Perfect Timing heifer PICS!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Okay everyone, I know I've talked alot about this bull, and the heifer that I have out of him. Well, here she is, let me know what you think of her.  Personally I think shes a good heifer.  Not the best, but pretty dang good.  Just to make it clear, she is  May 07 and out of a Sonny cow
I like the before and after thing, so here we go!

As a baby

roanheifer.jpg

Today

100_0070.jpg

showsteerdlux

She is impressive. I'm assuming that you are keeping her to show because she is a dandy. She looks like she could use a little more lenght through her front end but other than that nice calf.

CPL

Wow nice heifer! Would like to lax her tailhead, but in the first picture it doesn't even look like it would have been a problem. Anyway, good muscle, right amount of bone, striaght lines, thick, enuff length, and very very very attractive looking! You're planning on showing her right?  (clapping)

shortyjock89

Thanks guys, yeah I plan on showing her.  Shes the best calf we raised this year.  Her tailhead looks like that because of a tailwind coming in at about 20 mph.  I didnt like the wind, but wanted the picture lol.  Her momma's gettin flushed back to the same bull next spring...if anyone is wanting some of those embryos, lemme know.

shortyjock89

Yes I sure will. Will you be there? If you are, and want to some by the stalls to see her and our other calves, look for us out in the poll barns behind the brick barns. We are Olson Family Shorthorns. I can't wait to get this heifer out to a show.

AAOK

Very fancy heifer shortyjock 89.  I would lkie to see her longer in her body.  Heifers at this level of maturity at this age tend to scare me as where they'll be at two years.  Looks like a Great Jackpot calf.

OH Breeder

I would say she doesn' t need a thing. Her breeding shows. I really like her. I personally like her tailhead. Taller the better. You did a GREAT job clipping! Nice....

shortyjock89

Hey thanks alot everyone, for taking the time to look at my little girl there.  I appreciate all the kind words, and the helpful pointers.  I know shes not perfect, but she is my little sweetheart and when they have some quality, working with them is just that much more fun.  Now that you've seen this calf, would you say that Perfect Timing has a viable place in the club calf world? I know that one good calf can be a fluke, but I don't think that's what's happening here.  If you guys like the way she looks, we have a full sib, and about half a dozen half sibs on the way for this spring, if you're close enough, I would love it for any of you to stop by and take a look.  KDSC I PM'd you.  Again, thanks everyone, I'm really glad you like my heifer  (lol)

CPL

OH Breeder said:
I personally like her tailhead. Taller the better. You did a GREAT job clipping! Nice....

Would you mind explaining your reasoning?

TottenClubCalves

she is an awesome heifer in my opinion if I could change one thing I'd like to give her a little more depth of flank other than that she's a fancy heifer. No matter if she was a decent heifer or an outstanding heifer breeding yourself and having a calf like that is something to be proud of. Also using that bull when no one really knew about him was a risk on your part, alot of people like a guarantee on a bull but you did was outstanding you did your research and took the risk, your an entrepreuner and your off to a great start. Keep those good ones comin  :)

shortyjock89

Hey, thanks..I would like to see her with a little more flank too, but I figure that most of the calves that appear super deep flanked at her age are mostly just hair down there, and her hair is comin on, so by expo (late feb) it should look perfect.  This heifer is out of my fifth calf crop..if she does as well as I hope she does, we will have raised a champion 4 out of the 5 years that I have calved one of my own cows.  Not too bad, not to me anyhow.  But, I haven't done it by myself, I have my dad, who had cattle until he was about 20, then sold them all off until about 12 years later, so he knew a little. I have learned alot, and I hope to be even better at this in another 10 years. 

CPL

I don't know if we're going to the expo or not (if we were it'd just to look around and watch the herf sale) but if I do I'll look her up. Good Luck!

OH Breeder

CPL said:
OH Breeder said:
I personally like her tailhead. Taller the better. You did a GREAT job clipping! Nice....

It may not be rooted in to any breeding program, personal opinion I just like the look it gives a calf when they have a high tail head. I think it really makes them stand out. Kadabara tends to add some tail head. Some folks don't like it I do.

CPL

OH Breeder said:
CPL said:
OH Breeder said:

It may not be rooted in to any breeding program, personal opinion I just like the look it gives a calf when they have a high tail head. I think it really makes them stand out. Kadabara tends to add some tail head. Some folks don't like it I do.

I have heard that the higher tailheaded cows can often recieve injury when they are ridden roughly by bigger type bulls. Also, through another message board like this, someone claims that bulls have actually "rejected" servicing cows with higher tailheads because they can get hurt as well. I don't suppose you've had any experience with the higher tail heads in that direction?