PAY UR BILLS

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Jill said:
I guess I don't quite understand the issue here, you have created your own problem.  Why would you hold something as sold without payment?  We must be the exception to the rule, we sell on a first come first served basis and have never had a problem with someone not paying, we have sold with terms and they make payments, but I'm not holding one for anyone.  Am I missing something?

Geesh, and I'm the one that is an EXT daughter that just calved?  
The fella was just venting and maybe seeking some advice, and I think for the most part, he received some good advice.
My advice to roycattle: Take a deposit, set a time limit and have it signed on the receipt. When the date is passed, put in ONE call and tell them the calf is now for sale AGAIN. Don't deal with jocks or known ^%$holes and more importantly, if they scew you once, they will screw you again (unfortunately it is my nature to give second chances.... but not anymore!!)

I wish you luck.

Sly

Had my first one this year also.  I like the internet but probably will not sell anything to unknown people without the money up front.  I sold 2 calves this fall to a guy off of here.  Checked his background and everything. Called a few people and he had  a good rep.  Checked his website out and all looked good. For about two months now will not answer the phone or text me back. But he had the time and the money to have two display bulls in denver!!!  I will make sure to make his name mud and thats a fact

OH Breeder

Sly said:
Had my first one this year also.  I like the internet but probably will not sell anything to unknown people without the money up front.  I sold 2 calves this fall to a guy off of here.  Checked his background and everything. Called a few people and he had  a good rep.  Checked his website out and all looked good. For about two months now will not answer the phone or text me back. But he had the time and the money to have two display bulls in denver!!!  I will make sure to make his name mud and thats a fact

When you have a situation like that arise, you have to make sure that everyone understands they are SOLD. You know what I mean. Sometimes folks have a way of forgetting they promised to pay for calf and bought it. It stinks cuz you miss opportunities to sell other wise. I surely would let folks know in private if their name comes up on the classified list.

FJBogey

We have the opposite problem.  We just purchased a heifer in an on-line sale.  Talked to the breeder prior to bidding and he said no problem to get her to Denver.  We had 3 different rides home for her from the Stockyards.  He ended up getting her to a place about 45 min from Denver and we got her hauled home (Oregon) from there.  The problem is, the breeder has not answered or returned our calls since she left his place,  about 2 weeks ago.  We are trying to find out about the registration papers, and he appears to be ignoring us.  We have left messages, e-mails and even called the sale manager but with no results.  We sent payment promptly, by Fedex the next day after the auction.

If anybody has any advice, we'd like to hear it.  We just want to get the papers going so that our son can show her in about a month.  We have no idea why this breeder is ignoring us.

SKF

FJBogey said:
We have the opposite problem.  We just purchased a heifer in an on-line sale.  Talked to the breeder prior to bidding and he said no problem to get her to Denver.  We had 3 different rides home for her from the Stockyards.  He ended up getting her to a place about 45 min from Denver and we got her hauled home (Oregon) from there.  The problem is, the breeder has not answered or returned our calls since she left his place,  about 2 weeks ago.  We are trying to find out about the registration papers, and he appears to be ignoring us.  We have left messages, e-mails and even called the sale manager but with no results.  We sent payment promptly, by Fedex the next day after the auction.

If anybody has any advice, we'd like to hear it.  We just want to get the papers going so that our son can show her in about a month.  We have no idea why this breeder is ignoring us.

We have had that same problem. We bought a bull last year from a breeder from IA never had a problem getting a hold of him on the phone until the calf was paid for. Never heard from the guy again after serveral phone calls and emails. All I wanted was to reg. the calf. I will NEVER buy agin from a breeder who can not answer a phone call or email once they have sold the calf. We bought a heifer calf from a guy in OK about four years ago and this breeder has always stayed in touch with us even though we only bought the one calf. I check him out every year to see if has what we're looking for plus I always refer people to him. Have you tried call the breed association? I really don't know why some breeders ignor their buyers. Its not good for business. Good luck!!

Jill

SKF, we have held calves for kids waiting on fair checks, but I don't think that is what the original post was talking about.  We have purchased calves on the cow and picked them up and paid for them in the fall, but there has always been a pick up date and there wasn't a question of whether or not they were sold, if you didn't pay for them, they weren't sold.  I am not blasting anyone for how they do business, I'm just saying, we don't have the capitol to float our customers, if you do, more power to you.

feeder duck

FJBogey said:

My advice is to at some point stop referring to them as " a breeder" and refer to them by name. You do not have to slander them. Simply state can anyone tell me how to get in touch with  ................  we purchased a calf from him. We would like to get papers put on said calf, BUT ......... will not return our calls or e-mails.

You will find out real fast if he is an !@#. If she was purchased in a sale with a reputable "sale manager" and the sale stated said calf was registered. The sale was backed by the standard guarantees of a specific Assoc.  I would have my lawyer send them a nice letter.

It is sad that there are so many !@## out there, but on the other hand they are great for business for the rest of us. No one wants to buy from them.

Jeff

SKF

Jill said:
SKF, we have held calves for kids waiting on fair checks, but I don't think that is what the original post was talking about.  We have purchased calves on the cow and picked them up and paid for them in the fall, but there has always been a pick up date and there wasn't a question of whether or not they were sold, if you didn't pay for them, they weren't sold.  I am not blasting anyone for how they do business, I'm just saying, we don't have the capitol to float our customers, if you do, more power to you.

I have people hold a calf for us for a month until the kids fair checks came through without any money down and we paid them as soon as we got our check. I also have held a calf as sold for kids for a month while they wait to get their checks. I do not have the capital to float our customers either. The original post was about people saying they were buying a calf and then you hold for the for what ever reason until they can pick it up and pay for it then not following through on their word. I have many times especially for local kids who I know have to wait until the check comes through for the calve they just sold to pay for their new one. If some sellers did not do that for some kids they would not get the calves they really want and you wanted to know why some people would consider a calf sold without any money down well thats how by trying to helo people out. Now with so many calves being sold over the internet you no longer can just trust someones word. I still do it for local kids but not for anyone out of state.

jasper

roycattle said:
I wish there was a place on the net to post all the people that speak for cattle then never pay.  I had 3 different people who spoke for calves this fall and still have not paid. The good news is that i still have the calves. Bad news i could have sold them to a real customer!!! All 3 saw pictures on the internet. For now on I'm taking money down to hold for 2 weeks. Its amazing how easy it is to get ah old of someone until you call to collect. Get a life people if you dont have the money then don't inquire about the stock because you are wasting my time! This is why I post all my info on my calves i do not want to pm...CALL me  and if you dont have the money then dont call!!!!  Most of the cattle producers are spending countless hours in the barn calving out cows.  The last thing we need is a lost sales opportunity because someones head is larger than there pocketbook.  Guess i just needed to vent, it would be nice to have a deadbeat list that may save some headaches in the future.  

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry this happened to you. It really sucks that people do that crap, and their words arent worth a da%^.  Hope it all works out.