Our UGLY calve, is there hope for him?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

This is our ugly little calf named, Oddball. His hair is 2 different textures as you can see in the pictures. The white hair is long and soft and his grey hair is curly and course. His tail always looks like it has been clipped. And to top things off he is kind of runty, but he is the sweetest calf and of course all the kids love him. Do you think there is hope for him in his future to be a show steer, of course I know he will never be a competitive show steer but do you think he will out grow this ugly look?

Attachments

• Bonnie, Oddball, and Olivia 013a.JPG
    Bonnie, Oddball, and Olivia 013a.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Bonnie, Oddball, and Olivia 022a.JPG
    Bonnie, Oddball, and Olivia 022a.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 376

DL

Actually I think he is adorable (cute is big in my book; adorable is pretty much equivalent to cute) - if he is nice and the kids love him show him and have a great time - He is cool and he is different! Rock on...

tackes

He's not ugly at all...He's quite adorable! And if the kids love him and his is workable why not let them see what they can do with him?

Good luck!

cpubarn

He looks fine to me.  He may not win a major, but what is your goal?  My son had a little bottle calf he dearly loved.  By the next January it was one of the ugliest cows we had ever owned.  I was a good dad, swallowed my pride and took this ugly calf to the weigh-in for the county fair return bucket calf class.  To my suprise he turned out ok, finally grew.  He was a little green for the fair, but the boy had a grand time with that steer.  He has loved cows ever since.

Attachments

• spunky__july05.jpg
    spunky__july05.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 386
  • spunky_jan06.jpg
    spunky_jan06.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 398
  • spunkyfair.jpg
    spunkyfair.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 389

genes

That's the "rat tailed" syndrome we have talked about from time to time.  He just doesn't have the actual tail because it is white.  I will tell you that the grey hair will always be a completely different texture, and usually length, than the white hair.  But a creative clip job may help that out.  If you aren't looking to win it all, but rather the experience, I say that there may be more important things than looks for sure.

justintime

Your calf looks just fine, even with all the chrome. Sometimes, these calves can surprise you and develop beyond your best expectations. I have seen many do this. Three years ago, a good producing cow I have, calved in May with a beautiful roan heifer calf. I just knew she was going to make a very good heifer from how the cow had produced in the past. I had sold 28 heifers out of that crop and this heifer was still in the group at home,and several people had the option of picking her out of the pen. I decided to show her and sell her at Agribition and she was Junior Champion female and topped the sale at $10,000. Everyone who had bought at the farm could have had her at a much lower price here. So, give him a chance and see how he comes.
Here is a question for everyone to ponder. Like this calf demonstrates, white hair is oftentimes longer and softer than red hair. This is really noticable in spotted red and white cattle. What causes this and why?

DL

justintime said:
. Like this calf demonstrates, white hair is oftentimes longer and softer than red hair. This is really noticable in spotted red and white cattle. What causes this and why?

I believe that it is either aliens or something George Bush did to the industry without consulting anyone (or an alien -Bush plot) maybe Gypsy knows 
(lol)

justintime

I am betting on a Bush/Alien conspricacy alliance. Now I know. Thanks DL for answering a question I have often wondered about. Now, I know everything.... well that may be up for debate. I can think of a bunch of people who would agree.

SKF

The hair thing is the strangest. I am guessing that came from his mother, she is out All About You and a CharX. His sire is out of BK Power Plus and a Fear This daughter. This was the heifer's first calf and his coloring surprised me. His mom is very run down after having him and she does not have much milk. We had to bring her and the calf in because she was letting every calf nurse her. He is not very aggressive about getting food if another calf comes over he steps out of the way and lets them eat. He is very small for his age, 3 months. He was about 40lbs at birth. He is starting to grow now that he his eating grain. If it wasn't for his personality I would take him to the market. He is the sweetest most lovable calf. I guess we will continue feeding him and see how he does. As long as he continues to grow we will probably take him to our county fair. My daughter and all of her friends want him. He's the underdog of the barn. 

justme

His blaze has that little twist that reminds me of "Squiggy" on Lavern and Shirley....Gahds I'm showing my age.  I think he is adorable, if your daughter likes him let her have at it.  I'm finding if my daughter likes it she tends to work harder on the calf.

OH Breeder

Personally, for a county fair project, I would much rather see a well managed and well hanlding calf then a nut case. Give this guy sometime. Maybe he is in a phase. It may pass. If the children enjoy working with him he might just work out.

genes

justintime said:
. Like this calf demonstrates, white hair is oftentimes longer and softer than red hair. This is really noticable in spotted red and white cattle. What causes this and why?

Well in this, and any calf with the rat tailed syndrome, the difference in texture is due to the fact that the grey/brown hair is actually defective (but don't worry SKF....cosmetic defect in your case is all....I think I might have some cosmetic defects too, but I survive ;D), while the white is normal.  Like apparently under a microscope, the malanocytes (pigment) is all squished and all lumped to one side, rather than evenly distributed.   

In the case of normal hair...not so sure, but I think it has to do with some kind of difference in structure or distribution or something of different colored melanocytes.  In general for humans, most blindes have finer (smaller strands) hair than brunettes, and redheads the coarsest.  In my own blonde hair there are some brown ones mixed in and they are distinctly thicker and more wiry than the blonde.  I imagine it's something similar.......or aliens.

SKF I agree with the others that a good sweetheart learner calf with some minor inperfections is way better than the picture perfect one who is rank and unpleasant to work with.

Gypsy

dragon lady said:
justintime said:

I believe that it is either aliens or something George Bush did to the industry without consulting anyone (or an alien -Bush plot) maybe Gypsy knows 
(lol)

My crystal ball has fogged over, and although there were lots of aliens spotted in the area over the last weekend the annual alien extravaganza/embarrassment has disbursed.  Thank goodness, but that has left me with no one to consult about spotted red and white cattle.  Or anything else.  So no answers from me.

afhm

Genes that doesn't look like a classical case of rat tail to me, is there more than one type?

SKF

I guess it will be interesting learning how to clip his funky hair!

DL

Earth to SKF - Lest we forget the real reason for helping our kids show calves let me suggest - let your kids have a blast, the calf is cool and easy to get along with. The parent is stressing over hair - in the scheme of the world hair on a fun calf is a nothing, nada, zip. Braid the white hair, let the dark hair fall naturally into dreadlocks and let the kids enjoy themselves and learn a few things. If your kids have fun that is all that matters.