for the cows and calves.  They eat it, and it makes a nice place for the calves to lie down.  I was surprised how much they helped

knabe

i throw all my garden corn stalks while green in and they eat them voraciously looking for the odd ear.  probably the only thing they get more excited over is grape trimmings.  i had a friend in college who lived next to a winery, and they used to make silage out of it.

red

here are some of my babies.
The first one is my money Man out of Rosie.
Next is a Hard Core
the 3rd is a foreplay bull
the 4th is just some of the calves. Note the calf's butt is the Hard core heifer

Attachments

• 100_1926.jpg
    100_1926.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_1938.jpg
    100_1938.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1929.jpg
    100_1929.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_1927.jpg
    100_1927.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 293

shortyjock89

That Hard Core heifer is my pick.  I really think shes gonna be super stout and a nice heifer.  What is her mother's breeding?

red

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
That Hard Core heifer is my pick.  I really think shes gonna be super stout and a nice heifer.  What is her mother's breeding?

She is out of a cow we raised. She's an Iceman out of my Foreplay tank. Thanks, I think she might be the best we've raised. The Money Man looks like one that will come on later. She is the most feminine Rosie's had. Very clean fronted & great wheels under her.

Red