Painting Legs on a smoke colored calf.

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

I have a 1/2 Lowline and 1/2 Commercial Char. heifer this year and I was wondering if any of you had experience with painting legs on a smokey calf.  She's colored about like the bull Tin Man, not bright white, but not yellow or gray-brown either, and she is dark skinned.  Right now the plan is to fit the legs like on a white Shorthorn calf, only maybe don't build them quite as much?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Show Heifer

Hey there!!! I think its called "trial and error"!!!

This will be night number two in  my mission to find the "perfect combination" for my red roan shorthorn. I have 5 cans of color, and so far no combinations have been "quite right", so will try again tonight!

I'll check with my "smokie friends" and see what they suggest. Might be a tough one!

shortyjock89

Yeah, it would make it easier, use white to paint and put black in lightly at the same time, but it's not allowed.  On her papers, she's registered as "white". 

cowz

There is a horse supply company called Shapleys.  They have paint in many shades.  See if they have a silver/grey.  Otherwise, I would glue, not build, if you have enough hair to work with.  JMHO ;)

shortyjock89

Thanks, I'll look into it.  She has a TON of leg hair though, and she won't get shown all glued up until the American Royal, so she'll be even hairier (I would think anyhow).  Thanks!

Edit: I looked into it, and they have a "gray" shade, and a western store less than an hour from here carries it. Next time I'm over in that area, I think I'll get a can just to play with.