Pet Pieve

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnwayne

I have a pet peeve.  Before I get to this I know this goes on everywhere and this is how the game is played, or at least how some people play the game.  I know that there are families out there that have more money than since and it is about winning at all cost.  I am a firm believer in winning. There has to be winners and losers in everything not everything is going to be equal.  So to my point.  My pet peeve is this those families that have kids who stay in their their 350,000.00 campers until it is time to show never feeding, washing or even blowing out the calves before they show, they come out of the camper when it is time to show handed a calf by their handler and told where the ring is, then they hand the calf over to a handler and back to the camper.  What are we teaching our kids by doing this? or what are the other kids learning by seeing things like this go On?

rkmn

I don't care for it either.
Keep competing the way you feel it should be done. Your kids will thank you some day.

goodnight

rkmn said:
I don't care for it either.
Keep competing the way you feel it should be done. Your kids will thank you some day.

When I turned 16, my parents told me it was time to go to shows by myself. I went to the NJAS in KC by myself when I was 17 for a full week. I am not saying that is right either, but I sure learned a lot of life lessons about how to make it alone. We made a ton of mistakes, but guess who had to clean them up? You guessed it. Looking back, I won't do that to my kid, but he will certainly be doing the lion share of the work. It wouldn't hurt him to negotiate 670 in KC at 8:30 AM with a 24 foot trailer, either ;) (what was my dad thinking?).

shortyjock89

I've never seen a situation quite like the one you explained, Johnwayne....but I can't stand the whiny rich kids that think they're better than everyone else.

I went to my first show alone when I was 16, and went to NAILE by myself when I was 18....to be honest, I think its easier for me if Dad doesn't go, except when he wants to see us show.  He just shows up on show day most of the time.  I don't think I could turn my sister loose with the truck and trailer now, and she's 18....just doesn't seem right that she is old enough to be doing that.

flacowman

My first "independent" show was our county fat steer show 3 days after my 16th birthday...I always did the vast majority of my fitting anyways so the pulling was the only real change.  I was scared witless but wouldn't change it for anything.  I showed with the kids that did nothing BUT show and always felt accomplished when I beat them.  The greatest sense of success was my senior year state fair when I won both with my steer and commercial heifer, neither of which had been touched by anyone but myself and my best friend.  Those typed of experiences are what endeared me to the entire industry, not just the show side of it.

CPL

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I don't think I could turn my sister loose with the truck and trailer now, and she's 18....just doesn't seem right that she is old enough to be doing that.

Sometimes I wonder if some parents get the same feelings with their kids.

I know the whole handler thing happens and everything, but what about the times when the parents just flat out do the work. Maybe it's not the case in 100% of the time, but atleast sometimes I see the parents not letting the kid do the work. Some of these parents I think are kind of re-living their days through their kids. I know there are some parents who's kids would never be able to please them and it just works out better if they do the fitting, clipping, etc. I don't think that is right, because sometimes it will make the kid seem lazy when they're really not.

While we're on the topic, one thing I do absolutely dispise is when parents do even the "little" things. I was at a show a few weeks ago where a couple kids, as soon as they walked out of the ring handed their calf over to their dads and walked to the Lemonade Stand, etc. Really? You just walked the calf around the ring, set it up and everything, but now you can't take it back the stalls- replace the show halter with a rope halter and tie her back up?!?!?!

Diamond

and said kids will be in for a rude awakening when employment time rolls around. I have to disagree with the whole 'rich' kid part though, I have seen plenty of your average Joe kids acting the same way, while kids who’s parents are well off dive right into working with their calves, and devote a lot of there time to them.

I have to say my pet peeve would be people who hate on others just because they have better calves that are also presented better, really…Come on now, the whole dirty look thing, just sad. .. Especially adults who pull that on hard working kids, I don’t think anything grinds me quite like that.

LostFarmer

There will always be someone with more money, better looking, and .... than you.  Get over it and do the best you can with what you have.  That said, I used to judge a few dairy shows and in fitting and showing I had a couple of quick questions that separated the kids.  The first was who fit your animal?  The followup was why did you clip it in this location like that?  It became clear which kids were handlers and which did the project.  The show ring questions were huge in my book.  I wasn't looking for an answer in specific but to see what the kid knew about the project.  At a recent jackpot I witnessed a kids ask which pig is mine.  My kids are wanting more competitive animals which is great, but they have to show me their best with a plain old feeder steer before I will make the investment.  We are not raising cattle we are raising kids. 

Dozer45

I have to agree with Diamond, I will never knock on a hard working showman no matter how much/little money they have. I show agains another girl that is just a lazy slob who stands there eating doughnuts while her dad is blowing her calf out. She then goes in with a dirty stained shirt that she didnt bother to change and wins showmanship. Dont get me wrong she is a good showman but there is no pride there at all.

johnwayne

Guys, thanks for reading my post, I was venting more than anything, I will brag on my two sons (12 and 9)  MY boys need direction, but once given they hop to it. my oldest does not want me clipping much any more because he says I cant see worth a darn with my glasses on.  I don't blame him, I want him to learn from the ground up.  I love and enjoy being out there with them as much as anything.  We have a small commercial operation as well as purebred cattle mixed in with our cattle we are breeding to get show steers and heifers.  The boys are very hands on and enjoy prepping the cattle for A.I. work.  We are starting to do some embryo work and both seem as excited about that as anything. One day we hope to raise a calf to be competitive with those that are being sold and shown that 30k mark.  Our goal is and will always be to learn from what we are doing, I preach to my boys go into learn from it and grow from it we can only get better.  Good Luck and Thanks for all the comments.

The Show

@ rasor: Hang in there kid, your way better off than the kid sitting on the box texting. Someday maybe you can be one of those 5 guys and that's where the real fun is at. I graduated HS this year and I started clipping when I was 15. I had a friend/mentor that taught me how to clip and fit and now I'm one of those 5 guys. The way I look at it is, all these rich people need somebody to fit & clip their calves and I want to be that person.

With that being said, my pet peeve is people who despise the fitters that work for rich people. I've done a few jobs where the kid didn't see the calf until the day before the show and I got paid by his dad to take care of the calf everyday. I don't think it's right that the kid has nothing to do with the calf, but that's life. If I turn down the job there will be somebody right behind me ready to take it. As long as there's money involved it's gonna happen.

Diamond

rasor club calves said:
If you walked around the "fitting barn" as I call it (llama barn , they leave the day after the fair starts and everone puts there chutes in there) haha you would see me (12)  and me only by my self clipping my steer . no dad . i have seen 5 guys working on the reserve steer and the exsibitor sitting on the show box texting. Yeah you could say i'm jealous somewat but that it just how it goes :'(

Keep at it, I was in your shoe when I was your age and I lost more often then placed. However, it gave me the determination to ask questions, read, watch, attend majors, but mostly work my tail end off. When I was 18  I won champion showman at every show I entered into, and now I own some great cattle. Best part of it, I bought my cattle, fit my cattle (sometimes I have one good friend who helps) , and raised my cattle myself and you know what, its all the sweeter when you earn your banner that way :p

Torch

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I've never seen a situation quite like the one you explained, Johnwayne....but I can't stand the whiny rich kids that think they're better than everyone else.

I can't stand the whiny rich kid's fitters. Take up the whole isle, complain about all the kids being in the way, go around telling some kids if they wait they will fit them up right and then never show up. But most of all I can't stand it after the show is over, for them, they break out the beer and stand in the isle telling all the kids to find some other way to the ring.

JMO

Show Heifer

Torch, problem is most of the families that hire those fitters (which, if I recall is against Jr show rules?) do not have a pot to pee in, so the last thing they need to spend money on is a "hired fitter".  But, they want to look "important" so they hire them, wait on them hand and foot, and then buy the beer after. They then worry about having enough gas money to get home.  Yep, teaching the kids a wonderful lesson there.

That being said, that is life. Someone will always have more money, better connections, and will have lower morals. Many are willing to do ANYTHING to get ahead, cheat more, lie more, etc.  Get used to it.  Sometimes you win, many times you won't. You will get more from "not winning" than you ever will from "winning".

Show livestock because you ENJOY it, not to win, not to prove who you are, but for the love of it.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

tale as old as time. Get used to it, some folks want it more than others. The real question is do you have the balls to do the work and beat them.

wowcows

This will be a little off what this thread was started out to be but to the guys that posted that they are one of the 5 guys at the chute and the way I read it you have made it to the top of the game. Let me tell ya'. I have been one of those 5 guys. It was fun and great at the time but if you all think it is the "top". NOT, when you get some age on you will understand. Can't see, shakes, oh those poor knees just to name a few. When you guys are ready to figure it out! Get your cows put together, breed them right, pay for the farm and all that and then you will be closer to the top, or one of those 5 guys at the chute.
I love going out and spanking those that think they have it all going on.

LostFarmer

It honestly has nothing to do with money.  Rich or poor isn't the issue.  It is the values that you are teaching your kids.  Neighbors wanted to do pigs.  I have helped them find quality pigs for reasonable prices.  Sell them feed from a pallet that I bought in bulk.  The father is a school counselor/teacher and the mother stays at home.  Money is snug but not hugely tight.  Kids are 13, 11, and 8.  Dad gets up every morning to do the chores and leaves the kids in bed.  Dad walks the pig in the morning cool the kids are inside.  Then they wonder why the kids don't put much effort into school.  I keep telling them in as politically correct way as possible that he is making the kids useless by picking up the pieces instead of letting them fail.  Far better to fail when making weight is the biggest worry.  Those kids are in bed at 9:30 am and then the mom was complaining that the kids just wouldn't get to bed.  In my mind there is an easy solution.  When you get up at 5:30 to change water you are darn glad to find the pillow.  Give kids meaningful responsibility and let them sink or swim.  LF

aj

I hate it when I go to take mineral to a pasture of cows.....I get there....check water.....check cattle......then realize I forgot to throw the bag of mineral in pickup.

Torch

Show Heifer said:
Torch, problem is most of the families that hire those fitters (which, if I recall is against Jr show rules?) do not have a pot to pee in, so the last thing they need to spend money on is a "hired fitter".  But, they want to look "important" so they hire them, wait on them hand and foot, and then buy the beer after. They then worry about having enough gas money to get home.  Yep, teaching the kids a wonderful lesson there.

That being said, that is life. Someone will always have more money, better connections, and will have lower morals. Many are willing to do ANYTHING to get ahead, cheat more, lie more, etc.  Get used to it.  Sometimes you win, many times you won't. You will get more from "not winning" than you ever will from "winning".

Show livestock because you ENJOY it, not to win, not to prove who you are, but for the love of it.

I do love it. And I try not to dwell on it. It is just sad that with livestock raising and showing having so much to offer to a family that some find a way to miss it. :'(

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
tale as old as time. Get used to it, some folks want it more than others. The real question is do you have the balls to do the work and beat them.

Did top them in class and some how that translated to them that we were pals with the judge. And that it was OK to tell my 13 year old brother he did a lousy job fitting his steer. Well at least he did it himself with Dad just suggesting what needed to be worked on. (Oops! I just defended my brother!! I'll never hear the end of it if he finds out. :eek:)

kobo_ranch

The thing is there are so many variables.  Rich, poor, age of kids, ranch/or no ranch, doing it as a business,  or just for the kids.  I showed as a kid (age 12-16) and absolutely loved it.  My Dad made me do all the work.  Bought cheap calves, raised a few.  I even remember hooking the trailer up by myself at about 15-16 and going to the showbarn by myself.  The days have certainly changed since then.  After I got married me and husband worked for years before getting back to the ranch (and working some more!)  My kids showed goats cause they were cheap and easy since we didn't live on the ranch.  Now that back there our youngest son (going to be senior) is into everything. But since Mom loved it) I just insisted he show cattle his last two years of High School  (what can I say reliving my childhood) Plus I wanted to get into the business with a few of the cows (breeding/AIing).  Its not that he doesn't try to work with the calves and do most of the work he just doesn't have the time.  (varsity football, class president, plays drums in a band) sooo.... Mom and Dad do most of the work.  Its just like everything else so many variables come into play.  But I agree if you have a younger child they need to be interested and get in there and do most of the work and like it.  It helps to start 'em young.  You'll know after a while if they like it or not.