Pet Pieve

Help Support Steer Planet:

The Show

wowcows said:
This will be a little off what this thread was started out to be but to the guys that posted that they are one of the 5 guys at the chute and the way I read it you have made it to the top of the game. Let me tell ya'. I have been one of those 5 guys. It was fun and great at the time but if you all think it is the "top". NOT, when you get some age on you will understand. Can't see, shakes, oh those poor knees just to name a few. When you guys are ready to figure it out! Get your cows put together, breed them right, pay for the farm and all that and then you will be closer to the top, or one of those 5 guys at the chute.
I love going out and spanking those that think they have it all going on.
Eh I wouldn't say I'm at the top. I'd say I'm good, but definitely not the best. It's fun right now like you say and I love every minute of it. Like I said before though, the money is just icing on the cake. I'm not trying to make a living fitting cattle like some people out there. I've got a small breeding program of about 20 PB simmy cows right now and I don't see it ever getting over 30. I do it because I enjoy it. In reality I'll probably fit another 5-6 years and then I'll become too busy to do it anymore. I'll still run my small operation and sell a few show calves here and there, and clip one or two every now and again. I didn't mean to come across as being on the top and thinking I have it all going on; hopefully this clarifies it.

Will

I had an interesting conversation with our one of my wife's friends who grew up in a city.  She found it hard to believe our 8 year old would get up everyday on his own and feed his calves.  He has a fall born  show hiefer and a twin that he has raised on a bottle(fed it 3-4 times a day for two months almost broke dear old dad).  He plans on showing them here in a couple weeks for the first time.  His mother and I help with the breaking and tieing up but the feeding is his responsibility.  When we went on vacation it was his job to make arraignment for them to be fed.  She never said it but I could tell she was concerned when he went out and slipped a halter on a 650# calf.  But he has played with those calves so much they are absolute pets.  They were not the best we had but he picked what ones he wanted to show, so he has ownership in his project.  He also has to let me know when he is out of feed so it can be ordered.  He was very upset the first time he forgot and they had to just eat hay one evening and no feed.  Now he does not get close to running out.  I have been very proud of the way he has worked with his projects. 

loveRedcows

Will said:
I had an interesting conversation with our one of my wife's friends who grew up in a city.  She found it hard to believe our 8 year old would get up everyday on his own and feed his calves.  He has a fall born  show hiefer and a twin that he has raised on a bottle(fed it 3-4 times a day for two months almost broke dear old dad).  He plans on showing them here in a couple weeks for the first time.  His mother and I help with the breaking and tieing up but the feeding is his responsibility.  When we went on vacation it was his job to make arraignment for them to be fed.  She never said it but I could tell she was concerned when he went out and slipped a halter on a 650# calf.  But he has played with those calves so much they are absolute pets.  They were not the best we had but he picked what ones he wanted to show, so he has ownership in his project.  He also has to let me know when he is out of feed so it can be ordered.  He was very upset the first time he forgot and they had to just eat hay one evening and no feed.  Now he does not get close to running out.  I have been very proud of the way he has worked with his projects. 
Good for you!  Values & responsibility aren't encouraged near enough these days.  Your youngster will most likely succeed as an adult where most of the pampered brats won't.

cowzrus

Only we as adults can teach our kids that hard work and values are what is important in life, and unfortunately we will always have those that have the money, and influence to rise to the top because of it.  To this day I thank my family for giving me the life of a farm kid and the values I have.  The hard work I did as a child and probably complained about quite a bit has helped me to be an individual I can live with.

steerjock48

i got my first calf when 1 was 10 and that was the only  time i sat and watched  i went to my first show with out mom and dad when i was 13 and that  was the best show i ever went to because i didn't get yelled at for stupid stuff  I'm 16 now and go to every show i can with Friends and did all the work,payed my own entry fees,and bought all my own cattle myself

Show Heifer

The three hardest ways to get to the top:  Doing something illegal so your always looking over your shoulder instead of where you need to be going
                                                                      Looking down your nose at those that work hard, and do it themselves. Hard to look forward when your looking down.
                                                                      Finding the way to the top with your head on the pillow and your fingers holding a video game.

The sense of pride of doing your best, while obeying the rules, and succeeding on your account is second to none... regardless of where you are standing!